U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM

3,632 posts, read 10,870,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I love the fences! I remember the first time I visited my husbands home town in Georgia, none of the homes in subdivsions had fences! They were just open. I couldn't understand that...what if you have a dog and just want to let them out? What about privacy?

I really enjoy the block fences. Not having them seems so strange to me.
I don't get it either. If there were no fences I would feel so naked and exposed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 AM

10,203 posts, read 13,333,260 times
I love having a block wall in the back yard. I know even in California many of the older sub divisions had wood fences. Always seemed to be a major improvement when you put in a block wall fence. So much more upscale then the wood. I just can't imagine not having a solid built block wall fence.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM

641 posts, read 1,483,362 times
Also, scorpions. You are more prone to get them with a wood fence. And they will fall apart quicker. I too would feel naked without a fence. Not to mention, if I did not have one, Im sure my neighbors would just LOVE my pets roaming through their yard.

Ama

Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,981,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria sullivan View Post
Why do homes in Phoenix have concrete fences? I am from NY and we don't have many fences.
pools are one thing, as well as other reasons already mentioned. In a lot of the east and midwest, vegetation acts as a fence and can totally block the neighbors. Desert vegetation isn't like that. Some of the cement block walls are tacky, but there are some nice decorative block and concrete 'fences' that look very attractive.

I lived in several northern cities and suburbs. I had a fence in every urban property (smaller lots) and out in the suburbs where properties were several acres, never had one. Do you have any idea how much it costs for a wood fence around a 3 acre property? Not cheap. Most of the big lots were totally blocked from view by huge trees, lower bushes, and other thick vegetation. It was so effective that nobody could see anything, summer or winter. In the desert one can't do that, plus most lots are small so the neighbors are practically in your living room.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM

5,037 posts, read 3,552,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria sullivan View Post
Why do homes in Phoenix have concrete fences? I am from NY and we don't have many fences.
I am originally from NY and had a stockade (wood) fence in the back and a chain link fence surrounding the front. I think the block fences out here are much better for privacy than stockade, the maintenance is less, and IMO it looks much neater and cleaner too.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 AM

599 posts, read 1,542,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I love the fences! I remember the first time I visited my husbands home town in Georgia, none of the homes in subdivsions had fences! They were just open. I couldn't understand that...what if you have a dog and just want to let them out? What about privacy?

I really enjoy the block fences. Not having them seems so strange to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Absolutely! Losing the walls and the privacy is one of the negatives that one has to consider when moving from Phoenix (and other western cities) to the east.
Interesting viewpoints because I feel just the opposite. I guess it is based upon what we've mostly lived with and our preferences. This is the first state we've lived in with block walls, and I'm still trying to get used to it. The fences here make me feel "blocked in" (pun intended). This is why I'm glad we also have a view fence along the back here so that our backyard feels more open. I miss the large yards without fences and using lush green plants for privacy in other states. Regarding pets, people either train them not to leave their yards or have invisible fence systems to keep their pets from leaving.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 PM

264 posts, read 715,819 times
The coolest thing i've seen down there when I visited is that Gecko's love getting some sun on the brick walls. Cool little critters those gecko's

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM

383 posts, read 1,032,994 times
Has anyone recently had a concrete fence installed? If so, can you please share the cost per foot?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 PM

919 posts, read 2,111,123 times
Wood can't take the elements here - sun, rain, wind followed by more sun.

Most of the concrete walls here are made of cinderblock, which I think is ugly in both color and texture. I had my blah gray block walls imparted with bold colors. What was once blah now makes every visitor say wow.

It's akin to visiting a resort... the pool looks better, the plants "pop." Here's an example:

Old 03-15-2008, 06:26 AM

2,101 posts, read 1,943,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Wood can't take the elements here - sun, rain, wind followed by more sun.

Most of the concrete walls here are made of cinderblock, which I think is ugly in both color and texture. I had my blah gray block walls imparted with bold colors. What was once blah now makes every visitor say wow.

It's akin to visiting a resort... the pool looks better, the plants "pop." Here's an example:

Gorgeous!!! I love that color...would you mind sharing the name of the color/brand? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area