Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:22 PM

83 posts, read 80,920 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to the general Phoenix area next June and are in the beginning process of figuring out exactly where.

One of the determining factors for us is the fact that we own a high-spirited Vizsla (a Hungarian pointer) who happens to be somewhat barky. He spends a fair amount of time happily roaming around our large (1/2 acre) fenced yard which backs up to woods, and he barks when he hears critters. Sometimes, but not as often, he barks when little kids nearby get shrieky. He's pretty good at stopping the barking when we call him, but if he actually SEES a critter, he can be hard to redirect.

I'd be lying if I didn't say we were a little concerned about moving into a subdivision or community that would punish us if our dog barked too much. So short of reading every single CCR from every single community, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this kind of issue, and if so, do you have any advice? Are some communities more dog-friendly than others, and if so, can you recommend which ones? Similarly, do any of you know of communities with somewhat larger lot sizes? (I remember from science class that sound "decreases as the square of the distance," so further away=good.)

One thing I will say is that we would generally prefer not to be living out in the desert with no other houses nearby. While I know that is a solution, I am hoping that there's a happier middle ground. :-)

Thanks,
Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
In my experience the HOA I live in refer any complaints about barking dogs to the City of Phoenix. So basically, even you end up not in a HOA you can be subject to barking dog laws. Here's a link with more information.

https://www.phoenix.gov/law/prosecutor/barking-dogs

Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Agreed, ours will tell you to go speak with your neighbor with the barking dog and then refer you to the city. That being said...most people won't bother you with a dog that barks once in a while. It is the ones that are left outside, barking constantly and/or at night that get the PD called on them. I think you are worrying unnecessarily...unless you are under-stating how much your dog barks.

For larger lots you will need to look into places that are older than 1996 (typically) or that advertised as having larger lot sizes. These neighborhoods typically have an "Estates" in the name. Most neighborhoods built during the boom up until now are built on postage stamps.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:27 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
As stated, you are more likely to get in trouble with city police than an HOA over a barking dog. Occasional barking is just part of the background noise in a subdivision, but you ought to know if/when your dog is a nuisance and not have to be told that by an HOA or the cops. You won't have critters in the woods, but you will have landscapers and pool guys going to all your neighbors houses along with UPS and FedEx. My dogs hate them all and let them know it. But I stop them after a few woofs.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:32 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
It's your neighbors you'll have to contend with. Not the HOA. Here's a timely link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ee985e715994

BTW, I really hope you don't plan on leaving your dog outside all day. Get a doggie door, hire a pet sitter to help out, or consider taking your dog to doggie daycare a few times a week. Lots of exercise and socialization will help keep your pup happy and quiet.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:31 PM

550 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
It's your neighbors you'll have to contend with. Not the HOA. Here's a timely link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ee985e715994

BTW, I really hope you don't plan on leaving your dog outside all day. Get a doggie door, hire a pet sitter to help out, or consider taking your dog to doggie daycare a few times a week. Lots of exercise and socialization will help keep your pup happy and quiet.
This is not the only reason not to let a dog outside the all time. In the summer it is way too hot for our dogs to be outside.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:49 PM

83 posts, read 80,920 times
Oh heck no. We would never leave our dog outside alone for more than just to pee. He is a family member! We are always with him whether indoors or out. But Vizslas have an incredibly strong will, and when ours sees a critter, we usually have to physically go get him to redirect his attention. He doesn't often get so deep in the hunt that he won't respond to us, but it does happen from time to time.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:33 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Unfortunately, Bdeclee . . .

Common Sense plus a little Empathy should prevail when it comes to pets living in a city environment.

Personally, I love dogs but I definitely would not care for a "pain in the butt" barking dog living next door to me and I doubt there are many individuals who would. The mere fact you are addressing his barking habits clearly implies you are aware it can be offensive.

Keep in mind, there are NO BAD DOGS . . . but plenty of BAD DOG OWNERS. Regardless of your dogs "strong will" as you put it, he can and should be trained not to disturb the neighbors.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
This is not the only reason not to let a dog outside the all time. In the summer it is way too hot for our dogs to be outside.
Yes, that's what I was trying to convey.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM

194 posts, read 291,723 times
Are you planning on living IN Phoenix? I ask because there are quite a few newer communities in the suburbs where you can get a larger lot with room for your dog to investigate. Sometimes these have your typical wood fence (see through) which might prove difficult if he barks at everything he sees. But there are many that have your typical concrete bLock fence/wall. I have 2 dogs that like to bark so I am glad they can't see everything due to the concrete wall. I don't think occasional barking is a nuisance, so if you really are with your dog every time you let him out to pee then I don't know why this would be a problem? It's the dogs that bark for extended periods of time that really are the issue (IMHO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area