Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's so funny how looking on these boards (for every state and the city boards) how if a person asks about moving to a place, a bunch of locals gang up and say either stay put or consider Texas instead
Says the person who would rather be in California.

Maybe the "locals" don't want more dissatisfied whiners in their town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
First, regardless of educational attainment, pay isn't very good in the Phoenix area. Because you have to defend Phoenix at all costs, I'll emphasize this point: it depends heavily on your field. I've looked intensely in my field across the country and have found that with my education (post graduate) and experience (mid-career), pay isn't so great in Phoenix compared to other places (again, because you insist on playing up Phoenix and neglect content of responses contrary to your beliefs, my field, my field, my field). (I have to spell it out for you, this will vary widely based on the individual(s) involved, but for me I could do better financially, though the OP may work in a field (though unlikely in the wine industry here) that pays proportionately better). Luckily I don't have student loans to pay off, but I know people who do and I can't imagine how much harder it must be for them to pay for those when I feel like my routine expenses are hindered by the addition of a car payment.

I also wouldn't play up First Friday as a cultural activity, because it's not really about the arts. If anything, it's more of a drinking/be-seen/conformity activity. Some of the venues you noted can't even be supported by the Phoenix area and have to share with Tucson (e.g. Arizona Opera and Ballet Arizona). Personally, most people I've met here I feel like I've had to introduce to arts. If you need to spin this into a positive, it typically means if you're into such venues, you generally don't have to deal with crowds or high prices like you would on Broadway (because of higher demand). You also mentioned Old Town Scottsdale... which coincidentally is a tourist-heavy area... and also home to high-end stores that don't exist elsewhere in the area... Could this possibly be a coincidence that out-of-town dollars are supporting such venues, much like how high-end shops in Vegas aren't really present off the Strip?

Consequently, it's funny you mention Nearly Naked Theatre because I saw all but one of their shows last season (due to timing) and they've been getting worse and worse about getting back about season tickets, season schedules, etc. and yet, at every show I went to the producer was talking about relative success and growing lack of funds. Could that possibly have something to do with lack of arts patrons?
Thank you for pointing out that you chose some major, whatever it is, that requires living somewhere in particular to make a good living.

Glad I could point out new arts you are enjoying, if they are having a difficult time with renewals it could have a lot to do with the sheer volume of new arts starting up. There are dozens of new options for arts, to try to act like its struggling is crazy to me. Central Phoenix performing arts venues alone count over 18 options now. Night and day from 10 years ago.

The first Friday event highlights our many local artists and their galleries are open every day and host many other events such as third Friday, art detour and so on. Third Friday came about to keep an event that is more arts focused than the now overly popular first Friday. But my point is not any one event, it’s the awesome art scene we have and love.

Are you denying that our arts scene has not been growing successfully? Look at how many venues exist today compared to 10 or 20 years ago. There’s so many small, local groups it’s nearly impossible to keep up with what’s new.

http://phoenix.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...1d1524f5e4a973

Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yeah I am one of those college educated Phoenicians. I stand by what I say when most leave. I suspect you haven't been around the college crowd recently. There's few opportunities for entry-level college-educated people, which is why many leave. All of my IT friends took jobs in other states rather than stay here (since you mention tech work) because they knew the majority of the opportunities for them were else where.

Unless you grew up in a rich area, then your assumption that people go to college and get hired at F500 companies like CVS right off the bat might make sense, because the VP's son who you would've gone to school with will always have a nice job. And that will alter your perception on how easy it is to obtain gainful employment. It's quite literally not that simple at all for the majority of us though, and its very difficult to land those positions, especially since they are some of the only places paying good wages for entry-level work or maybe work at all different experience levels here in the Valley of the Sun.

And with the majority of the population, no those art galleries are not that popular. It's the truth. I am guessing you didn't grow up in the lower middle class if you think otherwise. Try visiting West Valley, you know the ENTIRE other half of town some time. There's more to Phoenix than Scottsdale and Tempe--I know, it blows people's minds! When Phoenix's "culture" are situated in East Valley, which you even proved yourself by not mentioning a West suburb at all, you are only helping to prove none of those offerings exist for the other half of town. West Valley is the most rapidly growing side of town and it's not anywhere near those things. So what will they do instead...? Most do what I mention above, in the younger crowd at least who this thread pertains to.

The median hourly wage in Phoenix is $17/hr. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_az.htm Across all occupations. If you make significantly more than that, then you are disconnected from the majority of Phoenicians. Especially if your social circle also makes much more than $17/hr, because birds of a feather flock together. Remember, median means 50% of Phoenicians are making less than $17/hr. You think they are paying to see ballet shows and operas? Maybe some of them, but I guarantee more of them are trying to pay rent, or working two jobs.

I think it's a safe assumption that the young make the bulk of that sub-$17/hr pay, which is the demographic I was mostly discussing. They most likely are not seeing ballet shows and operas, because it's too expensive for them when they are trying to pay rent and keep their A/C on. So instead, they engage in cheaper activities, like the ones I listed previously.

Again, the MAJORITY of Phoenicians aren't interested in that stuff. Especially when half of them are making less than $17/hr.

All I said was that if your interests were more artistic as an example, versus outdoors and sports, then it would be harder to befriend people our age here. And since I am a similar age of the OP, I feel like my commentary holds some ground here. I'm a liberal college-educated young person, but I'm not from the East Coast.
All I said is arts, careers and college educated population in the parts of Phoenix that most college educated newcomers consider moving to is in line with other major cities in the country. I absolutely agree the west side is a different world entirely and has not seen the prosperity or economic growth that most of the east side has. I have however been to a few shows at the Peoria arts center, since you mentioned it.

And $17 is the state median hourly wage, Phoenix is about $23/hr or 4% under the national average. https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/new...es_phoenix.htm

Look, I’m not saying Phoenix is perfect but I do get a little tired of people acting like the grass is so much greener elsewhere, I’ve lived and worked in many major cities along both coasts, throughout the Midwest, and a bit in the South. For the most part people struggle in every city, sure wages may be more in SF or Seattle but the expenses are a helluva a lot more too. I’ve talked with countless folks in Silicon Valley who would love to get out of a multiple roommate situation but even with $100k salaries it’s not possible.

I probably am a bit older than you but I’m by no means rich or did I grow up rich, paid my own way through college and still working to pay off that debt now. I land solidly in the middle class but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:48 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
All I said is arts, careers and college educated population in the parts of Phoenix that most college educated newcomers consider moving to is in line with other major cities in the country. I absolutely agree the west side is a different world entirely and has not seen the prosperity or economic growth that most of the east side has. I have however been to a few shows at the Peoria arts center, since you mentioned it.

And $17 is the state median hourly wage, Phoenix is about $23/hr or 4% under the national average. https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/new...es_phoenix.htm

Look, I’m not saying Phoenix is perfect but I do get a little tired of people acting like the grass is so much greener elsewhere, I’ve lived and worked in many major cities along both coasts, throughout the Midwest, and a bit in the South. For the most part people struggle in every city, sure wages may be more in SF or Seattle but the expenses are a helluva a lot more too. I’ve talked with countless folks in Silicon Valley who would love to get out of a multiple roommate situation but even with $100k salaries it’s not possible.

I probably am a bit older than you but I’m by no means rich or did I grow up rich, paid my own way through college and still working to pay off that debt now. I land solidly in the middle class but thanks for jumping to conclusions.
That median is for household, not individual/per capita The median individual income in the country is about $30k/year, or $14.50/hr

Old 10-07-2017, 12:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Virtually everyone from AZ is from somewhere else. I believe NY sends more people to AZ than any other state except CA, so you'll be amongst tons of ex-Yawkers.
Not even close. 2015 US Census figures for the number of Arizonans that lived in a different state a year earlier.

CA 54,646
WA 14,183
TX 13,025
CO 11,039
IL 11,017
UT 10,165
MI 9,069
MN 8,499
NM 8,030
FL 7,833
OR 7,163
NV 7,153
NY 5,564

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...migration.html

Old 10-07-2017, 12:06 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3la View Post
I like to think we're tolerant people, in regards to anyone's opinions. I'm more worried about locals not liking us or giving us a chance to fit in BECAUSE we're from the NE. I lived briefly in Maryland and the fact that I was simply from up north made people very aggressive and intolerant towards my family.

It is a massive metropolis of transients. No one cares where you are from. If they do, they will be gone in five years anyway.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
As to political leanings, don't be put off by some of the negative comments here. There is a disproportionate percentage of belligerent wingnuts that post here, which is not representative of the population as a whole. You don't need to keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Yes, you will be in for a huge culture shock if you are liberal, rural Northeasterners. You are moving to the conservative, suburban Southwest. There are people definitely people here who share your political beliefs, but this state leans much more conservative than anywhere in NYS. The weather and landscape are obviously extremely different than anything in NYS (110+ days over 100 degree weather, occasional stretches of months without rain, and occasional dust storms), the majority of people here have Midwestern or Californians roots, the Hispanic population is higher than most places in NYS outside of NYC and Lower Hudson Valley area, public education rankings here are at the bottom of any state in the country, the economy is extremely reliant on real estate, and the gun culture here is unlike anything you've likely experienced in the Northeast. i'm not trying to dissuade you from moving here, but moving here will be a change.
Nice negative spin there, true facts but with zero mention of any positive aspects of life in AZ.

- We have 110 days above 100 and zero below 30. Summers are hot, like winter in NY state your time outdoors will be lower in the summer but the high country is close so getting a break isn’t too difficult.
- There are a lot of guns but gun violence isn’t particularly bad, it is about average.
- Public education ranks 48th for spending per pupil and performance comes in around 40. If a good school is important to you then you’ll want to be more selective and probably focus on Chandler or Gilbert.
- It is more conservative than NY, somecities are very conservative, some are less so. As a state we are on track to have “others” as the largest registered party in the near future, today it’s already close.
- The scenery around central Arizona never ceases to amaze people, from the Superstition Mountains to the beautiful salt river canyon, outdoor adventures are endless.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
As to political leanings, don't be put off by some of the negative comments here. There is a disproportionate percentage of belligerent wingnuts that post here, which is not representative of the population as a whole. You don't need to keep your opinions to yourself.
Many of the comments posted on this forum come nowhere close to my day to day reality, having lived here for over 14 years now. The sheer negativity is mind numbing.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:36 PM

173 posts, read 170,609 times
I moved from your neck of the woods and then moved away from AZ but not for the reasons stated on this board. I couldn't find a good job. Jobs in AZ tend to not pay well and wages aren't keeping up with the rise in cost of living.
There are a lot of NYers, NJseyans, New Englanders, and people from the NE In general who move to AZ. It's very live and let live. You'll find lots of liberals in the Phoenix metro area - especially around the university in Tempe.
I say come visit first. If you like it, then go for it. Be forewarned that summers are BRUTAL. You must drink water constantly, even if you are not thirsty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area