Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

It doesn't have to be pre-67 to qualify as historic as far as I know. I owned a 1973 motorcycle that couldn't pass (back when they tested bikes), so I just got a Haggerty policy and used the historic vehicle exemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
But its a new "fiberglass special" with new Mustang drivetrain. Why would he title it a '67? If its a Superformance kit or whatnot, there isn't one ounce of 1967 in it. Nor is the 5.0L (old or Coyote) that will inevitably be stuffed in it.

OP, just please leave the "289" or "427" badges off of it.

I'd love to stuff Coyote power in anything. But probably going with SB Ford punched to 427 cubes, but will run Ford EFI. In all reality, the combo could pass the sniffer if registered as, say, a 1990 Mustang as the state would have a fairly high allowance for the year due to the age, but it would be a newly rebuilt or crate motor. When I was stationed in CA, I had this same issue with an '88 Mustang that I had done a rebuild and mild cam, heads, intake, injectors, etc. on. It flew by the sniffer, but when he lifted the hood I failed because I had a K&N intake on it. Had to find another guy with a Mustang and borrow his intake to pass smog lol.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It doesn't have to be pre-67 to qualify as historic as far as I know. I owned a 1973 motorcycle that couldn't pass (back when they tested bikes), so I just got a Haggerty policy and used the historic vehicle exemption.
That's odd. So even though everything in his kit car is basically brand new, he can register it as a "historic/classic" to bypass emissions? I should slap a A/C Cobra badge on my car and register it as a "classic", too.

Long story short, a simple badge from a historic nameplate slapped on a new kit car doesn't make it a "classic".

Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I'd love to stuff Coyote power in anything. But probably going with SB Ford punched to 427 cubes, but will run Ford EFI. In all reality, the combo could pass the sniffer if registered as, say, a 1990 Mustang as the state would have a fairly high allowance for the year due to the age, but it would be a newly rebuilt or crate motor. When I was stationed in CA, I had this same issue with an '88 Mustang that I had done a rebuild and mild cam, heads, intake, injectors, etc. on. It flew by the sniffer, but when he lifted the hood I failed because I had a K&N intake on it. Had to find another guy with a Mustang and borrow his intake to pass smog lol.
Ahhh, good ol CARB. Screw that crap.

Good luck with your build!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
That's odd. So even though everything in his kit car is basically brand new, he can register it as a "historic/classic" to bypass emissions? I should slap a A/C Cobra badge on my car and register it as a "classic", too.

Long story short, a simple badge from a historic nameplate slapped on a new kit car doesn't make it a "classic".

I think the key is that you have to have it insured by a classic insurance carrier, such as Hagarty. My guess is they're not going to insure a 1991 Buick Century no matter what... even with the AC badge on it lol

So basically, the state is entrusting the classic insurers to decipher what is a classic/special interest/collector vehicle and then register it as such.

Big Cat, I'm actually going to channel my experience and that of a few friends that build Mustangs back in the day and see if I can earn a certified builder status to market built Cobras or build them for others per manufacturers suggestion. Purely part time, but a lifetime dream. I figure PHX would be a good market for that.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I think the key is that you have to have it insured by a classic insurance carrier, such as Hagarty. My guess is they're not going to insure a 1991 Buick Century no matter what... even with the AC badge on it lol

So basically, the state is entrusting the classic insurers to decipher what is a classic/special interest/collector vehicle and then register it as such.

Big Cat, I'm actually going to channel my experience and that of a few friends that build Mustangs back in the day and see if I can earn a certified builder status to market built Cobras or build them for others per manufacturers suggestion. Purely part time, but a lifetime dream. I figure PHX would be a good market for that.
That's a heck of a dream! Good luck with it, I'm jealous. And yes, there is a huge market for those here. I cant go a week w/o seeing a Cobra replica rolling around. They all have the obligatory 5.0 in them (the shifter gives it away), but still cool nonetheless.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:34 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:

No, that I'm not sure of. I was just saying that in my experience 1967 wasn't the cutoff year for a historic vehicle exemption, as mine was a 1973. Probably irrelevant given the OP's build though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area