Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times

Advertisements

Oh no, not another topic about the heat.

This isn't any old heatwave, the ten-day forecast reads like it could tie or break some all-time record high temperatures and carry on for at least a week. https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAZ0166:1:US

I've certainly seen plenty of hot summers in the years I've lived here but not 120 degrees.

I remember reading about the 122-degree weather in 1990 when some areas had brownouts and even Sky Harbor canceled some flights due to the excessive heat.

I'm concerned if the utility companies are prepared for the high power demand. It's been 27 years since the 1990 heatwave so I'd think the utility companies would now be better prepared so people won't have any fears of electricity disruptions.

Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
One utility that should be concerned is the City of Mesa's own electric utility that serves the downtown Mesa area. Their infrastructure is aging and hasn't been upgraded in many years. At one point they considered selling it to SRP in order to provide the upgrades.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
It really doesn't seem that unusual to what we've seen over the past decade ..... I'd be shocked if there was any issue

Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
No concerns, we've got plenty of reserve capacity.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:13 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Oh no, not another topic about the heat.

This isn't any old heatwave, the ten-day forecast reads like it could tie or break some all-time record high temperatures and carry on for at least a week. https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAZ0166:1:US

I've certainly seen plenty of hot summers in the years I've lived here but not 120 degrees.

I remember reading about the 122-degree weather in 1990 when some areas had brownouts and even Sky Harbor canceled some flights due to the excessive heat.

I'm concerned if the utility companies are prepared for the high power demand. It's been 27 years since the 1990 heatwave so I'd think the utility companies would now be better prepared so people won't have any fears of electricity disruptions.

Any input?
If Arizona didn't learn anything from 1990, which is doubtful, then there should be cause for concern.

Fear not, JJ.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,144,428 times
And Sky Harbor shut down because it was too hot for planes to land...the tarmac was causing the planes' tires to blow.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:18 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
The airport did not shut down. Some airlines temporarily halted flights because there was no documentation of how the planes would function at temperatures over 120 degrees.

Here's an explanation of what happened: Hottest day in Phoenix

At 1:27 p.m., the temperature in Phoenix reached 121 degrees. June 26 was not the hottest day on record. But at the airport, a more serious issue arose, not at the weather service building, but out on the runways of the busy airport.

Scores of jet airliners were being grounded, heatbound instead of snowbound, as airlines and air traffic officials realized they could not predict how the planes would react in such hot conditions.

Heat thins the air, which affects how much weight a plane can carry and how much runway is needed for takeoffs. The airlines keep charts that help pilots and controllers decide what adjustments may be necessary.

But those charts, for the most part, stopped at 120 degrees.

America West Airlines, then Sky Harbor's largest carrier, postponed its takeoffs, uncertain how the heat would affect its fleet of Boeing 737s and its short-range commuter aircraft. An airline official explained the situation to The Republic:

"The problem is not that the airplane can't fly at this temperature," said Mike Coleman, senior vice president of marketing, "but that no one ever contemplated that they would have to."

Southwest Airlines also halted its takeoffs, until Boeing was able to deliver instructions on how to handle the heat. The delays lasted about two hours.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Hmm...Could have sworn I heard something about the tires at the time as well. No worries...

Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
We had similar heatwaves last year without any issues? I know it got to 118 more than once around this time last year.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 AM

I doubt anything is going to happen. It is just heat but Maricopa County has already issued the ubiquitous heat warning with links to cooling stations:

It's going to be HOT Saturday, June 17th through Wednesday, June 21st.

Staff Maricopa County Emergency Management from Maricopa County Department of Emergency Management · 14h ago

We're not talking just hot, we're talking DANGEROUSLY HOT with highs 115 to 120+ degrees. We cannot stress enough that heat kills.

- Drink more water than you feel is necessary.

- Stay indoors in air conditioning. If your AC is broken go somewhere with AC, don't just wait it out. Fans are not enough. Visit MAG Home Page for an interactive Heat Relief map to find hydration stations and refuge locations.

- Visit Extreme Heat | Maricopa County, AZ... to learn about the signs of heat illness. Pay extra attention to those who are most vulnerable: children, the elderly, pets, and those who have certain medical conditions or are on certain medications.

- Do you know someone who is visiting or new to the Phoenix Metro area? Warn them about heat dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area