Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,937 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I will be relocating from Champaign, IL to the Phoenix, AZ area this fall for a job at Midwestern University.

It's apparent that traffic can be a problem, so my questions for those experienced with this area are:

1) What is the "reverse" commute everyone mentions?
2) Are there any great areas near Midwestern for apartment rentals that don't have horrific traffic?
3) Is the traffic around Westgate crazy all this time? Housing around there is close to both fitness and doggie daycare, but am not sure if I am going to regret the traffic, even though it looks like a reasonable commute to Midwestern.

Would really appreciate anyone's opinions!

Thanks,
Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM

639 posts, read 971,133 times
There are a ton of apartments in that area within a very short commute and they are in nice complexes. I want to say the 101 and maybe 83rd Ave? I don't know how much they are but I've been in several - I have lots of clients that attend Midwestern - and they've all been nice.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katielbaker View Post
Hi All!

I will be relocating from Champaign, IL to the Phoenix, AZ area this fall for a job at Midwestern University.

It's apparent that traffic can be a problem, so my questions for those experienced with this area are:

1) What is the "reverse" commute everyone mentions?
2) Are there any great areas near Midwestern for apartment rentals that don't have horrific traffic?
3) Is the traffic around Westgate crazy all this time? Housing around there is close to both fitness and doggie daycare, but am not sure if I am going to regret the traffic, even though it looks like a reasonable commute to Midwestern.

Would really appreciate anyone's opinions!

Thanks,
Katie

The phrase "reverse commute" refers to a commute that goes in the opposite direction of the heaviest traffic. Typically, that means a commute from a downtown or central city location out to a suburban location. Since the bulk of traffic is usually headed inbound toward downtown, a reverse commute heading outbound is often less congested.

In the case of loop freeways, like the 101 near Midwestern, that logic breaks down somewhat. Because loop freeways enable suburb-to-suburb commutes, traffic is less one-sided and you may find congestion in both directions during rush hour. For that reason, I'd reiterate the recommendation to live nearby on the north side of Glendale.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
Traffic around Midwestern isn't too bad. I used to be a delivery driver in that area. 59th can get busy when Midwestern and Honeywell are beginning or ending their days, but not nearly as bad as more centralized locations in the city.

The neighborhoods around Midwestern are very nice, from Union Hills up to the mountains, and from 51st Ave west all the way to Hwy 101. It's known as the Arrowhead area of Glendale. Depending on your budget, you should be able to find a nice place close to campus. There are 3 apartment complexes right across 59th Ave from campus (walking distance). One is on Utopia, the others are on Behrend across from the shopping center.

Westgate is a bit of a drive from there, but would be all highway. That would be mostly a "reverse commute," at least from Westgate up around to about 67th Ave.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM

94 posts, read 119,571 times
You can rent a place in walking distance, literally right across the street. Why do you want to commute?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
Plenty of good apartment options in North Glendale close to Midwestern. Pretty much everything you'd want or need can be found on Bell Rd. About the only downside is that Bell Rd. east of the 101 can be really busy, especially during snowbird season with the traffic to/from Sun City and baseball games at Peoria Stadium. That can be avoided if you travel east/west on other roads like Union Hills and drop south to Bell where you need to.

Westgate has some restaurants, entertainment, and shopping, but things you need in your daily life (grocery stores, gyms, gas stations, etc) aren't real close yet. It'll be built out in 5-10 years, but right now I wouldn't want to live around there. If you want to do things at Westgate, it'd be an easy 15-20 minute drive down the 101 from North Glendale. You could look at places east of Midwestern, but you'd be battling traffic on the 101 both ways once you got close to the 17 and not gaining many benefits. Stick close.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,937 times
Thank you to everyone who replied to my questions! I appreciate the "insider" knowledge of the area!

Katie

Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 PM

893 posts, read 885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
Plenty of good apartment options in North Glendale close to Midwestern. Pretty much everything you'd want or need can be found on Bell Rd. About the only downside is that Bell Rd. east of the 101 can be really busy, especially during snowbird season with the traffic to/from Sun City and baseball games at Peoria Stadium. That can be avoided if you travel east/west on other roads like Union Hills and drop south to Bell where you need to.

Westgate has some restaurants, entertainment, and shopping, but things you need in your daily life (grocery stores, gyms, gas stations, etc) aren't real close yet. It'll be built out in 5-10 years, but right now I wouldn't want to live around there. If you want to do things at Westgate, it'd be an easy 15-20 minute drive down the 101 from North Glendale. You could look at places east of Midwestern, but you'd be battling traffic on the 101 both ways once you got close to the 17 and not gaining many benefits. Stick close.
I have a child heading to Midwestern and will be living off of W. Union Hills Drive.

Curious to hear how safe the area is (ground floor apartment) and how possibly riding a bike to and from class might work. Not sure if that is recommended or possible. No idea what the streets will be like for riding

I've heard really good things about the university but any further info/discussion would be appreciated and helpful

Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Union Hills is a long road. Most of it near Midwestern is pretty nice and not nearly as busy as a street like Bell Rd

What is the nearest major avenue cross street to their apartment?

I used to live off 75th between bell and union hills when I first moved out and had friends at Midwestern

Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I have a child heading to Midwestern and will be living off of W. Union Hills Drive.

Curious to hear how safe the area is (ground floor apartment) and how possibly riding a bike to and from class might work. Not sure if that is recommended or possible. No idea what the streets will be like for riding

I've heard really good things about the university but any further info/discussion would be appreciated and helpful
Our daughter went to Midwestern so I was around that area at least a 100 times. It's an exceptional program by the way and she loved the school culture, style of teaching and instructors. I can say with certainty that the area of town isn't remotely sketchy. In fact, it's a very nice area. I wouldn't bat an eye at her biking back and forth to school. Other than your normal concern of being diligent just like anywhere. And yes, plenty of people bike or walk to school.

I'm assuming she will be somewhat close by Midwestern. W. Union Hills is not a busy street. But N.59th Ave is. The good news is it has sidewalks. So to reiterate, it is not a problem. PM me if you had any additional questions about the area or school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area