Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 PM

175 posts, read 180,395 times

Advertisements

Hi all! So I have been here for a while and have driven all over the damn place. From phoenix to Tucson, to the San Tan Valley, etc, and I have had some interesting thoughts.

Not knowing much about phoenix aside from what I read on here, researched in other areas and from my trip, I was a bit blind. However, moving here has seriously opened up a lot of stuff and ideas for me. I had no idea I would like Tempe, but I found it GORGEOUS! I always find some time to take a drive through there and go and do things. And then there are parts of Mesa I thought was fine and saw it was a bit run down in some areas and then in others, just as beautiful! (and more affordable all together). And of course, Glendale for the awesome Pink concert.. haha so many awesome things.

So I am curious to other lovelies of Arizona. When you moved here, or been here, what places have YOU thought were going to be crap and wanted to avoid it and then realized it was totally worth looking into? What dont you like about the area you moved to?

Ohh, how I love Arizona. <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Mesa is a very large city. Over 2/3 the size of Chicago in land area. That's why I'm always surprised when people paint it with a large brush as not so nice when the only parts they've seen are the west parts around Fiesta Mall or around downtown Mesa (which itself is very nice). Yes, there are some other older and not as nice parts such as along Southern Ave and Country Club, or along a good stretch of Main, but there are many beautiful parts as well such as in the historic Lehi area where there are horse properties and the northeast around Las Sendas and the Usery Pass. Eastmark is a nice, newer DMB community in the southeast part of the city (east of Mesa Gateway Airport) that is well planned and has some very nice amenities.

Other places that many think are crap but that are actually pretty nice once you see for yourself:

Queen Creek - it's not just a little cowtown anymore
Peoria - again, it's a bigger city than most realize and the northern part is quite pretty and is growing like crazy
Surprise - Surprise! It's not bad at all. Despite it's reputation for affordability most of it is newer and pretty nice and well planned. Especially love the Marley Park neighborhood.
Buckeye - another huge city in land area, so it seems to stand that there would be good parts as well as not so nice. Yes, there are plenty of El Cheapo subdivisions around and the original town of Buckeye seems a bit like the land that time forgot, but there is some pretty farm country in there that feels like the midwest but with mountains in the distance. Also, if you haven't ever driven deep into Verrado, well, you should. Some very pretty areas in there and I love the charming Main Street area and Founders Parkway which doesn't even feel like you're in the desert but rather in some quaint storybook setting.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I agree. I was in Mesa off of country club dr and the difference between that and university drive is crazy lol

Ive been to queen creek! I absolutely love the view of the mountains. You are so close to them! I wanted to go fishing in one of those canyons... but its been too hot apparently. The fish will roast. lmao

I gotta visit peoria and Surprise. Ive seen lots of posts about them.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
Yeah, I agree. I was in Mesa off of country club dr and the difference between that and university drive is crazy lol

Ive been to queen creek! I absolutely love the view of the mountains. You are so close to them! I wanted to go fishing in one of those canyons... but its been too hot apparently. The fish will roast. lmao

I think you may have Queen Creek mixed up with Apache Junction...there are no canyons or fishing near Queen Creek. Pretty sure there is no water in the San Tan Mountains...

Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Its possible, but the San Tan Mountain Regional Park has fishing. -shrug-

Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:

What part of Mesa are you referring to? Country Club and University Drive intersect.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Its possible, but the San Tan Mountain Regional Park has fishing. -shrug-
Weird...as there are no lakes or rivers in that park. Closest river is the Gila on the Res just south of there. I know there are a ton of mountain biking and hiking trails down there...I have never heard of any fishing in those mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area