Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 AM

162 posts, read 382,281 times

Advertisements

I don't mind shopping at walmart, but it's definetly a hassle. Walmart ad matches any other store, so you're a fool to shop anywhere else really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 AM

13,162 posts, read 21,711,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypsych26 View Post
products may be owned by US Companies but produced out of the country, meaning most of our money is still going into someone elses pot and not the U.S., not to mention we are supporting cheap labor and less jobs for Americans.
You're contradicting yourself. If we're manufacturing overseas with cheap labor, how is it that "most of our money is going into someone else's pot"? Is not the point of cheap labor to maximize profit by the company, which in this case is a US company? So which is it?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
Noticed the Walmart Superstore by Happy Valley Rd. and 23rd ave. How many of you go food shopping at Walmart? How does it compare to other grocery stores like Fry's, Abertsons, safeway etc.? What is the closests grocery store (other than Walmart) from Happy Valley and I-17.
I think for prepared goods and dry goods, Wal-Mart is fine. I don't like their produce and think the quality is quite awful. The advantage to Wal-Mart is their price. It's cheaper by nearly $1 on most items. I hate shopping there though because it's a zoo during the day. People can be rude at Wal-Mart too as they will cut in front of you with their cart instead of stopping to look if people are coming. The aisles are really crowded. I won't shop at Wal-Marts unless it's later in the evening when the crowds are gone. Fryes definitely has better produce. Of the "normal" grocery stores here, Fryes Marketplace is the best in my opinion. It's clean, contemporary and their produce is great. If you want a really good deal on produce, go to Sprouts. It's a farmer's market and the produce is high quality AND cheap. Their stores are really nice too. However, don't buy dry items at Sprouts because it's expensive; just buy produce there. Fresh Market is a new concept here. It's a nice little store. It's trying to replicate that European corner market but their prices are high. It's fairly expensive but I think the meat at the store is amazing. It has the best tasting chicken breasts in the city and I'm comparing it to the organic chicken breasts at Whole Foods.

Then there are the specialty grocery stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and A.J.'s. I think Whole Foods is a lot of hype but people will always go there. I think A.J.'s butcher is pretty good but the rumor is that A.J. and Bashas use the same meat except A.J.'s charges more for it.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:19 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,231,393 times
Wal Marts Pepto Bismol is always over a dollar cheaper than Fry's.

Go through 2 bottles of that a month.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,985,167 times
LOL, go to "El Supermercado del Wal-Mart!" When I saw this place yesterday I was like...SERIOUSLY! LOL, well I guess there is a Fry's Mercado so it only makes "sense?"

Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 PM

132 posts, read 425,518 times
I love the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Everytime I'm in Phoenix I pick up some odds and ends there. Great prices without the hassle of dealing with most slime that inhabit regular Walmart Supercenters.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 AM

10,015 posts, read 9,445,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
I love the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Everytime I'm in Phoenix I pick up some odds and ends there. Great prices without the hassle of dealing with most slime that inhabit regular Walmart Supercenters.
.... and that's just the employees.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:14 AM

88 posts, read 251,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think for prepared goods and dry goods, Wal-Mart is fine. I don't like their produce and think the quality is quite awful. The advantage to Wal-Mart is their price. It's cheaper by nearly $1 on most items. I hate shopping there though because it's a zoo during the day. People can be rude at Wal-Mart too as they will cut in front of you with their cart instead of stopping to look if people are coming. The aisles are really crowded. I won't shop at Wal-Marts unless it's later in the evening when the crowds are gone. Fryes definitely has better produce. Of the "normal" grocery stores here, Fryes Marketplace is the best in my opinion. It's clean, contemporary and their produce is great. If you want a really good deal on produce, go to Sprouts. It's a farmer's market and the produce is high quality AND cheap. Their stores are really nice too. However, don't buy dry items at Sprouts because it's expensive; just buy produce there. Fresh Market is a new concept here. It's a nice little store. It's trying to replicate that European corner market but their prices are high. It's fairly expensive but I think the meat at the store is amazing. It has the best tasting chicken breasts in the city and I'm comparing it to the organic chicken breasts at Whole Foods.
There's a Fresh Market here? I thought that was just on the east coast?

Anyway, Fresh & Easy is a decent alternative to Wal-Mart. The prices on most stuff is very close to the same, and in several cases I can get the organic, hippie approved can of beans for the same price as the Wal-Mart brand made who knows where. Oreos cost the same too.

Gotta love the 98 cent produce packs, although when there's nothing you want that week it kinda sucks.

You just go in and scan and bag your own groceries and leave. No fuss.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Then there are the specialty grocery stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and A.J.'s. I think Whole Foods is a lot of hype but people will always go there. I think A.J.'s butcher is pretty good but the rumor is that A.J. and Bashas use the same meat except A.J.'s charges more for it.
I have to agree! I go to Wal-Mart for nonperishables and what not. I am not so impressed with the one in Casa Grande, it doesn't have near what I remember Walmart having, but the aisles are wider than most I think. I bought a bag of precut salad, got it home, opened it and in about 2 hours turned brown and slimy... We have a newer Fryes here and I don't think they can be beat for produce or meat

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,231,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
I totally agree. A new one was opened about 2 miles from me recently. My hours are flexible so I can shop whenever I want to and around 1:00 pm on a weekday is excellent because there are very few customers. I like the clean, tidy store. The employees are great and always is good moods. Quite amazing. I like the produce and the dairy products. They are all very fresh. Plus, the prices are lower than any other store I've been in.

I really don't care for Walmart Super Stores because of the crowds. I feel like I am in the roller derby in those stores. I prefer to pay a little bit more to avoid what seems to be the cast of a Cecil B. DeMille Biblical spectacular. Now that the Neighborhood Market has opened I can pay less and leave my skates at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area