Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
.... that mean's the monsoons are not far behind. Just got back from walking the dog and your can hear them for the first time this season.

After the so called heat wave or summer in Phoenix since it's not anything unual. You could see the huge atmospheric clouds building up to the east. All we need is 3 days in a row of 55 degree dew points to offically kick it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
They announced monsoon season a week or two ago and still no monsoons. I'm waiting impatiently. Monsoons are my favorite thing (and probably the only thing) I REALLY love about Arizona. I can't wait until it pours. Even if it's only temporary.
The Monsoon (singular, not plural) is a shift in the prevailing wind current (a semi-stationary high pressure zone over the four corners region) that allows air flow to come from the south and east, rather than the west. That's it ! That's all there is to it.

The thunderstorms that bubble up and bring rain, wind and lightning are a side effect of the Monsoonal air current drawing in moisture, not the "Monsoon" itself. The word "Monsoon" is never plural unless you happen to be referring to our Monsoonal pattern here in the Southwest -- AND -- the one that occurs on the Indian subcontinent, simultaneously.

Sorry, just a huge pet peeve of mine and it seems to happen year-after-year.

Last edited by kttam186290; 07-01-2017 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,599,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The Monsoon (singular, not plural) is a shift in the prevailing wind current (a semi-stationary high pressure zone over the four corners region) that allows air flow to come from the south and east, rather than the west. That's it ! That's all there is to it.

The thunderstorms that bubble up and bring rain, wind and lightning are a side effect of the Monsoonal air current drawing in moisture, not the "Monsoon" itself. The word "Monsoon" is never plural unless you happen to be referring to our Monsoonal pattern here in the Southwest -- AND -- the one that occurs on the Indian subcontinent, simultaneously.

Gee, so glad they didn't say "haboob".

Old 07-02-2017, 08:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

I'm with you. Also annoying when it's raining and someone says "it's a real monsoon out there"

Old 07-02-2017, 11:00 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm with you. Also annoying when it's raining and someone says "it's a real monsoon out there"
That's a newbie thing. The proper term is "gully washer".

Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's a newbie thing. The proper term is "gully washer".
I hear it more from people that don't live here. It's raining hard in New Jersey or something and they say "it's a real monsoon out there"

Gullt washer sounds like a back woods of the deep South thing. I prefer the term "rain" or more accurately "raining dirt" during monsoon season

Old 07-02-2017, 01:07 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I hear it more from people that don't live here. It's raining hard in New Jersey or something and they say "it's a real monsoon out there"

Gullt washer sounds like a back woods of the deep South thing. I prefer the term "rain" or more accurately "raining dirt" during monsoon season
Actually, gully washer's been in the back deserts of deep Arizona for a long time.

And cloudburst. Downpour. Duck drowner.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Great Grandmother on my mom's side was from rural Nebraska and she had a saying whenever it would rain really hard:

"Looks like a cow peeing on a flat rock!"

Old 07-03-2017, 06:44 AM

83 posts, read 73,244 times
I don't think how a person refers to the summer weather is really that important nor do I think it dictates whether someone is new or not. I've been here 7 years now and I still use phrases that are apparently "incorrect". BBC has used the phrase "monsoons" and plenty of other people do too. It's not that serious lol. It's just an s, and according to Google it's a correct plural form of the word monsoon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regardless, maybe we'll get lucky enough for even a mere storm to come soon with all this high temp weather. I'd love if it could happen within a day or two so I could have a night without loud fireworks scaring the crap out of my dog. Especially at 10-11 pm at night.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
I don't think how a person refers to the summer weather is really that important nor do I think it dictates whether someone is new or not. I've been here 7 years now and I still use phrases that are apparently "incorrect". BBC has used the phrase "monsoons" and plenty of other people do too. It's not that serious lol. It's just an s, and according to Google it's a correct plural form of the word monsoon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regardless, maybe we'll get lucky enough for even a mere storm to come soon with all this high temp weather. I'd love if it could happen within a day or two so I could have a night without loud fireworks scaring the crap out of my dog. Especially at 10-11 pm at night.
Who knew the BBC was sorely lacking in vocabulary?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-03-2017 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-03-2017, 05:53 PM

770 posts, read 836,543 times
Just likes clockwork the dewpoint is at 55 throughout the day and there are huge atmospheric clouds to the south and the east. Plus the monsoons love to kick off around the 4th of July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area