Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 AM

383 posts, read 633,658 times

Advertisements

Let me put the traffic in perspective where I live in the Tampa suburbs.
Honestly, I do not like to drive and in fact I'm originally from NYC where I commuted to work all of my life by subway and commuter rail.
Here in Tampa, I leave my house at 6:15am to get to my job that is 15 miles away. I have to be at work by 8am. If I leave any later, it could take me 30 minutes to get up the road 2 miles.
Because they built a new school in my subdivision, at 7:15am there is so much traffic it could take 40 minutes just to exit the subdivision.
This is not what I thought it would be and never want to be in a situation where traffic makes living in a community so stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
define "real bad"...I'm from Chicagoland, and I dont think its bad at all, but, obviously, others will have a completely different perspective..
I'm from NYC, and traffic is really bad there, but Tampa area where I live now is more stressful. At least IN NYC, you can take public transportation. Here in Tampa a car is a must and everyone drives like in most of the country. Traffic is bad here. It normally takes me an hour to get home from work which is 15 miles away.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
The city seems to keep up with highway repairs/expansions well, but you can tell they're falling far behind on surface streets, many of which are in major disrepair. I'm 18 miles from work, and its routinely 45 minute to an hour to get home. Not much different than what you get in Tampa.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:42 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
With respect to roads, the metro had to play catch-up on the near east valley where growth outstripped the freeways. But these days, it is fair to say that it is infrastructure that drives growth. Freeways are built in middle of ag fields and for a couple years have very low traffic. But the presence of the freeways brings industry, homes, and retail and sprawl. One needs to look no further than the "loops" to see the effect.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Considering the 303 and 24 are freeways to nowhere, I think we are keeping up with growth. The 202 would be finished by now if it wasn't for anti growth old folks in Awahtukee. I can't think of the last time I even had a power outage.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:43 PM

525 posts, read 539,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The city seems to keep up with highway repairs/expansions well, but you can tell they're falling far behind on surface streets, many of which are in major disrepair. I'm 18 miles from work, and its routinely 45 minute to an hour to get home. Not much different than what you get in Tampa.
Surface streets are in disrepair? Where the heck do you live? Yuma?

Personally, I think Phoenix as a whole does a pretty good job with infrastructure. Those who complain have never been anywhere else. Trust me, I could name a boatload of states whose streets suck.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Sounds like Phoenix has its stuff together and thinks before they build!
No power outages? Amazing considering how hot it gets!

Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Sounds like Phoenix has its stuff together and thinks before they build!
No power outages? Amazing considering how hot it gets!
Yes, power outages are exceedingly rare and one of the main reasons that big data centers like to locate here. SRP and APS have done a relatively decent job of making sure the electrical grid (and water supply in SRP's case) are adequate to meet current and future needs. There is more they could do to increase use of renewable sources (solar especially), but that's everywhere. The condition of the roads in Phoenix are excellent, no doubt much to do in part to a combination of lack of freeze/thaw cycles (ice & snow) and quality construction and maintenance by ADOT. For a city of it's size, there is really very little to complain about with regards to Phoenix's infrastructure aside from the fact that it was way behind on public transit (which is being remedied somewhat with further light rail expansions). Once the 202 South Mountain Loop is completed that is going to help relive a lot of the congestion pinch points that are problems in and around he downtown area, as well. Aside from that, Phoenix traffic is not bad compared to other large metros. Now if only our water tasted better...

Old 09-27-2017, 04:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,055 times
Been to several states already and I would say road infrastructures in Phoenix (or even the entire AZ) is superior to those states I've been. Traffic isn't bad here either.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Phoenix does a decent job with their roads and infrastructure as far as expansion goes. Quality of asphalt and the type of paint they use is a different story. It would be nice if Phoenix used thermalplastic pre-cut lines on their major avenues, not just the freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area