Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I wouldn't want to live near Grand Avenue (the 60) until you get as far out as Surprise. Grand Avenue tends to run in higher-crime areas for the most part... ESPECIALLY in Glendale and Peoria. I just moved from Glendale but I lived about three miles north of Grand. That would be ok looking at north of. South of... that's Maryvale. Don't look there, until west of the 101.

I haven't looked at real estate postings enough to determine which offers the best deal, but as someone born and raised in Northwest Valley in Peoria, Surprise, and Glendale, I think Southwest Valley offers the best potential right now.

I'm not sure if Southwest Valley has any good malls. Arrowhead Mall in Glendale is very nice however. For the rest of your shopping and entertainment needs I think both can fulfill what you are looking for. Westgate is good and is close by.

West Valley in general offers poor infrastructure for commuters. Generally for West Valley you commute on either the I-17 or the I-10 at some point after using one of the loops. Those freeways are a disaster. There is talks by ADOT to put in a reliever freeway running parallel to the I-10, south of it, that will make commuting for West Valley residents much more pleasant. I do believe whatever ADOT will due to relieve traffic in West Valley will naturally favor Southwest valley versus Northwest valley, strictly due to costs (as most people live in Northwest Valley and thus ADOT would have more homes and other structures to bulldoze in eminent domain). This is something to consider as it may provide a better return on investment when eventually the house is sold.
The I10 reliever is years away if ever, but there is an improvement that is not known by many outside of the west valley: The Northern Parkway. This project will eventually (2019) connect the 303 to the 101 and then to Grand Avenue. The stretch from the 303 to Dysart is finished and they are working on the section that goes almost to the 101 (111 Ave, I think). It's going to be a big help for people in Surprise that need to go east but not south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The I10 reliever is years away if ever, but there is an improvement that is not known by many outside of the west valley: The Northern Parkway. This project will eventually (2019) connect the 303 to the 101 and then to Grand Avenue. The stretch from the 303 to Dysart is finished and they are working on the section that goes almost to the 101 (111 Ave, I think). It's going to be a big help for people in Surprise that need to go east but not south.
I'm enjoying Northern Parkway now that is doesn't get much use. I use it to get back and forth to work from Goodyear to Peoria. Not looking forward to when it is a busy connector to the 101.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:46 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm enjoying Northern Parkway now that is doesn't get much use. I use it to get back and forth to work from Goodyear to Peoria. Not looking forward to when it is a busy connector to the 101.
Having F-35s and 16s zooming over your head adds to the adventure too.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Surprise has some of the highest taxes in the state.
The far NW Peoria area toward Lake Pleasant is a great area with all the amenities most people would want. Very quiet scenic and serene area.
Yes most new developments will have HOA's, that seems to be a requirement these days.
Avondale and Goodyear are nice areas too, both have al of OP's requirements.
Unless you live real close to Luke (5 miles) you won't be bothered by the jets. They only fly certain hours off and on, not every minute of the day, and not on weekends as a general rule.
OP needs to come visit for a few days with someone showing you around, then make a decision.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:28 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Surprise has some of the highest taxes in the state. .
Which taxes?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Surprise has some of the highest taxes in the state.
The far NW Peoria area toward Lake Pleasant is a great area with all the amenities most people would want. Very quiet scenic and serene area.
Yes most new developments will have HOA's, that seems to be a requirement these days.
Avondale and Goodyear are nice areas too, both have al of OP's requirements.
Unless you live real close to Luke (5 miles) you won't be bothered by the jets. They only fly certain hours off and on, not every minute of the day, and not on weekends as a general rule.
OP needs to come visit for a few days with someone showing you around, then make a decision.
When I lived in NW Peoria I was under the flight path for the jets. Maybe they changed it from how it was in the 90s but I used to live near 100th Avenue and Lake Pleasant I'd hear them often. Very nice area though, I agree. I still drive through there every now and again.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Northern won't be a big deal for a while. People are still moving out to West Valley in droves so when it's finished it'll be bigger.

SW Valley still had more open land and business/industry which is why I still believe SW Valley will be favored for infrastructure in the long run. The 303, the newest addition for NW Valley, still does not reliever the insane traffic of the I-10 or I-17. To relieve traffic up there it will either take development of Grand. Northern and Grand is pretty far out of the way for many people in West Valley who come from north of the 101 or maybe say north of Thunderbird. Maybe if the Northern expressway would go to the I-17 I might feel a little differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area