Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
We're having air issues here in ABQ from the AZ wildfires. Not blaming anyone, just pointing out how far the pollution from wildfires can spread.
The challenge of being downwind. They've documented LA pollution within the Grand Canyon NP limits in the past. Be happy you're East of AZ instead of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Public transportation isn't considered "feasible" because it doesn't exist in any meaningful way, and because residents refuse to cut back on their cars. You're absolutely right that Phoenix is spread out, to much so, in my opinion. Still, it seems to me that most people live "feasibly" close to their work. People could walk a little, but don't. People could car-pool, but don't. Most people I know have never even been on a bus. It's very much a matter of mind-set.
It probably will never have a public transit mindset as a city like NY or Chicago does. But it's certainly changing, just look at the growth in LRT ridership. And then look at the number of infill housing popping up along the LRT lines. Phoenix is also in the midst of fast tracking new additions to the starter line now.

http://www.valleymetro.org/publicati...ership_reports

Old 07-08-2017, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
I wish people would stop moving to this state or at least enforce a quota system. This is the desert. None of this should be here in the first place but the fact we managed to build a thriving city in a barren wasteland doesn't mean we can have everyone and the kitchen sink move here. The Phoenix area is bursting at its seams and I don't want us to turn into another craphole that is California.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlfman View Post
I wish people would stop moving to this state or at least enforce a quota system. This is the desert. None of this should be here in the first place but the fact we managed to build a thriving city in a barren wasteland doesn't mean we can have everyone and the kitchen sink move here. The Phoenix area is bursting at its seams and I don't want us to turn into another craphole that is California.
People have lived here for hundreds of years. Barren wasteland is a poor way to describe one of the most diverse landscapes in the world and the wettest desert.

Needn't I remind you that Phoenix is at the confluence of three rivers and that the only reason it looks like it does is because we dammed the rivers to support our population and agriculture.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:22 PM

105 posts, read 129,897 times
It sorta rained yesterday & PM-10 levels are somewhat lower today. Yippee! Ozone still high though.

"I can gather all the news I need on the MCDAQ report."
- P. Simon

Old 07-09-2017, 02:42 PM

105 posts, read 129,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It probably will never have a public transit mindset as a city like NY or Chicago does. But it's certainly changing, just look at the growth in LRT ridership. And then look at the number of infill housing popping up along the LRT lines. Phoenix is also in the midst of fast tracking new additions to the starter line now.

http://www.valleymetro.org/publicati...ership_reports
Thanks for the informative link, locolife! It is encouraging, but I'm also a little discouraged that overall ridership is down (b/c bus ridership is down). I would still like to see commuter rail (fewer stops & higher speeds than light rail) with incentives to increase ridership. And maybe rooftop and/or track-side solar panels. These would very likely reduce our carbon footprint & improve air quality.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Just got yet another air quality alert on my phone, through 9:00 PM Wednesday. It's been a weekly thing for awhile now, and I have been dealing with bronchitis and a cough that will never go away if we don't get a break. I am starting to think it is much worse this year, too. No major fires right now, correct?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just got yet another air quality alert on my phone, through 9:00 PM Wednesday. It's been a weekly thing for awhile now, and I have been dealing with bronchitis and a cough that will never go away if we don't get a break. I am starting to think it is much worse this year, too. No major fires right now, correct?
There were fewer air quality alerts when we had all those thundershowers, this is why I look forward to rainstorms here because they wash away a lot of the pollution.

The air quality seems to be worse when it's hot and dry like it has been this week, probably because of more dust in the air.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There were fewer air quality alerts when we had all those thundershowers, this is why I look forward to rainstorms here because they wash away a lot of the pollution.

The air quality seems to be worse when it's hot and dry like it has been this week, probably because of more dust in the air.
Thunderstorms kick up all that dust, though, so it makes it harder for me to breathe. Never had breathing problems before I moved here in 2014. If thunderstorms around here actually produced any real rain, they might be cleansing, but usually we get 14 drops of DIRT and a whole lotta dust blowing around. Oh and the smell. Must not forget that terrific stench that comes with it!

Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
The dust last night was atrocious. I started wheezing a bit, but couldn't figure why til I peeked outside. Dust everywhere. I didn't even get an alert. And now the humidity is back, too. Yay. So happy!

*feel my sarcasm*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area