Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Are you sure it's not toads? I'm listening to them screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech out by my pool now. They laid eggs in it last week and I had a dead adult in the skimmer last weekend.

Toads honk, almost like geese. They were so loud in the alfalfa field behind where my sister used to live in Peoria that you could hardly think outside. The cicadas (I've always referred to them as locusts) just buzz really loud. I've rarely seen the live bug, but I remember seeing their shed skins perched on the trunks of the grapefruit trees in our yard when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 03:23 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,244,306 times
I heard them for about 2 nights sometime last month, but haven't heard them since. They don't seem to be as thick a they were in the Midwest where you'd hear them for a few weeks. It's an end of summer thing there, more like mid-late August.

Upthread someone said they thought they were only out every so many years. Well, that is true of some cicadas. Some are the 17 year variety and when those guys come out, you know it. Others you will hear every year. Also, one cicada makes a LOT of noise, enough to make you think there are hundreds out there. I found this out one year when I heard what I thought was swarm in my yard then walked under a tree where ONE happened to be. When I approached, he stopped chirping. All "hundred" of them stopped at once

I find the sound to be somewhat soothing, though depressing when it signaled the end of summer where I used to live.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 PM

769 posts, read 828,863 times
Default Cicadas Have Arrived...

.... that mean's the monsoons are not far behind. Just got back from walking the dog and your can hear them for the first time this season.

After the so called heat wave or summer in Phoenix since it's not anything unual. You could see the huge atmospheric clouds building up to the east. All we need is 3 days in a row of 55 degree dew points to offically kick it off.

Last edited by TempeAZnative; 06-28-2017 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 12:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,493,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
.... that mean's the monsoons are not far behind. Just got back from walking the dog and your can hear them for the first time this season.

After the so called heat wave or summer in Phoenix since it's not anything unual. You could see the huge atmospheric clouds building up to the east. All we need is 3 days in a row of 55 degree dew points to offically kick it off.
That's not likely to happen until next weekend at the earliest based on the latest NWS Forecast and Discussion. The next 7 days are going to be dominated by dry westerlies thanks to a trough in the PNW

Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 AM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's not likely to happen until next weekend at the earliest based on the latest NWS Forecast and Discussion. The next 7 days are going to be dominated by dry westerlies thanks to a trough in the PNW
It feels more like April (with heat) than the beginning of monsoon. Maybe we will have another nonsoon-monsoon.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,584,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It feels more like April (with heat) than the beginning of monsoon. Maybe we will have another nonsoon-monsoon.
Last year, the "non-soon" didn't officially kickstart until sometime in July, I believe. The cicadas were already all around and buzzin up a storm (no pun intended).

Old 06-29-2017, 08:24 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,244,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I hope so!

I haven't heard any cicadas yet. Last year and the year before on this date the storms had already begun.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,928,076 times
I heard them while hiking last month up in the McDowells.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,584,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I heard them while hiking last month up in the McDowells.
Hey, Cats... it's possible that may be tinnitis and not cicadas.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,928,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Hey, Cats... it's possible that may be tinnitis and not cicadas.
Nope. Even saw a few. One flew and landed in a small shrub right by me. This was waaaaay up top of the McDowells, up near the start of the East End Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area