Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I live in Tampa and have the good possibility of losing my home in the next few hours because of Irma.
This entire ordeal is way to stressful to ever go through again.
Does Phoenix have any natural disasters? Wind storms, floods, fires? I am so over hurricanes, tropical storms, humidity, mosquitoes etc.
I am looking into a place to live in the southwest where I could enjoy life without worrying that my life is going to be taken or my home destroyed.
Any imput is greatly appreciated. Please send positive thoughts my way. Thank you.

If anything now is the best time to move to Tampa. The media scared everyone away, much more than Irma was ever able to do. When looking at Florida insurance companies they are doing very well, so the damage was much less than anticipated (again caused by wild media exaggeration). I'm not moving but if I had plans then now or never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Nope, no natural disasters in Phoenix. Not a single one. The "flooding" here is a joke. The "thunderstorms" are cute. The dust storms are few and far between and require common sense AKA heed warnings that will blow up your phone. No earthquakes, blizzards, tornadoes, of hurricanes.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Nope, no natural disasters in Phoenix. Not a single one. The "flooding" here is a joke. The "thunderstorms" are cute. The dust storms are few and far between and require common sense AKA heed warnings that will blow up your phone. No earthquakes, blizzards, tornadoes, of hurricanes.
Well-written.

The only weather-related events we worry about are the heat, occasional flash flooding and microbursts. Monsoon thunderstorms can do some damage but they do not count as natural disasters.

When was the last time a hurricane barreled into Arizona? Never.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
I live in Tampa and have the good possibility of losing my home in the next few hours because of Irma.
This entire ordeal is way to stressful to ever go through again.
Does Phoenix have any natural disasters? Wind storms, floods, fires? I am so over hurricanes, tropical storms, humidity, mosquitoes etc.
I am looking into a place to live in the southwest where I could enjoy life without worrying that my life is going to be taken or my home destroyed.
Any imput is greatly appreciated. Please send positive thoughts my way. Thank you.

My Uncle lives in Tucson Arizona , and as far as Phoenix and Tucson Arizona is concerned the only natural disaster is to be a Senior Citizen and have your air conditioning breakdown in a August Heatwave......

Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 AM

383 posts, read 633,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
My Uncle lives in Tucson Arizona , and as far as Phoenix and Tucson Arizona is concerned the only natural disaster is to be a Senior Citizen and have your air conditioning breakdown in a August Heatwave......
I love that, and yes that can be a disaster!

Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Actually, many people in Tucson have swamp coolers instead of air conditioning and have been able to survive. It is surprising that Tucson has held onto swamp coolers for a longer time considering the average humidity in Tucson is higher than Phoenix.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM

576 posts, read 830,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Nope. The only thing more life threatening is other people, not natural disasters for the Phoenix area at least. People here are more worried about dying from societal causes versus natural causes.
Agreed. And two of the biggest concerns are wrong way drivers and California drivers!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:29 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times
Quote:
Are the dust storms life threatening?
Dust storms are only life threatening if you are driving and do not pull off the road,because you have very poor visibility. However they do not usually last long.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
That's a pretty lame thing to say, man. Until you've suffered flood damage, don't open your mouth. I lived in IL for 35 years, never once had a problem with flooding. Our 2nd year here and we got flooded after a good rainstorm. We had to throw away about $4K worth of personal property, replace 3 rooms worth of drywall and carpeting, not to mention the 6 weeks of our place being ripped up during repairs. Its not fun. And we didn't even get bad flooding, Mesa got hit the hardest.

I would hardly call this a "joke".
http://mesafloodsaz.info/wp-content/...ood/353210.jpg

And contrary to popular belief, AZ does get tornadoes. They don't occur often, but they do occur. Earthquakes? When the big one kicks off in CA, there will definitely be damage here in AZ. That's for sure.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's a pretty lame thing to say, man. Until you've suffered flood damage, don't open your mouth. I lived in IL for 35 years, never once had a problem with flooding. Our 2nd year here and we got flooded after a good rainstorm. We had to throw away about $4K worth of personal property, replace 3 rooms worth of drywall and carpeting, not to mention the 6 weeks of our place being ripped up during repairs. Its not fun. And we didn't even get bad flooding, Mesa got hit the hardest.

I would hardly call this a "joke".
http://mesafloodsaz.info/wp-content/...ood/353210.jpg

And contrary to popular belief, AZ does get tornadoes. They don't occur often, but they do occur. Earthquakes? When the big one kicks off in CA, there will definitely be damage here in AZ. That's for sure.
There are a few areas in the Valley where flooding after storms has occurred, more than once, including that area of Mesa. Fortunately, there are not many of them, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue for those who live there.

Yes, we already dealt with the tornado "issue" upthread. They happen, but rarely, often don't touch down, and when they do have not caused the level of damage other areas of the country deal with regularly. No one should consider the possibility of a tornado as one of the "cons" in a pro/con list of things to consider about a move to AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area