Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM

96 posts, read 616,679 times

Advertisements

What would you say is your comfort range as far as temperature goes in Phoenix?

I read a post that said the common comfortable temperature range in a pretty humid climate is 65-85. That person also said that you can add 10 degrees on either side if it's a dry climate making 55-95 within comfort range. I know it will vary depending on each individual's preferences but is there any truth to 10 degrees on either end in a dry place?

I'm talking to where you could spend 2-3 hours+ outside and be comfortable and not at all miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
It all depends on the person and what they are used to. I start to get uncomfortable at 85-90 (dry) when I'm outside for long periods of time, but that's me. I don't care for the heat all that much. Mid to high 70's is perfect.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
There's more than just temperature and humidity involved. A lot of outdoor comfort has to do with how much direct sunlight and how much of a breeze are involved. For example: This past weekend I went hiking on Saturday. Temps were in the 70s, but since there were no clouds in the sky and virtually no breeze, I felt warm hiking in the late morning. I was able to cope because I was wearing a broad-brimmed hat and light-colored clothes, using sunblock, and drinking plenty of water. If I hadn't been doing those things, I might have ended up overheated and/or sunburned. Later on Saturday, however, clouds moved in and the wind picked up. Since then, the air temperature has changed only about ten degrees, but I'm now wearing long pants and a light fleece sweater.

Here's another way to look at it: In May and June, the weather is hot and dry. There are virtually no clouds or humidity, but lots of bright sun. During those months, I can stay very comfortable in the shade or after dark, but being in direct sun can be unpleasant without the precautions mentioned above. In July and August, however, the added humidity and cloud cover means that it's hot 24 hours a day. Nevertheless, I actually find some light outdoor activity more bearable due to the absence of bright sun.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM

17 posts, read 68,690 times
Hubby and I moved to Arizona from Northern California. We've lived in AZ 3 years now, and I have found that our "comfort" level has gradually shifted to "warm". I really notice the cooler temperatures (anything under about 62º)
and don't start thinking it's hot until its over 95º.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 PM

Silverbear makes a good point. We spent a little time outside this weekend and my BF's face was red. We seriously were not outside much at all.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Silverbear makes a good point. We spent a little time outside this weekend and my BF's face was red. We seriously were not outside much at all.
Using today (Monday); in the shade, it was too cold (64F) IMHO.

85F @ 10% humidity; again in the shade, is quite pleasant for me

Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
What would you say is your comfort range as far as temperature goes in Phoenix?

I read a post that said the common comfortable temperature range in a pretty humid climate is 65-85. That person also said that you can add 10 degrees on either side if it's a dry climate making 55-95 within comfort range. I know it will vary depending on each individual's preferences but is there any truth to 10 degrees on either end in a dry place?

I'm talking to where you could spend 2-3 hours+ outside and be comfortable and not at all miserable.
80-85 degrees

Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
80-85 degrees
I think I need to change my answer to yours. I'm a baby with regard to the sun. No more than 80!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
If I'm in the direct mid-day sun with no wind and dry conditions, I prefer it anywhere between 20 degrees and 65 degrees. If I'm in the shade or with very windy conditions but still very dry, and I'm just sitting around, not working out, I like it anywhere between 65 and 100. Anything 105 and hotter feels just plain too hot for me, whether it's the sun or the shade. If I'm working out, I prefer it in the 50s and 60s (crisp and cool), and I'd rather err on the colder side, since when you're physically active your body warms itself up anyway. With humidity, I like it anywhere between 55 and 75 degrees. Silverbear hit the spot right on-- whether you're in the direct sun or shade or under a cloudy sky makes a HUGE difference, like night or day.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM

611 posts, read 2,308,080 times
I agree with the contributing factors mentioned. Besides those, I think it also depends upon time of year. In the spring (after we've had cooler temps), I prefer 80-85 outside. Anything below that, and I'm cold. In the fall (after it's been really hot during the summer), I prefer 90-95 outside. Anything below that, and I'm cold then too. I just think it's our bodies getting used to certain temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area