Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:04 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,596,190 times

Advertisements

i gotta say, every time I see "I don't want a cookie cutter house" on the Phoenix board, it's like nails on a chaulk board. Sorry, that's what's available if you want cheap, quick & centrally located. You're an agent, you can get fancy later, for now- you need a stucco box in the beige variety, surrounded by similar stucco boxes. Look for the pergraniteel versions if you think you might later find a custom, unique, huge-lot centrally-located unicorn in your budget, so you can sell your stucco box to another sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 04:11 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,934,877 times
One word: 85016.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:26 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,987,612 times
Look in Ocotillo, where I just moved from. Lots of lakes, green grass, trees, and close to everything. Also the schools are magnificent (for the future). Not all is cookie cutter. And the shopping is close, with Chandler Mall, groceries, restaurants, doctors, etc. If it weren't for the heat, I would still be there. zip is 85248.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 PM

34 posts, read 38,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Look in Ocotillo, where I just moved from. Lots of lakes, green grass, trees, and close to everything. Also the schools are magnificent (for the future). Not all is cookie cutter. And the shopping is close, with Chandler Mall, groceries, restaurants, doctors, etc. If it weren't for the heat, I would still be there. zip is 85248.
Thank you! I will look into that area.

I was just kidding about the looking for green. I really have no preference on that and actually find it odd to expect in a desert climate. I'm good with some cool rock gardens

Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,017,028 times
I have to put my 2 cents in and suggest you look at Moon Valley (zip code 85023) in North Phoenix. I am of course partial to the area because I have lived here for more than a decade. They are older non cookie cutter homes with decent lot sizes and some have no HOA. Definitely less than an hour to the airport and very close to all freeways so you can get to anywhere in the valley (or the state for that matter) pretty easily. You might also try zip codes 85022, 85024, 85027, 85028, 85029, 85032, 85050, 85051 and 85053. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you and welcome to Phoenix.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,687,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
i gotta say, every time I see "I don't want a cookie cutter house" on the Phoenix board, it's like nails on a chaulk board. Sorry, that's what's available if you want cheap, quick & centrally located. You're an agent, you can get fancy later, for now- you need a stucco box in the beige variety, surrounded by similar stucco boxes. Look for the pergraniteel versions if you think you might later find a custom, unique, huge-lot centrally-located unicorn in your budget, so you can sell your stucco box to another sucker.
You can find more unique homes fairly quickly but at this budget you'll be sacrificing something and in this case it's most likely the surrounding area may not be as clean and pretty as a Gilbert master planned community but that's real estate 101 right? You never get everything you want.

If I were looking for a home right now I'd check this one out.

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/11.../home/27664372

Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I have to put my 2 cents in and suggest you look at Moon Valley (zip code 85023) in North Phoenix. I am of course partial to the area because I have lived here for more than a decade. They are older non cookie cutter homes with decent lot sizes and some have no HOA. Definitely less than an hour to the airport and very close to all freeways so you can get to anywhere in the valley (or the state for that matter) pretty easily. You might also try zip codes 85022, 85024, 85027, 85028, 85029, 85032, 85050, 85051 and 85053. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you and welcome to Phoenix.
Super helpful. Thank you!

I've been seeing a lot of good reviews of the N Phoenix area.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You can find more unique homes fairly quickly but at this budget you'll be sacrificing something and in this case it's most likely the surrounding area may not be as clean and pretty as a Gilbert master planned community but that's real estate 101 right? You never get everything you want.

If I were looking for a home right now I'd check this one out.

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/11.../home/27664372

Yes, I do expect to compromise. Normally I would research in-depth for a couple of weeks to attempt to better align my list to realities of the local market but alas I haven't the luxury of time; and the metro area is HUGE! I'm certainly not expecting a "unicorn" (though, come on who doesn't hope for one, right?).

That is a nice house! Thank you for sharing it.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,939,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPNCMari View Post
I'm sure the very first thing folks will want to tell me is that I need to visit the area and see what neighborhoods and towns I like; which is very sensible advise. Unfortunately, I will not have time to do that.
My husband accepted a job which had us relocating to Boise Id but was just offered a promotion which will have us instead moving to the Phoenix area. Our house is already under contract to be sold (we already had a house in Boise under contract to purchase even!) so we need to be out by the second week of Nov.
Neither of us have ever been to Phoenix so we are out of our depth and scrambling.
We will be flying out next week to buy a house.
Please do not advise extended stay accommodations or renting as we have 3 dogs in tow and my mother which makes those options not very feasible.

I was hoping the good people of this forum could assist in pointing out some areas and neighborhoods we should look at for relocating our family.

Here's what we're looking at:
-Budget of up to $325K (would prefer to spend less, of course)
-2 of the 3 dogs are small and we're trying to expand our family so I would very much like to not be in areas where some of the neat-o but potentially dangerous desert wildlife will be likely to visit us. I realize animals could be anywhere but I also realize they are more frequently seen in some places vs others.
-We don't need a huge yard but tiny itty bitty yards will not due. At least .2 acre (preferably a bit more) is needed.
-We are socially active and like going to restaurants, shows, bars, festivals, etc. We don't need to be in the middle of an entertainment district but it'd be nice to have no more than a 15-20 minute drive to it.
-As we are trying to add to our family a very safe neighborhood, perhaps appealing to other young families, is a must.
-We try hard to actively support and engage with local businesses so having them around would be a plus.
-I'm not a fan of "cookie cutter" neighborhoods. I realize that may pose a challenge with so much new subdivision construction in the past couple of decades...
-We need a lush green neighborhood with large mature trees
-Just kidding about that last one! I'm already brushing up on xeriscaping

My husband will be working from home or on the road so commute doesn't matter. His only request is to be an hour or less from the major airport.

Also wondering: Would you advise I make a pool a "must have" item? Sounds mostly great, but seems as though the peak heat months could make even getting into a pool a bad idea.

If you guys can think of any other advise or helpful pointers for our quicky relocation I'll take it!

Thanks!
I would check out Morrison Ranch in Gilbert. They are newer homes, but they are all built unique and are not really cookie cutter. Lots of beautiful trees, very green, dog parks, a quick drive to 2 airports.
Downtown gilbert has a large farmers market and boutique every Saturday. Downtown Gilbert has a lot of great restaurants and bars downtown. Gilbert is one of the safest cities in the country for its size and has a great quality of life.

Check out the neighborhood on Google images https://www.google.com/search?q=Morr...w=1920&bih=974

Old 10-16-2017, 07:28 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,580,268 times
I lived in the Phoenix area for 25+ years until 2012 when we moved to Raleigh. If you tell me some areas of the Triangle that are sorta like what want in phoenix, maybe I can help.

It's just MY opinion, but if you're priority is a community that has lots of young families, I don't think the historic neighborhoods are your best choices. If you were waiting to have or never planning on children, those areas are pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area