Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
If the majority of people here are transplants then that would make the majority of those speed demons transplants. Now get out of the left lane grandpa because I'm coming through at 90!
I hate to give you credit for making a good point, but you sort of have one there, re: the transplants..
I've come to the conclusion that the heat makes people nuts once they get behind the wheel..

The grandpa comment hurts though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 04:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
Reads like a male with manhood issues so he needs some compensation by either a big bad raised truck or a fast sports car.

Sorry if things are bad with your life that you need to take your aggression out in traffic but I'm driving the speed limit or slightly over. I'm not moving out of your way just because you can't obey the speed limit and behave like a gentleman.

If you want to risk getting a speeding ticket or your sorry a$s hauled off to jail for criminal speeding that's up to you.
You really have to be speeding and doing it recklessly to get pulled over on the freeways here. You can easily do about 10 MPH over and a cop won't ticket you. And yes, 10 MPH over on the freeways here are plenty safe with good weather and all. The limit of 65 MPH is just so insanely slow it really should be changed.

Just today we were coming back from IKEA (God save my soul) on I-10 and I was doing 78 in the far left lane and going with the flow of traffic in that lane and the one next to it. Highway patrol rolled up doing about 85 behind me, made no signal, switched lanes and just kept driving.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:21 PM

394 posts, read 343,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Give it a few years and you'll start driving the same way.

It's pretty tame here compared to Southern California.
Too much traffic most of the time to drive fast there... But generally speaking, I've found people here "move with a purpose" - and I like it.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:40 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You really have to be speeding and doing it recklessly to get pulled over on the freeways here. You can easily do about 10 MPH over and a cop won't ticket you. And yes, 10 MPH over on the freeways here are plenty safe with good weather and all. The limit of 65 MPH is just so insanely slow it really should be changed.

Just today we were coming back from IKEA (God save my soul) on I-10 and I was doing 78 in the far left lane and going with the flow of traffic in that lane and the one next to it. Highway patrol rolled up doing about 85 behind me, made no signal, switched lanes and just kept driving.
This is the absolute truth! I was driving on the 51 one night after the traffic thinned out, and was easily doing 70 in a 55 MPH zone when some idiot driving at least 90 or 100 MPH whizzed right by me and was cutting people off left & right. Shortly thereafter, a DPS cop sped right by me and went after him. Most cops won't pull you over for doing 10 or 15 over if you're not reckless or aggressive, and appear to be sober. They mostly target the intoxicated and the extreme speeders like the one I described above. I really wish the cops would pull over & cite the slowpokes in the left lane who impede the traffic flow & refuse to move over.

Last edited by Valley Native; 09-10-2017 at 12:58 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
The old timers who have since passed told me years ago that at night Phoenix would cool down to the 70 's in the summer , hard to believe is it not ? Back then the city had huge Orange orchards outside the city . It was always hot in the summer but not as hot as Yuma or Lake Havasu. I would like to have been there in the 40's -50's when it was a small city. The heat to me is unbearable I cant live there without a pool and constant running air cond . so another thread indeed about the incredible heat . I give you all credit for being able to take it.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:13 AM

394 posts, read 343,108 times
^^^ no need to "give credit"... All the great things about Phx (and there are many) are reward enough - for most of us that realize how good it is here (especially compared to where many of us came from).

Heat is a non-issue to me

BTW, every place is different than it was in the 40's and 50's... Many places far worse.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:38 PM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
The old timers who have since passed told me years ago that at night Phoenix would cool down to the 70 's in the summer , hard to believe is it not ? Back then the city had huge Orange orchards outside the city . It was always hot in the summer but not as hot as Yuma or Lake Havasu. I would like to have been there in the 40's -50's when it was a small city. The heat to me is unbearable I cant live there without a pool and constant running air cond . so another thread indeed about the incredible heat . I give you all credit for being able to take it.
It definitely used to cool to the 70s in the summer when I was a kid. We never had ac and only had a swamp cooler and it was at least cool at night making it bearable.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
It definitely used to cool to the 70s in the summer when I was a kid. We never had ac and only had a swamp cooler and it was at least cool at night making it bearable.
The summers are getting hotter and more unbearable even compared to when I moved here in 1996.

The few remaining grassy areas and shadetrees make being outside a little more comfortable along with misters and a pool, but all in all Phoenix weather would be nearly perfect if we could skip over June, July, and August.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:05 PM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The summers are getting hotter and more unbearable even compared to when I moved here in 1996.

The few remaining grassy areas and shadetrees make being outside a little more comfortable along with misters and a pool, but all in all Phoenix weather would be nearly perfect if we could skip over June, July, and August.
The summers feel hotter because it nolonger cools off at night. The highs are the same as they were 25 years ago. Due to the lows it increase the daily average making it look hotter which technically it isn't. It just just doesn't cool off like it use to. Unchecked growth has consequences and this is one of them thanks to the urban heat island effect.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Of course it's getting hotter, it has more concrete now than ever. I know some are probably subscribing to the GoreBull Warming agenda but the answer in Phoenix is concrete and a city that grows and grows. I still have some great memories of living there, good city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area