Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Too much uncertainty to live on the far outskirts in town, in my opinion. If you were interested in somewhere centrally located, the argument could possibly be made to buy right away, but even then, I think an exploratory 6-12 months in a rental is smart. Sorry for beating a dead horse at this point.
I'd go so far as to say rent for the first 2 years or so! I rented for the first 3, moved to different parts of the valley during that time, and ended up buying in an area I never thought of at first, but really like now.

I would NEVER recommend anyone move here and buy out on the outskirts without living here first. Queen Creek is a nice area, but not at all convenient. You may end up hating life if you have a long commute.

Rule number one is to consider where you will be WORKING before you decide where you will be LIVING. I know, I know, everyone always says "But where I used to live I had a 2 hour each way drive and I was okay with it!" Okay, but WHY do that if you don't have to?

I recently changed jobs and went from a 42 mile round trip drive to a 12 mile round trip drive. It's amazing how much better life is when you cut 150 miles of commuting a week out of your life, not to mention how nice it is to fill the tank about every 2 weeks rather than every 5 or 6 days!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
My daughter and I came out twice before moving. The second visit, we rented an apt. on a short term lease because we had no idea where each of us wanted to live. I started working and realized I wanted to live in a different area. While I still had the apt, I toured homes, areas, and found what I wanted. It was just 6 months. She was gone in 3. I had already sold my IL house and stashed the money in an account here, ready to go. Within the first year, I was in a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 AM

120 posts, read 166,613 times
My question is are you retiring or working? If retiring do what you feel is best. If you are working I STRONGLY suggest renting for at least a 3 month lease somewhere, especially if you are coming and looking for work. The reason is what if your work is in Glendale, for example? You definitely don't want 50 miles of rush hour traffic each way, you'll want to live much closer. You'll also want to make sure your new workplace is going to work out before making a choice long term.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM

148 posts, read 151,661 times
I should have mentioned retired. My wife may want to go find something part time. That's fine by me...wink, wink.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbound621 View Post
I should have mentioned retired. My wife may want to go find something part time. That's fine by me...wink, wink.
That changes things a little as a commute wouldn't be an issue for you. BUT...I would still hesitate at living that far out, but that's just me. You won't have a job to drive to, but depending on your interests, you may find yourself driving more than you like to get to things.

I have mentioned a friend before who moved to San Tan Valley about a year and a half ago which is just past QC. She was super excited to by a really nice, almost new, house for a really great price. She said the drive was FINE! Now she admits she HATES the drive. Yes, she is commuting but she says on weekends they don't do nearly as much as they used to because she doesn't want to drive "into town" as she calls it.

That may not be an issue for you, though.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:57 AM

I admit it is going to be a challenge. We would like to be able to see some mountains. Be close enough to amenities ...costco, good doctors, etc. Nice community, which I think is hit or miss.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I admit it is going to be a challenge. We would like to be able to see some mountains. Be close enough to amenities ...costco, good doctors, etc. Nice community, which I think is hit or miss.
Depending on your budget, there are plenty of places to live with mountain views such as the Camelback/Biltmore area, north Scottsdale, etc

Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Depending on your budget, there are plenty of places to live with mountain views such as the Camelback/Biltmore area, north Scottsdale, etc
NE Mesa, South Phoenix (certain areas), Ahwautukee, Cave Creek, Paradise Valley, N Peoria/Glendale, Verrado, Estrella Mountain Park...lots of "mountains" around...just depends on where you want to go.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:49 PM

Kurt...thanks. I know there is no lack of mountains.
We did go out to Goodyear and checked out Estrella. It was nice but it seemed that the houses were right on top of one another. But we weren't there long enough to get a better sense of it. Basically we are in the 250 to 275K range. All cash, no mortgage

Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Kurt...thanks. I know there is no lack of mountains.
We did go out to Goodyear and checked out Estrella. It was nice but it seemed that the houses were right on top of one another. But we weren't there long enough to get a better sense of it. Basically we are in the 250 to 275K range. All cash, no mortgage
That is WAY out in the outskirts the OTHER direction! You're almost closer to California than Phoenix out there. (okay not really but it's pretty far west)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area