Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Please don't come here if you can't afford it and require section 8 housing. Myself as well as others do not wish for you to bring your financial problems and expect other people to take care of you with our hard earned tax dollars.
Are you always this rude?

OTOH, OP, it does give you an idea of what *some* people in AZ will think of you. Fortunately, not all of them will think this.

Also, OP, do some research before you settle on your bankruptcy attorney. The prices are all over the board in PHX. Surprisingly, though, they're also much cheaper than where I currently live. If you plan to file in AZ, you'll have to wait until you've been a resident 91 days - you have to live in the state of filing for the "majority" of the six month lookback period, which is where the 91 days comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 10:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Sovetski, sorry to hear you're not enjoying living in Phoenix. Yes the summers are long and unrelenting here, but your tender feelings for returning to a four season climate don't tempt me much. When I see TV shows that are filmed outdoors in northern cities during the winter, the gloom and lack of color of the landscape there just depresses me. Phoenix is always green and sunny.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovetsky Medved View Post
Are you SURE Arizona is for you?
I moved here 13 years ago and I seriously miss my home state, the change of seasons, The friendlier people.
The slower relaxed vibe. Everyone here seems in such a rush, The Heat can be Unbearable at times.
5 months out of the year you will not want to do anything outside, At least back east I could put my winter coat on and go for a walk, You do that here and your dripping and soaked in Sweat, very unpleasant.
The rents here are going up, expect to pay at least $800 a month for a decent place. Jobs don't pay all that well unless your lucky to land a higher paying job, That's the only reason I stay here in this Hot as hell desert city, My Jobs to good to give up and start over again at my age. So I tough it out and just tell myself, this is life now, and stay inside during the summer the most I can. Seriously, think this over before making this move, you might regret it. There's probably better places to relocate too.
$800 is pretty cheap compare to most cities and the hottest weather is about 4 months, the rest of the year is pretty tolerable with comfortable evenings and mornings even if the peak temp reaches 90-95, not a big deal at all. Summer is hot, as it is in most places. You'll sweat being outdoors in many major cities during the summer from the northeast, the Midwest and the mountain west. Very few, if any, cities have perfect weather year round, and could you imagine the crowds and congestion we'd have if it weren't for summer? Think LA!

So I take it in stride, whining does no good and there's no place that's perfect all the time. There's plenty to do year round here be it movies, the mall, pool parties, museums, baseball games, movies at water parks weekend trips up north, boats/jet skis/other water sports and so on.

Staying indoors for 5 months is a personal decision that's completely easy to avoid.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:42 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in trouble View Post
Gm everyone,

First I would like to thank everyone for the kind words and support it has ment alot to me.
As of right now I have a reservation for motel6 in Tempe for Wednesday the 28th. However I have made such a mess (rather probably destroyed is more likely)of my life I don't think I can recover. Just some of the thing I'm up against horrible credit, facing a pending eviction, resigned from the job that caused this mess (they have hired a replacement for me) I do believe my apt will sign off on porting my section 8 rent subsidy,filing for bankruptcy my family wants nothing to do with me. Traveling with limited funds. I'm taking my dog with me (the only thing that loves me) a co worker has reached out to someone out in Arizona for me to get in touch with and he seems very nice. But I'm usually shy meeting new people.

I have thought about doing the unthinkable but am probably to much of a COWARD to go ahead with it.
I really thought this move would be a second chance for me (and maybe it still can) but I just don't know?
Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this. Life gives you only so many chances in life so take advantage of them and don't screw up like I did
You're leaving New York, which is an amazing city, and from what I understand it takes quite a bit of effort and determination to make it work there on account of the cost of living, competition, speed of life and everything that comes with it. It does seem like you've given up on what life can afford and don't want to work too hard to achieve, well, anything, so I think you'll find yourself in great company in Phoenix, as you'll find an abundant amount of like-minded people here.

That being said, though you're coming from a very expensive area, you need to face reality that cost of living is lower here, but salaries/wages in Phoenix aren't really anything to envy, and if you haven't actually done a job search here you may be in for a shock at available jobs and what they pay. While I'd much prefer to leave, due to cost of living increases against pay I may need a new job or at least a third job (yes, third... one I work is almost a guaranteed exit from this state hence why I work it, but at least a couple years away). When I search for jobs relevant to my career goals in Phoenix, it takes next to no time to get through a week's worth of postings. That's me, and what you do may be a different animal, but in contrast, when I search for similar jobs in LA or DC I have to spread my search over two days because of so many postings, and other cities I've looked in (such as Atlanta and Philadelphia) the search can take a few hours at minimum.

If you're having second thoughts, I think you ought to consider them. There was a great episode of 30 Rock that played on leaving New York too (in that case, to Cleveland), in that sometimes getting away temporarily (as you're planning on doing coming here for what seems to be just a day) may give you an inaccurate picture of reality because it just feels nice to be away from day-to-day life. It just seems now that you're misguided by financial difficulty and are falling for the Phoenix snake oil (as the American West has "promised" for over a century) of vast riches, open spaces and all that nonsense.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:56 AM

64 posts, read 49,795 times
Gm,
At this point I am emotionally drained, and I am not positive on what I'm going to do. Although I believe I am coming on Wednesday. I have resigned from my job. If I stay and pay my back rent I have absolutely no money and no job. My last job I had was a contractor position. That paid well, but receiving payments were very slow sometimes 6 weeks before getting paid. This job was literally across the street from where I live.
My certifications in A+ Network + security + have expired in April of this year because I couldn't afford to renew them. My biggest fear is coming down running out of funds, or not finding an apartment because of my current situation. I don't want to be a burden on anyone. I have a very steady work history and don't bounce from job to job. I'm basically a good person who has made horrible choices in life. And now I'm paying for it. I have only myself to blame. I picked Arizona because I was there when I was a kid and was amazed at how friendly everyone was something that stuck with me all my life. Also some of my coworkers are from Arizona who moved to NYC and are so nice and friendly and are looking to move back home. Again I want to thank everyone for there kind words. It is greatly appreciated

Old 08-27-2017, 09:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
You're leaving New York, which is an amazing city, and from what I understand it takes quite a bit of effort and determination to make it work there on account of the cost of living, competition, speed of life and everything that comes with it. It does seem like you've given up on what life can afford and don't want to work too hard to achieve, well, anything, so I think you'll find yourself in great company in Phoenix, as you'll find an abundant amount of like-minded people here.

That being said, though you're coming from a very expensive area, you need to face reality that cost of living is lower here, but salaries/wages in Phoenix aren't really anything to envy, and if you haven't actually done a job search here you may be in for a shock at available jobs and what they pay. While I'd much prefer to leave, due to cost of living increases against pay I may need a new job or at least a third job (yes, third... one I work is almost a guaranteed exit from this state hence why I work it, but at least a couple years away). When I search for jobs relevant to my career goals in Phoenix, it takes next to no time to get through a week's worth of postings. That's me, and what you do may be a different animal, but in contrast, when I search for similar jobs in LA or DC I have to spread my search over two days because of so many postings, and other cities I've looked in (such as Atlanta and Philadelphia) the search can take a few hours at minimum.

If you're having second thoughts, I think you ought to consider them. There was a great episode of 30 Rock that played on leaving New York too (in that case, to Cleveland), in that sometimes getting away temporarily (as you're planning on doing coming here for what seems to be just a day) may give you an inaccurate picture of reality because it just feels nice to be away from day-to-day life. It just seems now that you're misguided by financial difficulty and are falling for the Phoenix snake oil (as the American West has "promised" for over a century) of vast riches, open spaces and all that nonsense.
Good, sound advice. While Phoenix is cheaper than NY it still is not CHEAP when you factor in other expenses. Rents are rising rapidly, but the low pay rates (compared to cities of comparable size) are not.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in trouble View Post
Gm,
At this point I am emotionally drained, and I am not positive on what I'm going to do. Although I believe I am coming on Wednesday. I have resigned from my job. If I stay and pay my back rent I have absolutely no money and no job. My last job I had was a contractor position. That paid well, but receiving payments were very slow sometimes 6 weeks before getting paid. This job was literally across the street from where I live.
My certifications in A+ Network + security + have expired in April of this year because I couldn't afford to renew them. My biggest fear is coming down running out of funds, or not finding an apartment because of my current situation. I don't want to be a burden on anyone. I have a very steady work history and don't bounce from job to job. I'm basically a good person who has made horrible choices in life. And now I'm paying for it. I have only myself to blame. I picked Arizona because I was there when I was a kid and was amazed at how friendly everyone was something that stuck with me all my life. Also some of my coworkers are from Arizona who moved to NYC and are so nice and friendly and are looking to move back home. Again I want to thank everyone for there kind words. It is greatly appreciated
Well it seems like your plan is already in motion. I think you will find work out here, but it may not be in your field right away since your certifications are expired. Good luck and let us know when you arrive.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:28 AM

550 posts, read 1,487,421 times
If you come to Arizona and continue to make horrible choices, you're not going to do any better than you did in New York. I guess that's obvious but I don't see why you need to move across the country to stop making horrible choices. If you're moving to escape the cold, expense, or horrible attitudes of New York then moving to Arizona is a good choice. If you're moving to escape the problems you've made through your own actions and behavior, those problems are just going to follow you unless you decide you're going to do better this time around.

At this point with no job and no place to live, I don't see a down side to moving. Worst case scenario you'd just be a disaster someplace else. Frankly it seems like quitting your job and giving notice at your apartment without a clear idea of what you're going to do next was another horrible choice. So it seems like you're not done making horrible choices, and in that case it's unlikely that moving is going to fix anything. But like I said, there's no real downside to it either. Maybe it'll be the swift kick in the pants that you need.

The upside is that you seem to realize that things need to change. In that you are correct, but what really needs to change isn't your location, it's yourself. Perhaps you can use the move to break old habits and build new ones in their place. I imagine that's what you were trying to get at in the first place with the idea of moving to Arizona. I think it can be done, but it's not going to be automatic; it will take a lot of conscious effort on your part to not just relapse back into old bad habits. Changing your scenery is easy. Changing yourself is not.

I beleive everyone can start over. No matter how bad things have gotten, you can decide today is the day when you're going to start turning things around. And don't get discouraged if things don't go perfectly the first time around. Changing yourself is a tough task and it will probably take a few tries and failures before you get it down pat.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Sovetski, sorry to hear you're not enjoying living in Phoenix. Yes the summers are long and unrelenting here, but your tender feelings for returning to a four season climate don't tempt me much. When I see TV shows that are filmed outdoors in northern cities during the winter, the gloom and lack of color of the landscape there just depresses me. Phoenix is always green and sunny.
Well certainly there are advantages to living in cities with four seasons, I move back to South Dakota from Northern California in November 2015. So I have spent two winters here now although I will admit I've been gone traveling for a month or so during each of those winters to a warmer climate. I'm going to spend three months in Arizona this winter and I'm seriously thinking that if those go well that I will move as I am single and it's easier for me to do that.

In South Dakota, for example, and I'm talking southeastern South Dakota so the weather is even more favorable than in North or South Dakota, we usually get some snow in October. It might only be a few inches but it turns cold in October. Been in November are you basically have cold weather and it seems like around Thanksgiving you get a dumping of snow. Then December January and February are cold and you get snow and it's just no fun to drive in that at all. March it starts to warm up but I mean I'm talking like you know highs in the 30s and still snow in fact March usually get a lot of snow because it starts to warm up.
April it's still chilly and may it starts to warm up but it's by no means a summer temperature.

So according to my definition of colder weather I would say from the middle of October until the middle of April I think it's OK to call that cold winter or winter or whatever you want to call it.

So one else to contrast that with I guess temperatures that are average height above 100 in Arizona and figure out which is best for you or everything else being equal.

Apologize if I'm off topic here but just trying to provide some perspective.

If one doesn't mind colder weather usually from October through March or April, and that type of climate will work for you.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:36 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I suggest if OP is concerned with motivation to get his life together, he remember his beloved dog and how that dog depends on him for everything. They are so loyal and he must really take care of himself and his best bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area