Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,215,968 times

Advertisements

I just used the comparison tool and each of the 4 new plans is a huge increase in cost over what I am currently paying.

Between the increased cost of goods and services in the area due to Prop 206 and these electrical rates I've taken a BIG decrease in my purchasing power over the last year.

What use to cost us $130-$150 at Fry's for our grocery shopping is now over $200. Add the increase in electrical rates, eating out, etc. we're not doing as well as we once were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 03:09 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
My bill does not look like it will change all that much with fall coming on. With the rate increase on peak on combined advantage, it looks cheaper to go with R3 sooner rather than later. But it's hard to figure it out as the impact of the off peak 12-3 versus the on peak of 7-8 is difficult to predict. Some of my current on peak would definitely move to off peak under the new rate and I can keep things off peak from 7 to 8. IDK how demand would be affected. On the demand plans, the demand charge is the biggest worry by far and the demand rate went up a lot. I will probably buy a window ac for the room we spend the 3-8 time in and let the rest of the place just get hot. Already have one in the BR.

Depending on ability to adjust this is a very significant rate increase. Among the worst APS has done and the media completely missed it with the average $6 per month narrative.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
Is this going to make my SRP (Water and Electric) home more valuable for resale? SRP has increases from time to time that don't even have to be rubber stamped by the ACC. I'm too old to build and move into a styrofoam house at this point. It seems to me that SRP took a tough approach to solar power before APS did.
Probably not, most people when buying homes pay attention to location/house quality above all else. Nobody generally cares about who their utility providers are.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,241 times
I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should switch to the standard flat rate plan or keep the time of use plan with our solar, which covers 75% of our home usage. With the old rates I was thinking the standard plan would be cheaper, as we were left with lots of on peak credits at the end of the year and they pay out only a fraction of what those are worth. If I make the switch to standard plan now though, we lose the ability to do what we want from 12-7 and use all the on peak power we want, which includes our AC and pool use.

I'm more confused now than ever!

Old 08-19-2017, 04:59 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I guess the only people who made out was anyone who bought solar prior to the rate change they are grandfathered in for 20 years. The solar industry settled with APS they got what they wanted everyone complains about the rates but most people will just pay it.
Its not too late to get grandfathered solar - the deadline is August 31st.

It's practically selling itself now, all people have to do is log into their APS account and see how much more they will spend with APS if they don't go solar.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:27 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should switch to the standard flat rate plan or keep the time of use plan with our solar, which covers 75% of our home usage. With the old rates I was thinking the standard plan would be cheaper, as we were left with lots of on peak credits at the end of the year and they pay out only a fraction of what those are worth. If I make the switch to standard plan now though, we lose the ability to do what we want from 12-7 and use all the on peak power we want, which includes our AC and pool use.

I'm more confused now than ever!
I can probably help you figure that out if you want to send me your APS login via private message.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:15 PM

13,226 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Its not too late to get grandfathered solar - the deadline is August 31st.

It's practically selling itself now, all people have to do is log into their APS account and see how much more they will spend with APS if they don't go solar.
We plan on moving out of state up north looking at Colorado I don't mind the mountain snow.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I can probably help you figure that out if you want to send me your APS login via private message.
Any way I can email you some APS bills and have you figure it out instead of the log in information? I know it used to be close, but with them shortening the on peak window I am not sure anymore.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,074 times
Not in AZ, but curious about these rates. My last bill was $242 for 1659 sq ft...kids at home for summer & AC on 24/7. Any comparisons for what that would be with APS, before & after new rates?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:16 PM

8,040 posts, read 12,252,641 times
I'm with SRP, and my electric bills have actually been reduced in the summer months because I'm away from my house quite often this time of year. Summer is my "get out of the heat vacation season". Normally I keep my thermostat around 78 degrees when I'm home ... however, when I go on vacation, I set my thermostat up in the mid 80s, turn off most lights, and of course I don't use any appliances like the stove, washer, and dryer. This is the way to save on electricity costs: get out of Phoenix as much as possible during the hell season. What you spend on travel expenses can be made up by reductions in your household utility bills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area