Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 PM

63 posts, read 100,286 times

Advertisements

was just wonder which one is less maintenance and easier and less expensive to to maintain.
thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Salt is much easier to maintain and I would highly recommend it. You do have to replace the salt cell once in awhile (my first one lasted 5 years, second about 3 years, and just replaced it again at the 9 year mark) at around $450 each time. That probably burns up any savings you may have from not buying chlorine tabs.

I would say the cost is probably similar but I don't have to worry about my pools chlorine level as that is taken care of automatically. I've never had a green pool in 9 years of having it. My friends however, that have chlorine pools, get a green pool all the time.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
The maintenance is different. If you use a salt cell there is less day-to-day checking required, as the generator creates the chlorine when your filter pump runs. You still need to monitor the chlorine level, though, plus test and correct the pH. You also need to keep the salt concentration in a reasonable range, although this does not need to be checked very often. You need to clean the salt cell plates periodically, and it will need to be replaced after several years.

If you use trichlor tablets you obviously need to keep adding tabs to the floater(s). Same comment about checking and correcting pH, although I've found that trichlor is acidic enough that pH does not require a lot of adjustment. There is chlorine stabilizer (CYA) in the tabs, which builds up over time and you will need to do a complete or partial drain every couple years.

Here in Phoenix my guess is that using trichlor tabs are cheaper, but I doubt the difference is much. Because of the hard water we have, you'll need to do water drains anyway even if you use a salt cell... maybe not as often but it's still needed. You'll use less acid to adjust pH if you use trichlor.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:11 PM

LBTRS, we were just wondering and it sure sounds like salt water pool is much easier to maintain and
thank you for the information and now its easier to make a decision. we appreciate your in put.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM

we know there is still certain amount that has to be maintained but as you describe it, we would much rather follow
your advise. what is the reason for draining the pool every couple years ? thank you.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
You're constantly losing water to evaporation and replenishing with more tap water, which has dissolved minerals in it. Over time the concentration of those minerals builds up.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 PM

hikernut, thanks for you sharing that, makes sense.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 PM

just curious, can a regular chlorine pool be converted to salt water pool ? if it can be done does anyone have any idea if it
would be very costly ? thank you

Old 06-16-2017, 06:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davder View Post
just curious, can a regular chlorine pool be converted to salt water pool ? if it can be done does anyone have any idea if it
Sure it can...you add the chlorine generator and controller and put some salt in the water and you have a salt water pool. I was told it was about $1200 to add it to an existing pool. That was when we purchased our home in 2008 so I don't know how much that has changed in 2017.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 PM

157 posts, read 356,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davder View Post
Yes it can depending on how old the water is. With a tab pool, you start with new water and add around 50-60 ppm of CYA to keep chlorine from burning off due to UV exposure. This builds up over time due to adding additional CYA that is in the chlorine tablets. Once it gets past 100 ppm of CYA, then chlorine starts to lose its effectiveness and you may start seeing algae. Hence the recommendation of draining every 2-3 years. With a salt pool, you start with new water by adding a recommended 80 ppm of CYA and around 3400 ppm of salt. This dies not fluctuate as you don't lose salt or cya to evaporation. If converting to salt from tab, check your CYA levels. If in the 80-90 ppm range, then add appropriate salt to bring level to 3400 and your good to go. If substantially over that, I'd recommend a drain/refill. Salt pools still need to be drained every 5-6 years due to calcium build up that will foul the cell more frequently and also leave a nasty scale line on your tile at the water line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area