Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:12 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted comment deleted.

Funny how this always comes up when discussing Tech jobs...yes, they typically have a higher entrance salary but I can steer you towards a number of Electricians, Plumbers, Auto Mechanics that make well above $100k per year. Especially some of the Auto Mechanics I know...about 10 years ago the starting salary for a Cadillac Mechanic (Certified) was around $80k per year. These trades continue to go up because the "Tech" folks didn't bother to learn how to fix a leaky pipe, change out a garbage disposal, install ceiling fans or turn a wrench on their own car. Why do you think so many new cars have that big plastic shroud over the engine now. Too intimidating for the average person to troubleshoot and try and fix their own car so they take it to a mechanic...who charges $125 per hour plus parts.

And don't denigrate "Blue-collar" work as brainless. They can build, repair and design things that you need in everyday life. It takes brain power, experience and talent to do some of those jobs...much like a tech job but with real-life physical things, not just manipulating bits and Bytes from an air-conditioned office. Or...next time your Prius breaks down, go ahead and fix it yourself. I don't think you are going to get very far in life looking down on other people just because they chose a different life path than yours.

Sure it is still true that you will earn more money (on average) with a college degree than without but plenty of people are making six figures without the student loan debt. College is not a necessity and definitely not for everyone. Regardless what the Elites try and tell you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-11-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 11:10 PM

58 posts, read 69,438 times
Kurt- I want to start off to say that I respect Blue collar workers, I hire quite a bit of them and respect their craft, I have gotten to a point in my life where the work I used to do I now hire out and they do a much better job than any of the patch jobs I did.

I say this to point out why tech jobs are so sought after for a community, it is the area of the economy that mainly brings in money in from Abroad. This money made by the tech workers is then spent in the community and brings the multiplier effect from a Tech workers salary. Most Domestic oriented jobs only bring money from what is already in the economy, so an economy will weaken without those export oriented jobs. Right now Tech is the big exporter and probably will only increase over time, the cities that cater to these techies will be the ones that will also need blue collar workers and will reward them with large salaries due to demand.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Phoenix should chase something that can not only change its reputation (for the better) but make it economically viable.

Clean energy. Phoenix sits in some of the highest-producing--most efficent--areas in the world for solar energy. I don't see anyone capitalizing on that and putting it here. They just made it possible to store solar energy--and sell it. So why is no one pouncing on the cheap land here and doing that, or buying one of the electric companies like APS, offer a program where if you have solar panels installed and you produce more than you use, you can actually earn money, and they can sell it to someone else?

Phoenix won't be a tech center if:
A) They don't invest in its people (education)
B) Don't invest in sustainability (water mostly)
C) Don't invest in density (something something "walkability")
D) Don't invest in changing its image from things like Arpaio (and with him just being pardoned it will take a while before we can come clean from him)

Millennials my age have pretty much the same desires and Phoenix fits practically none of them. Nothing about Phoenix albeit a few blocks could be considered urban or walkable, the light rail helps but since it's geared to commuters and not neighborhoods does not create an "urban core" quite like many people my age want. Places like Philly, NYC, Boston, Chicago have a dense urban fabric, mostly consisting of row houses or townhouses as we call them here, that is appealing to the youngins. Phoenix doesn't invest in its children--or its teachers. Phoenix encourages the same bland suburbia we grew up in, grew to hate, and want nothing to do with anymore. And people my age don't want anything like Arpaio in any form of leadership. If we want people my age who are educated to come here, then you got to fit the mold that places like Seattle and Denver have managed to do successfully: lots of recreational outdoor activities with an urban fabric and socially liberal particularly to things like abortion and gay rights, lots of diversity, and an interesting nightlife.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideliving View Post
Kurt- I want to start off to say that I respect Blue collar workers, I hire quite a bit of them and respect their craft, I have gotten to a point in my life where the work I used to do I now hire out and they do a much better job than any of the patch jobs I did.

I say this to point out why tech jobs are so sought after for a community, it is the area of the economy that mainly brings in money in from Abroad. This money made by the tech workers is then spent in the community and brings the multiplier effect from a Tech workers salary. Most Domestic oriented jobs only bring money from what is already in the economy, so an economy will weaken without those export oriented jobs. Right now Tech is the big exporter and probably will only increase over time, the cities that cater to these techies will be the ones that will also need blue collar workers and will reward them with large salaries due to demand.
I understand that, I have worked in the Tech sector for going on 25 years...and I am right there with you in hiring out what I used to do on my own. My time is better spent doing other things. My point was...looking down on someone who is working outside the Tech sector in a traditionally blue-collar labor position is a horrible outlook to have on your fellow human beings. Calling them "brain-less" is beyond deplorable.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Actually, the foreigner pay triple to quadruple amount of tuition compared to a local student. I see it as an advantage to US universities. Universities make money out of these foreigners without an assurance of getting a job in the US. US citizens should realize how advantageous they are when in comes to "subsidized cost of education" provided to them and their eligibility to work in any of the large companies once they got the diploma (ofcourse that's given).
I wouldn't necessarily assume that because since most well off families are from highly educated backgrounds. If they can fork out the price for their son/daughter to go to grad school in the states, I'm almost certain that they will be competent enough to be able to find a company willing to petition DHS for a work visa on their behalf. Just look at Silicon Valley for an example.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Funny how this always comes up when discussing Tech jobs...yes, they typically have a higher entrance salary but I can steer you towards a number of Electricians, Plumbers, Auto Mechanics that make well above $100k per year. Especially some of the Auto Mechanics I know...about 10 years ago the starting salary for a Cadillac Mechanic (Certified) was around $80k per year. These trades continue to go up because the "Tech" folks didn't bother to learn how to fix a leaky pipe, change out a garbage disposal, install ceiling fans or turn a wrench on their own car. Why do you think so many new cars have that big plastic shroud over the engine now. Too intimidating for the average person to troubleshoot and try and fix their own car so they take it to a mechanic...who charges $125 per hour plus parts.

And don't denigrate "Blue-collar" work as brainless. They can build, repair and design things that you need in everyday life. It takes brain power, experience and talent to do some of those jobs...much like a tech job but with real-life physical things, not just manipulating bits and Bytes from an air-conditioned office. Or...next time your Prius breaks down, go ahead and fix it yourself. I don't think you are going to get very far in life looking down on other people just because they chose a different life path than yours.

Sure it is still true that you will earn more money (on average) with a college degree than without but plenty of people are making six figures without the student loan debt. College is not a necessity and definitely not for everyone. Regardless what the Elites try and tell you.
Great post.

Most of these 20-somethings nowadays are a clueless, helpless bunch. I mean, they even have Auto Zone guys put on their wiper blades for them.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:42 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Actually, the foreigner pay triple to quadruple amount of tuition compared to a local student. I see it as an advantage to US universities. Universities make money out of these foreigners without an assurance of getting a job in the US. US citizens should realize how advantageous they are when in comes to "subsidized cost of education" provided to them and their eligibility to work in any of the large companies once they got the diploma (ofcourse that's given).
Additionally, if people are coming from around the globe to ASU the school must be doing something right.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Prickly Pear, you covered a lot of points, but I'll only address a few of them.

Arizona hasn't done anything to capitalize on its solar energy potential? Wrong. Aren't you aware of this massive solar energy plant near Gila Bend? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solana_Generating_Station That's only ONE example.

As far as Sheriff Joe: I suspect if you spent two hours with him, you wouldn't dislike him as much as you currently do. He's had a lot of years to learn about life, criminals, the toll illegal immigration takes on a community, gangs, drug and human smuggling, and being targeted by a vindictive President (Obama=good riddance) who favors open borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area