Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the real estate thread, but thought maybe I should post this on the Phoenix thread also.
I'm renting a condo for the first time in Phoenix metro (Scottsdale) this winter, but being retired and single am also considering moving to the Valley possibly sooner rather than later. Thank you AZJoe for your helpful response I already received from you.

If I were to buy a condo how would I go about finding out if it was soundproof enough. The thing I dread is getting one and then have the neighbors complain about my TV or vice versa, etc. Off the top of my head I'd probably be looking in the 150k to 200k range most likely or maybe somewhat higher. I know some of the high rises are steel floors or whatever, but what about smaller units. Also, if any of you know the names of any specific condo communities that are quiet (concrete doors or whatever makes them that way) I'd appreciate it. I think initially I'd be looking at the Scottsdale area..not too far north, but I'm also open depending on what I discover this winter, etc.

If this isn't possible (finding one) , I suppose I could look for a small stand alone "house." I'm really only interested in a one bedroom or possibly a two. I haven't decided yet. I just want no or minimal maintenance on whatever I get. I'm still not sure if I'd buy in an Active Adult Community right away or not.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Burkmere; 09-04-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Hmmmmmm, Burkmere . . . interesting request.

My first thought would be to lean more towards a Townhome or a Patio Home. Definitely not 100% but would greatly reduce the number of "common" neighbors.

My Patio Home with only one common wall plus the added convenience of a full Two-Car Garage affords much more privacy while still offering many of the "home" conveniences without the work.

Good Luck.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Hmmmmmm, Burkmere . . . interesting request.

My first thought would be to lean more towards a Townhome or a Patio Home. Definitely not 100% but would greatly reduce the number of "common" neighbors.

My Patio Home with only one common wall plus the added convenience of a full Two-Car Garage affords much more privacy while still offering many of the "home" conveniences without the work.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the info. Is the definition of a "patio" home, one that one common wall? I'm not familiar with what they are. And are they only located in the Active Adult retirement communities? Thanks,.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
My dear Dad was a home builder in his day. I recall him building a duplex and he installed a full block wall between the two units (the common wall.) I can see why this would be very effective for sound deadening. There are probably many other effective building techniques they use these days.

It's good you're thinking this potential problem through before diving in. A noisy neighbor can be a nightmare.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:59 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
My dear Dad was a home builder in his day. I recall him building a duplex and he installed a full block wall between the two units (the common wall.) I can see why this would be very effective for sound deadening. There are probably many other effective building techniques they use these days.

It's good you're thinking this potential problem through before diving in. A noisy neighbor can be a nightmare.
The block wall is likely a fire wall, not merely for sound deadening. I agree with others that said look at townhouses instead, that way no one is above or below you. There are "townhouse" style condominiums too. Preferably find an end unit that is "semi-detached", only one shared wall.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

Yep. Well, I'm trying to educate myself in advance and also become familiar with the communities that would have quieter units, etc. I'm also a bit skeptical (as some others have pointed out) that the RE agents would really know how quiet units are, what they are made of, etc. so trying to educate myself.

I just did some research on "patio homes" and I guess the verbiage is used sometimes interchangeably but generally I could see an advantage of a patio home over a condo or townhouse as it seems maybe at most only one shared wall, etc. Sometimes none I guess.

My goal is to find a nice community with minimal chance of noise being an issue or potential issue. I also have no interest in maintenance of a yard or of the residence (or very very minimal). I suppose some smaller houses would fit this bill, too, and I'll have to get a feel for wether I want to do a retirement community right away or not. An area close to a lot of amenities without being in an Active Adult community still has appeal to me.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:18 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the definition of a "patio" home, one that one common wall? I'm not familiar with what they are. And are they only located in the Active Adult retirement communities? Thanks,.
A Patio Home is usually a Condo type ownership but that is not a requirement. Think of a Patio Home as a home MINUS yard work / responsibility. Something I was definitely searching for.

Mine has one common wall (solid cement block) which offers more privacy plus windows on the exposed side. However, some units in my small development have a common wall on both sides but still no one above or below which I feel is as important as side neighbors, if not more so.

Once again, Good Luck.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post

Patio homes don't necessarily have any common walls. They are not all condo style ownership, either. And they can be anywhere, as they are popular with people with no kids that are not retired. They tend to have minimal to practically no front yard, back yards vary in size but are often small, too.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Patio homes don't necessarily have any common walls. They are not all condo style ownership, either. And they can be anywhere, as they are popular with people with no kids that are not retired. They tend to have minimal to practically no front yard, back yards vary in size but are often small, too.
Good to know. Hmm...that might be what I need to look for.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:15 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
The duplexes in the Sun Cities have a common cement filled common block wall. Noise is at a minimum, usually nothing can be heard from either side. Duplexes are HOA operated and maintenance is taken care of by the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area