Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 05:35 AM

183 posts, read 196,830 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Phoenix the first week of December for just a few days on a business trip. I will only have my evenings free as I will be in meetings from 8-5. I will not be renting a car, but will be staying downtown and should be walking distance to the light rail line. I was hoping for some advice on what to do on a Sunday,Monday,Tuesday night in Phoenix. I checked out the Heard Museum and the Art museum while I was there last year.

I guess what I'm looking for is restaurant suggestions. Must see things near the rail line or a short Uber or taxi ride away. Cool areas to hang out in. I tend to like more eclectic areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times
The challenge will be that many independent restaurants are closed on Mondays, and those early days of the week are the least likely times for events and entertainment. One idea is to check out live music possibilities. Some venues in or near Downtown include the Crescent Ballroom, The Van Buren, Valley Bar, the Nash, and the Rhythm Room.

Interesting restaurants to try include Gallo Blanco (Garfield neighborhood), Cornish Pasty Company (Downtown Phoenix location), Nobuo at Teeter House (modern Japanese tavern food), Bitter & Twisted (cocktails & Asian-inspired bar food). Keep in mind that most of these places are closed Sunday and/or Monday, so check hours and plan accordingly.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 AM

183 posts, read 196,830 times
I appreciate your insights. I'm not really looking for live music or shows as I know that sort of thing is unlikely during the week. Mostly just cool areas with fun shops, cafes, bookstores, etc.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
I appreciate your insights. I'm not really looking for live music or shows as I know that sort of thing is unlikely during the week. Mostly just cool areas with fun shops, cafes, bookstores, etc.
Your best bet is to take the light rail down to Mill Ave in Tempe. Nothing like what you're looking for really exists downtown. We're working on making the downtown better, and its slowy getting there, but its quite there yet.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,316,869 times
Changing Hands bookstore is by the Central Ave/Camelback light rail station-they have a book bar and sell used books (along with new books)
https://www.changinghands.com/changinghandsphoenix
The Gallery at City Hall is a free museum in downtown but only open from 10 to 2 (maybe during your lunch break if you have the time)
https://www.phoenix.gov/arts/the-gallery-@-city-hall
The Lost Leaf is a cool bar that has art and live music most nights with no cover in downtown
The Lost Leaf Bar and Gallery - Phoenix, Arizona USA
Here is a travel guide that lists a lot of the stuff going on downtown
https://wikitravel.org/en/Phoenix/Downtown

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 10-05-2017 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: add more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area