Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:08 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

In most cases the party that causes the damage is responsible. In this case it would be the HOA.
Document what you're telling us and present it to the HOA board. They should pay for the re-adjusting of the sprinklers and the paint job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Good grief, Innvaderr!

Time to grow up and move on . . . plant a couple of bushes and redirect / re-aim the sprinklers.

Problem solved.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good grief, Innvaderr!

Time to grow up and move on . . . plant a couple of bushes and redirect / re-aim the sprinklers.

Problem solved.
Most likely will get him another violation for the planting. HOAs once into a situation will notice and react.

He needs to settle the matter. And that will probably not include taking action on his own.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Touch up the window paint and send the HOA a photo showing the issue has been taken care off.

At the same time ask if you can add a couple of extra bushes. Show them the photo with the one bush.

I can't see them objecting if you will be planting the same type of bush.

Recently I received an HOA notice about painting the exterior of a home. The guild lines for the color scheme are strict. I will be meeting with the paint contractor this week to make sure the colors are acceptable. The paint for the body, garage, trim, front door all need to be approved by the HOA.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:22 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
That moisture at the foundation isn't good for the house, I'd send them that picture and demand they fix the water problem. If painting the exterior is your responsibility, check your CC&Rs that isn't normal when they take care of landscaping, then know that it doesn't last forever so just repaint. About $100 a gallon depending on brand of paint, you can get it for much less, and a $10 brush problem solved. As for the sprinklers, get a small slotted screwdriver and adjust them so they don't spray the house (all adjustments are in the top and you can manually turn on the sprinklers if you know where the controls are or wait for them to come on) or if you see the landscapers then ask them to adjust it.

Man that yard looks like crap for a mid summer professionally maintained lawn. Your HOA is getting screwed by their landscaper.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 AM

125 posts, read 81,373 times
If it is their sprinkler system, they need to fix it so it doesn't hit the house. You stated it is theirs and they are responsible for it

The HOA people shouldn't be whining about what their faulty sprinkler system did to the paint.

Ask them to fix the sprinkler. Then after they do, tear a piece off of your house and take it to a professional paint store like Kelly More or Sherwin Williams to match the paint (unless you already have a can). Looks like you only need a quart. Touch up that area.

Mold is an issue. It also causes damage to the stucko If it were me, and they had problems with this reasonable request, I'd start feeling ill due to the mold. Then I bet they change their tune

Last edited by TruckeeWannabee; 08-21-2017 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 01:37 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innvaderr View Post
Hi all,

Question for those of you who many know or can point me in the right direction. I have a property in Phoenix where the HOA recently gave me a violation for paint on the home and the treatment around a window. I've had this property almost four years now and it's slowly getting worse.

The HOA manages everything in the front of the house (irrigation, trimming bushes, cutting grass, etc.) and shortly after purchasing, I requested they plant bushes in front of the house since all the other houses had several nice green bushes/plants and every time the irrigation comes on, it just shoots at the house. After about a year (late 2014/early 2015) they eventually planted one bush.

I'm not an expert by any means and not even sure if it's possible, but it seems to me that the sprinkalers constantly hitting the house is what's causing this problem to get worse. If so, would the HOA be responsible for this or myself as the home owner. I do not want to fix it if they aren't going to fix the issue that's causing it.

Also, is it even fixable or would I have to repaint the whole house?

Thanks!

Attached are an image from the MLS 2013 listing, an image I took in 2014 to show the HOA I had no plants and the current state of the damage. You can see how it is getting worse over time.
1) Notify community manager by email and complain that HOA sprinklers at hitting your house and causing damage.
2) If the manager doesn't respond properly (getting the landscaper to correct the issue immediately) take the issue to the executive session of the next board meeting where you outline that you were written up for damage caused by the HOA sprinklers and before you waste money repairing anything you need community manager to immediately instruct the landscapers to fix the problem.
3) Ask for an extension of 1-3 months (or whatever, my board instructed our manager to give 6 months automatically upon request for whole house painting) to ensure problem is solved and area dries out.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:49 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Most likely will get him another violation for the planting. HOAs once into a situation will notice and react.

He needs to settle the matter. And that will probably not include taking action on his own.
If they don't "have it in the budget" to cover the installation of a bush, the hoa isn't in any position to pick a fight over a resident repairing their junk for free.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
That moisture at the foundation isn't good for the house, I'd send them that picture and demand they fix the water problem.

Exactly! Irrigation systems shouldn't spray water directly on the house, period! It can cause lots of problems.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I say touch up the paint, fix the sprinklers and buy a bush. Send the bills to the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: