Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,931 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My family will be relocating to the Phoenix area within the next few months and I'm looking for some advice.

The two areas I've been focusing on are Verrado and Eastmark and I have yet to find a forum specifically comparing the two.

My husband will be working from home so location isn't too much of a concern
Based on online research I like Eastmark because
variety of stores within a short drive
schools seem better

I like Verrado because
schools within neighborhood
walking distance to pharmacy, small supermarket, recreation
scenery

I love the idea of living in a master planned community with recreation, schools and commercial shopping areas within walking distance. We want a community we can live in for 20+ years (upgrade our house if we choose), with good schools for our very young children and a real sense of community.

As for a house, we are looking for 4+ bedrooms and would like to stay under $400K

If you were in our situation, which would you chose? Why? Would you chose a different community altogether?

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 PM

346 posts, read 549,096 times
We actually chose another DMB master planned community, Marley Park, in Surprise. We loved Verrado but it is just so BIG and the infrastructure just isn't there yet; we love living in what feels like a small town (with an A+ K-8 elementary school in the heart of the community) but being only a few minutes away from all the restaurants, shopping and medical/dental we could possibly ask for. (Some parts of the community are within walking distance of the Plaza that has Basha's grocery store, a bank, salon, karate studio, dentist, etc. and it's within biking distance for the whole community.)

What first drew us to Marley Park was the architectural diversity of the homes (a mix of Craftsman, Farmhouse, Bungalow, Mission, and Territorial Ranch styles, all with varying setbacks) and all the trees (over 6,000) and green grass. We decided to buy here because of the community.

Community engagement here in Marley Park is amazing. There are signature events for residents sponsored by the community association (like the 4th of July poolside BBQ, the Halloween Boo Bash, dive-in movies at the pool), a ton of resident-run events (my husband is in charge of the 4th of July Parade - think Scout troops and decorated bikes - plus there is a Pet Pawstume Parade and pumpkin carving for Halloween, an Easter Egg Hunt (this year with 6,000+ eggs), gingerbread house decorating at Christmas, neighborhood block parties, etc.), resident clubs for every interest (bunco, beer and wine clubs, frisbee clubs, softball teams, book clubs, gardening clubs, etc.). The amenities are great, too: we have two community pools with a splash pad, a clubhouse with meeting rooms and a big lawn area, 17 private neighborhood parks (with play structures, gazebos, splash pads, etc.) and pedestrian walking paths, plus a 26 acre public park with lighted ball fields, a gazebo, playground, ramadas and picnic tables.

We are literally 5 minutes from a beautiful regional public library (Maricopa County has a great library system), the Surprise Aquatic Center, the city Tennis & Racquet complex (with 25+ courts and lessons for tennis, racquetball, table tennis and pickle ball for kids and adults) and the Surprise Stadium (where the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals play during spring training).

We have been here almost two years now (we both work from home as well) and couldn't be happier. You should definitely come see Marley Park and see if it's the right place for you, too.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Thank you for your response! Marley Park does seem to be a well liked area and the amenities you described are just what we are looking for. I see the elementary and middle school are highly rated like you said but, the high school is not. Is the high school really that bad? Do most parents send their children to Dysart or to another school?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:18 PM

My daughter goes to Dysart and loves it. (I am picky about schools, too. I used to teach elementary school and she transferred in from one of the top rated IB schools at our last location.) Arizona allows you to choice into other schools so some neighbourhood kids go to Shadow Ridge, Willow Canyon or Valley Vista (depending on where their interests lie). You can also choose one of the charter schools - Paradise Honors, Imagine Prep, or the new Highland Prep opening in the fall. BASIS is also considering opening a school in Surprise. Things will change a lot before your kids are in high school but there are tons of options nearby here, which is a huge advantage.

Both the schools in the neighbourhood, Marley Park and Legacy Traditional Charter School, are single campus K-8 schools; I would recommend looking at homes in the older, more established section of Marley Park (there are still some new construction homes going in but not a lot) first. Your home school will be MP Elementary (Legacy is just across the street) and you will be closer to the amenities. Each of the neighbourhoods is built around a neighbourhood park so you will always be close to play areas and green space which means you kids will make friends easily!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am the Chairman of the resident-run Welcome Committee (every new resident gets a visit from Their neighbourhood ambassador and a gift and is invited to our welcome brunch) so there isn't a lot about Marley Park I don't know!

Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM

197 posts, read 271,217 times
You could double my salary and I wouldn't live in either verrado or Eastmark. Both are communities in the absolute middle of nowhere in undesirable areas. They are cheap for a reason. They are nice, but way too far away.

If you have a family, Chandler, Gilbert or Scottsdale are the only places in Phoenix suburbs where I'd want to raise a family.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:07 PM

MRSMAC, it is so helpful to hear your thoughts on the schools based on your experience as a parent and a former teacher. I am sold on Marley Park and have added it to my list of communities. Unfortunately, as of now, there are no houses on the market that fit our needs and wants but I will keep looking because I like the location and amenities.

AZJD, thank you as well for your feedback. Aside being in the middle of nowhere, are their other attributes that make those communities undesirable (mindset, crime, etc)?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad a View Post
MRSMAC, it is so helpful to hear your thoughts on the schools based on your experience as a parent and a former teacher. I am sold on Marley Park and have added it to my list of communities. Unfortunately, as of now, there are no houses on the market that fit our needs and wants but I will keep looking because I like the location and amenities.

AZJD, thank you as well for your feedback. Aside being in the middle of nowhere, are their other attributes that make those communities undesirable (mindset, crime, etc)?
They actually are great designed communities. Just way too far away from jobs and attractions. I prefer the east valley suburbs over west valley. Chandler, Gilbert and Scottsdale are the best.

Eastmark will be nice, but way too far away. I'd never live that far away but that's just my desire.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 PM

For $400k, get an entry level home in McDowell Mountain Ranch in Scottsdale. Perfect location, top notch schools, at the base of the mountain, your own golf course owned by Phil Mickelson's group, and a ton of amenities and aquatic center.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am the Chairman of the resident-run Welcome Committee (every new resident gets a visit from Their neighbourhood ambassador and a gift and is invited to our welcome brunch) so there isn't a lot about Marley Park I don't know!
Interesting; we are very interested in a house just west of there, between 175th and Citrus, just north of Cactus road
Are things getting built up that far west, or is it still in the middle of nowhere?

We are retired/work from home, so proximity to the metro area isnt an issue for us

thanks!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Interesting; we are very interested in a house just west of there, between 175th and Citrus, just north of Cactus road
Are things getting built up that far west, or is it still in the middle of nowhere?

We are retired/work from home, so proximity to the metro area isnt an issue for us

thanks!
When it comes to development, the 303 (AKA the Bob Stumpf Memorial Highway) is the dividing line; Surprise is definitely more developed east of the 303 Loop. Now that it is completed, though (just in the last year) and it is available for use by commuters that part of town is beginning to see an influx of more new housing, retail and restaurants. (Keep in mind that area is still only 10 minutes or so from all the shopping/dining on Bell Rd. so it's not out in the middle of nowhere.) Nothing in Surprise is in the middle of nowhere any more; people looking for that are leaving Surprise and heading out to places like Goodyear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area