Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm in my second summer in Kuwait which gets significantly hotter than Phoenix in the summer for example, we hit 126F actual temp the other day and we hit 140F combining heat and humidity whereupon my sliding glass door shattered from the temperature variance between the outside and my ac in the apartment. Here, like many have posted, no one does much outside in the summer during the day. Rather these people are summer nocturnal or they go to the mall and get their walks in there.

Like Phoenix, the winters are nice and I would say I prefer it to where I live in the PNW (climate wise only)over the course of the year, it's just that you have to drink tons of water and cope with it best you can in the summer.

I also spent a winter in Moscow, RF and 2 winters in Mongolia where the temps regularly hit -40 in the the winter and I prefer a warmer climate between the two.

I think people just get fatigued with the extreme summer or winter temps respectively depending on where you live. Cali pretty much gets it perfect as does where I lived in Peru.
Wow, 140 real feel must be absolutely insane. It really does make our measly 102 degree high today seem like child's play. Is there anywhere within driving distance for respite? My experience in the Middle East says no but I never lived there. I do not take for granted the fact that we can drive to much cooler weather within 2 or so hours here.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I do not take for granted the fact that we can drive to much cooler weather within 2 or so hours here.
Dependin' how fast the ol' horse gallops...

Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Wow, 140 real feel must be absolutely insane. It really does make our measly 102 degree high today seem like child's play. Is there anywhere within driving distance for respite? My experience in the Middle East says no but I never lived there. I do not take for granted the fact that we can drive to much cooler weather within 2 or so hours here.
Sanaa, Yemen, which is at 7,000ft elevation. Pretty much San Diego weather

Old 07-28-2017, 12:31 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Nowhere to go but in ac buildings and malls....the natives like to fly to London to get out of the heat in the summer. That day it hit 140, I went outside for a minute and was stunned and immediately went back inside and checked the weather channel....it was too hot to go to the pool.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:20 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
My opinion is if you don't mind spending July-September inside your home 90% of the day you will like it here. Most of the folks who post here that love the heat are 60 plus retired from the midwest never spend more than 5 min a day outside between those months which I could understand they spent years mowing grass in humid summers, and fighting winter snow. They move here buy a home with low maintenance yards gravel and cactus stay inside most summers.

Generally the dry heat up until the last few weeks of June is tolerable, and September the dry heat returns. I usually limit my outdoor activity during the afternoons here between July 1 to September 15th with the exception of days where monsoon rain cools it down. I do most of my outdoor activity at night or early morning.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My opinion is if you don't mind spending July-September inside your home 90% of the day you will like it here. Most of the folks who post here that love the heat are 60 plus retired from the midwest never spend more than 5 min a day outside between those months which I could understand they spent years mowing grass in humid summers, and fighting winter snow. They move here buy a home with low maintenance yards gravel and cactus stay inside most summers.

Generally the dry heat up until the last few weeks of June is tolerable, and September the dry heat returns. I usually limit my outdoor activity during the afternoons here between July 1 to September 15th with the exception of days where monsoon rain cools it down. I do most of my outdoor activity at night or early morning.
Not sure why you keep posting this but it's far from the truth! Maybe all the people you know hibernate all summer but I know many who are outside and a good part of the day whether it be their jobs or they just plain like the heat.

My neighbors comes home every day from work and puts her umbrella up (no pool) and sits outside,this is usually around 2:30 in the afternoon. One of my friends is always outside doing stuff around his house all day long. He actually loves the summer heat and waits until September/October to go back east to visit family. I'm in customers homes a lot and bring this subject up often and most have no problems with the heat and they're not just sitting inside with the ac blasting all day long. I've been outside every day this week working,one day was a little humid (I think it was Wednesday) but other than that it's not all that bad. If you start your day outside it's not as bad as when you're going in n out of ac all day. Sure I prefer the dryer weather but I'm not going to lock myself inside all summer and hate life because of the heat.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Not sure why you keep posting this but it's far from the truth! Maybe all the people you know hibernate all summer but I know many who are outside and a good part of the day whether it be their jobs or they just plain like the heat.

My neighbors comes home every day from work and puts her umbrella up (no pool) and sits outside,this is usually around 2:30 in the afternoon. One of my friends is always outside doing stuff around his house all day long. He actually loves the summer heat and waits until September/October to go back east to visit family. I'm in customers homes a lot and bring this subject up often and most have no problems with the heat and they're not just sitting inside with the ac blasting all day long. I've been outside every day this week working,one day was a little humid (I think it was Wednesday) but other than that it's not all that bad. If you start your day outside it's not as bad as when you're going in n out of ac all day. Sure I prefer the dryer weather but I'm not going to lock myself inside all summer and hate life because of the heat.
All I can say is that in the subdivision I live in and the one across the road totaling about 2500+ homes during the summer the streets are empty,the subdivision parks are empty and there is none of the usual activity in people's yards front or back (you can hear kids in back yards during other times of the year). Now there are some people out before 9am and some after 8pm but nothing like all other times of the year.

The majority of people are hibernating in the house (as the ones I've talked to told me) or probably at the mall or at some other indoor place.

Even the YMCA pool doesn't get all that busy until dusk.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post

I'm in my 30s, and not from anywhere near the Midwest, I cycle or hike 4-5 days year round here. I do so with quite a diverse group of others, none are even close to 60 years old. I do see a few people on the trails that are probably 60+ but very rarely. You've got a very warped view for some reason, maybe you should go hit the trails once in a while.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
All I can say is that in the subdivision I live in and the one across the road totaling about 2500+ homes during the summer the streets are empty,the subdivision parks are empty and there is none of the usual activity in people's yards front or back (you can hear kids in back yards during other times of the year). Now there are some people out before 9am and some after 8pm but nothing like all other times of the year.

The majority of people are hibernating in the house (as the ones I've talked to told me) or probably at the mall or at some other indoor place.

Even the YMCA pool doesn't get all that busy until dusk.
Of course not, nobody is saying summer is prime time, it's clearly hot the time of day to be outside is before 9am or after 6pm. The idea that you can't be outside at all is silly.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Of course not, nobody is saying summer is prime time, it's clearly hot the time of day to be outside is before 9am or after 6pm. The idea that you can't be outside at all is silly.
You're right, "at all" is a bit broad. Maybe adjust it to "people are outside from 9pm-7am?" I've got to say this 70% humidity as reported today SUCKS big time!
I thought I left "hotlanta" behind years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area