Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:22 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,611,557 times

Advertisements

Well, if you get to select between those cities for your job, you have the power to avoid an hour long commute. You will get more for your money in the West Valley than the East Valley because there is less of a premium attached to homes on the west side, possibly with the exception of a few of the larger master planned communities (Estrella Mountain Ranch, Verrado, and Vistancia). There are very good libraries scattered throughout the Valley. I've been to great libraries on all sides of the area. Public schools are likely stronger on the east side than the west side, however, there are some great districts on the west side that definitely compete with anything in Chandler or Gilbert. Check out Basis Schools, which has a location in Goodyear and is rated one of the best schools in the state.

There are the same big box stores all over. The east side definitely has a higher density of stores and strip malls, but the west side has multiple locations of all the chains you mentioned.

Each little subdivision tends to have green space. However, if you're looking for more traditional parks, I would give the advantage to the City of Phoenix and the east side.

There is very little dislike of east siders from those on the west side. It's those on the east side who tend to harbor nasty stereotypes about the west side based on a few of the lower income neighborhoods on the west side. The west side has a much higher Hispanic population than the east, and unfortunately a fair share of people here associate that with crime and bad schools. Luckily, that stereotype keeps a lot of the nutjobs on the east side.

The west side is mixed income, from dirt poor trailer parks to million dollar homes in the larger master planned communities. The west side is noticeably less crowded than the east side and tends to be the red headed stepchild for locating new restaurants and sought after chains. However, the west side is the fastest growing part of the Valley and is a nicer option if you're looking for a more laid back area.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:28 PM

525 posts, read 533,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Well, if you get to select between those cities for your job, you have the power to avoid an hour long commute. You will get more for your money in the West Valley than the East Valley because there is less of a premium attached to homes on the west side, possibly with the exception of a few of the larger master planned communities (Estrella Mountain Ranch, Verrado, and Vistancia). There are very good libraries scattered throughout the Valley. I've been to great libraries on all sides of the area. Public schools are likely stronger on the east side than the west side, however, there are some great districts on the west side that definitely compete with anything in Chandler or Gilbert. Check out Basis Schools, which has a location in Goodyear and is rated one of the best schools in the state.

There are the same big box stores all over. The east side definitely has a higher density of stores and strip malls, but the west side has multiple locations of all the chains you mentioned.

Each little subdivision tends to have green space. However, if you're looking for more traditional parks, I would give the advantage to the City of Phoenix and the east side.

There is very little dislike of east siders from those on the west side. It's those on the east side who tend to harbor nasty stereotypes about the west side based on a few of the lower income neighborhoods on the west side. The west side has a much higher Hispanic population than the east, and unfortunately a fair share of people here associate that with crime and bad schools. Luckily, that stereotype keeps a lot of the nutjobs on the east side.

The west side is mixed income, from dirt poor trailer parks to million dollar homes in the larger master planned communities. The west side is noticeably less crowded than the east side and tends to be the red headed stepchild for locating new restaurants and sought after chains. However, the west side is the fastest growing part of the Valley and is a nicer option if you're looking for a more laid back area.
Ever watch LIVE PD? Every single one of those arrests is on the West side. �� With that said, my in-laws live in a beautiful house on the West side and love it out there. So to each his own, but I certainly wouldn't call those who would rather live in the East Valley "nutjobs." A little antagonistic don't ya think?

Plus you stated this opinion just 2 years ago on this very topic:
"East side for me. The area east of the 17 carries Maricopa County. Most business, most people, and most attractions in the Phoenix area are east of the 17. The west side of Phoenix is a huge slum. The area from 19th Avenue all the way until at least 83rd Avenue between Van Buren and Bethany Home is off limits. That is a huge chunk of the city. Add in Tolleson, parts of Laveen, parts of Avondale and Goodyear, parts of Buckeye, El Mirage, and all of the meth communities between Surprise and Wickenburg and it's easy to see why the east comes out on top. Aside from parts of AJ, Mesa, Guadalupe, and Chandler, the east side just feels safer. EV also lucked out in that it was largely developed before the recession. The west side is full of vacant lands for development plans that never materialized and still sit empty despite this supposed "growth.""

That's quite the turnaround.

Last edited by belgirl; 07-31-2017 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM

197 posts, read 269,694 times
Most of the evening news that talks about murders or other serious crimes starts off with "Live from XXXnd/th Avenue and ...."

😬😂

Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM

346 posts, read 544,805 times
We chose the west valley due to the lower prices for newer homes. (Energy efficiency was important to us thanks to the high cost of electricity in this area and is one reason we purchased a new build home with radiant roof barrier, low E windows, 2 x 6 construction with extra insulation and a low HERS score.)

We narrowed our search down to master planned communities (like Estrella, Verrado and Marley Park) due to the resident age diversity and amenities (we like having access to pools someone else takes care of!) and decided on Marley Park in Surprise due to the great location. (Verrado was a close runner up.) There are two A+ rated elementary schools in the community and a few nice high schools (plus a new charter STEM charter high school opening this year) and all the shopping, dining and medical you could ask for within a 5-10 minute drive. We love Surprise. It has the beautiful Northwest Regional Library, the Surprise stadium, a Tennis & Raquet complex, an Aquatic Center, and lots of city parks (and Marley Park has 18 parks of its own so our dog is happy, too). The commute to Glendale, Avondale and Peoria would be well under an hour from Surprise.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,156,320 times
We made the choice 9 years ago and the east side was way too congested and busy for our liking. We picked Goodyear and are very happy with our choice. Even to this day we don't go to the east valley very often just because everything is such a zoo. Every time we go to the east valley my wife yells..."thank god we don't live over here".

Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

If I had that choice it would be a no-brainer...I would work in Avondale and live in Goodyear. As it is now, I work in Peoria and live in Goodyear.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM

44,541 posts, read 61,208,520 times
West side is the fastest growing segment of the valley, one day will connect with Wickenburg. It's less congested, has all the conveniences as any other area. Good home values too.
North Peoria is a very nice area and growing fast. Close to Lake Pleasant, great shopping areas, open spaces.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,208,811 times
I would recommend Queen Creek in the East Valley. It's extremely nice and close to Gilbert and Chandler. It definitely feels more upscale than Goodyear, Tolleson and Peoria in my opinion. It's very nice! Queen Creek is one of those cities that is very upscale feeling but not highly populated because most are unaware of it's existence and it's location. But it's one of those cities that will boom in the next 10 years. I can easily see it growing by another 100K in the next decade. It's not near any bad areas.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,757,843 times
It depends what you want and like. West valley seems more down to earth. East valley is more your suburban, cookie cutter side.

I think east valley traffic is worse in general. If you live in Tempe and you need to go 5 miles to work it could take you 20 minutes due to all the congestion from ASU.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 PM

38,946 posts, read 50,859,936 times
Here is a link to some data on west valley cities with an emphasis on Goodyear. Goodyear is the wealthiest city in the west valley.

What is the wealthiest city in the West Valley?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Most of the evening news that talks about murders or other serious crimes starts off with "Live from XXXnd/th Avenue and ...."

😬😂
You need to remove one of the "X's". The majority of police activities happen below the 50's and between Northern and the I-10. I've always said "nothing good happens after dark below the 50's".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area