Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
All of Chandler is family-friendly but I recommend searching in the Kyrene district which is mainly the western side of Chandler west of the 101.

The reason I suggest the Kyrene district is it's one of the best around for educational quality.

I used to live near the 101 and Chandler Boulevard and that neighborhood had lots of families with young children who attended the Kyrene schools.
I've said this before, but the Chandler Unified district ranks above Kyrene now. Both are in the city of Chandler, but Kyrene is in the older, closer in part of West Chandler and Chandler Unified is in the newer, slightly more upscale South Chandler as well as the more working class North Chandler and a little bit into Gilbert. Most of the 9/10 and 10/10 rated schools are South of the 202.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 20,019 times
Yeah,

There is no doubt in my mind after being here a couple years now that I would suggest ANYTHING south of the 202 in Chandler or Gilbert is the best place to raise a family in all of greater Phoenix. The schools are A+ rated. There is literally no crime or riff-raff of any kind (there is north of the 202). I have found everyone friendly (although I always read on this forum how rude and unfriendly everyone is...definitely not my experience).

Chandler is a city on the move. There are plans to make HUGE improvements to the downtown area in the next year or so. I can't say enough about how wonderful the schools are ( I have a 9-year old who goes to San Tan Elementary on Chandler Heights Rd (10 rating on greatschools.org) and loves it. When we first got here, we lived in Cooper Commons and she went to Hull Elementary (9 rating on greatschools.org) and loved that one also.

Kyrene is a very good school district also, but South Tempe and North Chandler have some problem areas. There are very nice neighborhoods there, but there are also pockets of methheads, low-income, and general lowlifes also. I do wear a badge and gun, so I do have experience in this area. Stick to south of the 202, I propise you wont be disappointed. Only downside, you are looking at $300,000 for a decent home at least.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox89 View Post
Yeah,

There is no doubt in my mind after being here a couple years now that I would suggest ANYTHING south of the 202 in Chandler or Gilbert is the best place to raise a family in all of greater Phoenix. The schools are A+ rated. There is literally no crime or riff-raff of any kind (there is north of the 202). I have found everyone friendly (although I always read on this forum how rude and unfriendly everyone is...definitely not my experience).

Chandler is a city on the move. There are plans to make HUGE improvements to the downtown area in the next year or so. I can't say enough about how wonderful the schools are ( I have a 9-year old who goes to San Tan Elementary on Chandler Heights Rd (10 rating on greatschools.org) and loves it. When we first got here, we lived in Cooper Commons and she went to Hull Elementary (9 rating on greatschools.org) and loved that one also.

Kyrene is a very good school district also, but South Tempe and North Chandler have some problem areas. There are very nice neighborhoods there, but there are also pockets of methheads, low-income, and general lowlifes also. I do wear a badge and gun, so I do have experience in this area. Stick to south of the 202, I propise you wont be disappointed. Only downside, you are looking at $300,000 for a decent home at least.

Oh, please, more specifics on where the "methheads, low incomes and lowlifes" live in South Tempe, in SFH neighborhoods like the OP is looking for. That said, I agree that most of Chandler (particularly south Chandler around Ocotillo) is a very good place to live with a family. But so is south Tempe.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Oh, please, more specifics on where the "methheads, low incomes and lowlifes" live in South Tempe, in SFH neighborhoods like the OP is looking for. That said, I agree that most of Chandler (particularly south Chandler around Ocotillo) is a very good place to live with a family. But so is south Tempe.
Depends on your definition of South Tempe. Some might consider it anything south of the 60, and yes there are some shady pockets in there. Others, like myself, would define it more as the generally single family home area south of Elliot Road (85284 zip). There really aren't any bad spots in there that are within the City of Tempe.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:12 AM

10 posts, read 20,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I stand by my statement fully. There are MANY apartment complexes south of the 60 that are plagued by meth and dangerous people. No, it's not Maryvale, Sunnyslope, or South Phoenix, but it should not be taken for granted because it is "Tempe." The OP wanted opinions about best neighborhoods, and a good way to do that is to contrast with the worst in the same parts of the metro area. As an LEO that works the area, I see things most people do not and that do not get reported on the news, and I am 100% certain that there are areas that I would not raise my children in around south Tempe/North Chandler. General rule.....the further south, the less crime and better schools. That, I am certain of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area