Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

There's an empty storefront where a Sports Chalet used to be on Cooper/202 next to a Wal Mart Superstore. I'm guessing they'll look there to locate since it's a smaller footprint and they seem to want to compete with the WalMart Superstore crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I'll definitely check out Aldi, but I'm pretty sure we will stick with Walmart (except for meat). "Our" Fry's is nice with the covered parking, but it's as much as 20% more than Walmart for the exact same items. Safeway down the street is even worse with its scam sales and they don't have self checkout which simply wastes my time with small purchases.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I've already explained myself earlier in the thread, I'm willing to pay more for higher quality and better service and I appreciate a selection of gourmet and unique items. I have no interest in getting a bunch of low quality off brands, subpar produce or low quality meats. I work hard enough and would rather not bag my own groceries or pay a deposit for a shopping cart in addition to consuming the low quality groceries to save a few bucks. It's for the paycheck to paycheck crowd. If it indirectly lowers our Fry's and Sprouts purchases then I'm fine with it but it's not somewhere I'd shop.
So why does it have to be "garbage" just because you like to waste money on gourmet stuff and don't want to "work" any harder to bag your own groceries?

My wife and I are upper middle class and definitely not the "paycheck to paycheck crowd" but still welcome competition and lower cost options. Groceries are fuel, I don't need to spend extravagant amounts of money on them.

You've never been in one but know they have low quality off brands, subpar produce and low quality meats? I've never been in one but excited to check it out.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-16-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'll definitely check out Aldi, but I'm pretty sure we will stick with Walmart (except for meat). "Our" Fry's is nice with the covered parking, but it's as much as 20% more than Walmart for the exact same items. Safeway down the street is even worse with its scam sales and they don't have self checkout which simply wastes my time with small purchases.
I could never figure out why people shop at Safeway...always was very expensive when we've been there for a couple items. Couldn't imagine doing all our shopping there.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
I've already explained myself earlier in the thread, I'm willing to pay more for higher quality and better service and I appreciate a selection of gourmet and unique items. I have no interest in getting a bunch of low quality off brands, subpar produce or low quality meats. I work hard enough and would rather not bag my own groceries or pay a deposit for a shopping cart in addition to consuming the low quality groceries to save a few bucks. It's for the paycheck to paycheck crowd. If it indirectly lowers our Fry's and Sprouts purchases then I'm fine with it but it's not somewhere I'd shop.
The thing with Aldi is that you’re not getting “low quality off brands”.. Much like Costco, the private labels are generally pretty good stuff. Some things they have are really amazing- they have cookies that are so close to girl-scout cookies I couldn’t tell the difference & their version is like $0.85. Some of the meats are quite good - they have pork that’s never-frozen & the baby-back ribs at $2.79/lb are amazing. As for bagging, I’d rather bag my own or grab a few boxes while i’m shopping (just like Costco) & not end up with my food falling right through the bag as has happened at multiple “full service” stores.

The cart deposit means there aren’t six million carts rolling around the lot denting your car while you’re inside. If you’re feeling rich, you can leave your cart & drive away & somebody will grab it before you even get your seatbelt on. You save enough on the things you don’t get zinged on to not even worry about the quarter.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:08 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Aldi is awesome. I used to shop there often when I was in central Illinois before moving to AZ 7 years ago. Great quality products, especially the meat, produce, and many packaged goods. They have some hard to find German brands you can't find most other places (maybe Trader Joe's sometimes). They are relatively smaller stores like Trader Joe's so you can get in and get out pretty fast. I just hope they open one somewhere near me eventually.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So why does it have to be "garbage" just because you like to waste money on gourmet stuff and don't want to "work" any harder to bag your own groceries?

My wife and I are upper middle class and definitely not the "paycheck to paycheck crowd" but still welcome competition and lower cost options. Groceries are fuel, I don't need to spend extravagant amounts of money on them.

You've never been in one but know they have low quality off brands, subpar produce and low quality meats? I've never been in one but excited to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The thing with Aldi is that you’re not getting “low quality off brands”.. Much like Costco, the private labels are generally pretty good stuff. Some things they have are really amazing- they have cookies that are so close to girl-scout cookies I couldn’t tell the difference & their version is like $0.85. Some of the meats are quite good - they have pork that’s never-frozen & the baby-back ribs at $2.79/lb are amazing. As for bagging, I’d rather bag my own or grab a few boxes while i’m shopping (just like Costco) & not end up with my food falling right through the bag as has happened at multiple “full service” stores.

The cart deposit means there aren’t six million carts rolling around the lot denting your car while you’re inside. If you’re feeling rich, you can leave your cart & drive away & somebody will grab it before you even get your seatbelt on. You save enough on the things you don’t get zinged on to not even worry about the quarter.

I don't understand the passion you guys have for this store that someone else can't have their own opinion on not wanting low quality goods and reduced service. FWIW the Kroger brand cookies taste just like girl scout cookies too, Aldi is not unique. How they are unique is that they force the store brand on you by reduced selection.

I don't "waste money" on gourmet items. I like to eat well, I run a business and work hard I don't want to go to the store and put in sweat equity. My wife and I like only USDA Prime Steaks (I can taste the difference immediately), fresh seafood, sushi, occasionally some of the better prepared foods these stores offer. I simply offered my opinion that this store is not for me and I'm not excited and I HOPE they don't put a place like Bashas out of business, which is our local grocer. I have a feeling they may want to outright takeover Bashas because they offer smaller footprint stores as well, but not sure if they are the same size.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I don't understand the passion you guys have for this store that someone else can't have their own opinion on not wanting low quality goods and reduced service. FWIW the Kroger brand cookies taste just like girl scout cookies too, Aldi is not unique. How they are unique is that they force the store brand on you by reduced selection.

I don't "waste money" on gourmet items. I like to eat well, I run a business and work hard I don't want to go to the store and put in sweat equity. My wife and I like only USDA Prime Steaks (I can taste the difference immediately), fresh seafood, sushi, occasionally some of the better prepared foods these stores offer. I simply offered my opinion that this store is not for me and I'm not excited and I HOPE they don't put a place like Bashas out of business, which is our local grocer. I have a feeling they may want to outright takeover Bashas because they offer smaller footprint stores as well, but not sure if they are the same size.
I'm not passionate about the store because I've never been in one. I won't be calling it garbage or fantastic until I have been in one and check it out for myself. I recommend you do the same.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 AM

673 posts, read 466,070 times
It's interesting reading some of these comments. Were you all aware the Trader Joes is owned by the Germans?
Why am I not seeing more support shopping and comments about Sprouts? Headquartered right in your own County.
By the way, Spouts is my go to store for quality and customer service.
It reads like some of you need to learn to eat better, not cheaper.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
It's interesting reading some of these comments. Were you all aware the Trader Joes is owned by the Germans?
Why am I not seeing more support shopping and comments about Sprouts? Headquartered right in your own County.
By the way, Spouts is my go to store for quality and customer service.
It reads like some of you need to learn to eat better, not cheaper.
Yep, Sprouts and Fry's are our go to stores. When my wife wants to cook a nice dinner she likes to get the produce, meat, seafood etc from Sprouts and I appreciate the quality. I was worried when there were rumors Albertsons would buy Sprouts.

Fry's is where she goes for staple items and we also like that they have prime steaks and a good wine selection (as well as wine tastings and craft beer growlers). They have a decent wing and Asian food station as well for a quick lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area