Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Yeah, many places experienced temps North of 120. I know we've had this conversation many times around here, but I care less about an ambient air box at the airport versus the actual temps that register where my body is
I'm with you.

I know someone that sets their weather app on their phone to the airport, regardless of where they actually are, and insists that is the official temp, period. Well, I set mine to the zip code of my house, where I usually am, or set it to pick up the temp via GPS. If I am 25 miles from the airport, who cares what the temperature is THERE? I want to know what the temperature is of where I am at the moment.

The NWS only cares about PHX, though.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Yeah, many places experienced temps North of 120. I know we've had this conversation many times around here, but I care less about an ambient air box at the airport versus the actual temps that register where my body is
Yeah, I kind of agree, I could careless about the temperature at 4pm when I'm stuck inside at the office anyways. I really just care about the mornings and the evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Exactly, 121 at our house.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Just curious - if our verdict here is that the power grid can't handle it, were you planning to uproot yourself and move to Maine in the next few days?
So far the power grids are handling it just fine and they should with the better technology available these days.

It shouldn't be a repeat of the 1990 heatwave with the brownouts and all.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Minimal flights impacted and daily activities about the same as usual for mid/late June.... Can we move on to other news now?
I agree.

Some people are getting themselves too worked up over canceled flights. Which is worse, a few flights not taking off as scheduled or people stuck inside their homes without air-conditioning?

Priorities please!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Phoenix-area heat wave brings heavy power demand

Kind of interesting how APS & SRP are so good at double talk and hardly anybody blinks an eye. The article from yesterday's Republic indicated that the utility experts were stating they feel confident they can meet the demands of their customers. Just a few paragraphs down, this statement appears:

Obviously something went wrong somewhere to leave over 1,800 customers without power. As I said before, if SRP & APS are incapable of ensuring that the demand is met for all their subscribers, they shouldn't even be in the business. 1,800 customers is still 1,800 too many.
Did the utility company confirm what caused those customers to lose power?

It could have been anything from a bad transformer to a construction crew digging into some lines.

I agree with you though, 1,800 customers with no air-conditioning is 1,800 too many no matter what the cause.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm with you.

I know someone that sets their weather app on their phone to the airport, regardless of where they actually are, and insists that is the official temp, period. Well, I set mine to the zip code of my house, where I usually am, or set it to pick up the temp via GPS. If I am 25 miles from the airport, who cares what the temperature is THERE? I want to know what the temperature is of where I am at the moment.

The NWS only cares about PHX, though.
Only the OFFICIAL airport temperature counts when it comes to keeping track of temps and records or whatnot.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
We lost power here in Tempe on Tuesday which really sucked. SRP said a switch tripped what ever that means, but it took
2 1/2 hours to fix it.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Only the OFFICIAL airport temperature counts when it comes to keeping track of temps and records or whatnot.
Right. But unless I am at the airport, I don't care what the temp is there. I want to know what it is where I am at the current time.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Right. But unless I am at the airport, I don't care what the temp is there. I want to know what it is where I am at the current time.
Then you should get a backyard weather station assuming you are in your backyard all the time. There are significant differences within the cities and even down to neighborhoods, so no published number is going to be accurate for your microclimate.

This business of record highs and such is just entertainment. But we have to have a standard to agree upon and that is the NWS number that comes out. By that standard no new record high was reached. No tee shirts. We can try again next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area