Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 AM

136 posts, read 366,372 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Arizona the first week in July from Illinois. I will be working in Maricopa at a new middle school, but from the research I have done, I am thinking living in Casa or Chandler might be better for me. I am a young, single female and I think there would be more to do in those towns. However, I am definitely not a city person! I like the small town feel. I come from a smaller farming town in Illinois. Ya know...where you go to the grocery store and know almost everyone there. I love that! I know I should look for a place a little bit larger since I will be looking to meet some people, but I don't want any place too large.
I am looking for an apartment for under $700. I found some in Casa Grande, such as Center Park Apartments, the Colony and there were a few more. Not as many in Chandler, but a few.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I am thinking that the drive into Maricopa for work will not be too bad since most people travel out of Maricopa for work, so I will be going the opposite way of trafic.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
I would say Chandler. You have more apartments to choose from and you would be near Tempe were you can probably find lots of singles. Since you would be living in an apartment, you can always move to Casa Grande if Chandler feels too big for you.

As for apartments in Chandler, I recommend Boston Square Apartments. No one lives above you and you get your own private patio.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
kel9798, make sure you realize what each of these three "towns" are. Maricopa was basically nothing more than a railroad stop that about 5 or so years ago exploded into the newest satelite suburb of the Phoenix metro area. Other than the tiny original rural Maricopa, it's basically a brand new city with new subdivisions, grocery stores, fast food places, etc. No apartments in Maricopa, but there are many brand new houses there available for rent-- and for cheap! With three roommates, you could split a house in Maricopa for far less than your share of the rent in a large apartment complex. Yet I do agree there isn't much to do there, and I can understand why a teacher might not want to live right next door to her students!

Casa Grande until about 5-10 years ago was a small farm town of a couple thousand, much bigger than Maricopa, but still pretty small, and since then it has mushroomed into yet another latest satelite suburb of Phoenix. There is a brand new big box store power center built there. They do have a tiny 2 block downtown Casa Grande, which is kind of cute, but with a lot of seedy characters IMO. Casa Grande is probably about twice as big as Maricopa, so there's more to do there, but it's not like there's gobbs more to do either. Just so you're aware, Casa Grande is known for having a gang problem. Also, Casa Grande and parts of Maricopa smell like cow manure all the time. Chandler is a gridded out one chunk of the core Phoenix metro area. It's not a stand alone "town"; it's mostly built out wall to wall, running seemlessly into Tempe, Mesa, and Phoenix. Take a look at Mapquest aerial view and you'll see what I mean. Of these three towns, Casa Grande probably retains the most "rural" flavor, but that is going fast with the growth there.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM

66 posts, read 81,462 times
Of course this is an opinion but from my perspective any hope of a fun social life is gone if you move to Casa Grande. The cultural and social prospects are magnified 100 fold if you're living somewhere north of maricopa. You can also take a look at Ahwatukee it's about the same distance and there are apartments not far from the 10 near Ray.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
kel9798, make sure you realize what each of these three "towns" are. Maricopa was basically nothing more than a railroad stop that about 5 or so years ago exploded into the newest satelite suburb of the Phoenix metro area. Other than the tiny original rural Maricopa, it's basically a brand new city with new subdivisions, grocery stores, fast food places, etc. No apartments in Maricopa, but there are many brand new houses there available for rent-- and for cheap! With three roommates, you could split a house in Maricopa for far less than your share of the rent in a large apartment complex. Yet I do agree there isn't much to do there, and I can understand why a teacher might not want to live right next door to her students!

Casa Grande until about 5-10 years ago was a small farm town of a couple thousand, much bigger than Maricopa, but still pretty small, and since then it has mushroomed into yet another latest satelite suburb of Phoenix. There is a brand new big box store power center built there. They do have a tiny 2 block downtown Casa Grande, which is kind of cute, but with a lot of seedy characters IMO. Casa Grande is probably about twice as big as Maricopa, so there's more to do there, but it's not like there's gobbs more to do either. Just so you're aware, Casa Grande is known for having a gang problem. Also, Casa Grande and parts of Maricopa smell like cow manure all the time. Chandler is a gridded out one chunk of the core Phoenix metro area. It's not a stand alone "town"; it's mostly built out wall to wall, running seemlessly into Tempe, Mesa, and Phoenix. Take a look at Mapquest aerial view and you'll see what I mean. Of these three towns, Casa Grande probably retains the most "rural" flavor, but that is going fast with the growth there.
Thank you! That is great information to think about. I have done some research on all three areas, so I knew some of what you told me already. There are good and bad aspects to consider with all of them. I just can not make up my mind! I guess I will have to wait until I come down in May and check out all the areas.

Thanks to the people who have given me their thoughts on the areas. If anyone has anymore imput they would like to share, I would love to hear it!

I guess I'll have to wait until I am down there in May and

Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM

551 posts, read 2,726,008 times
Chandler would be your best choice (especially being young and single), but finding a good apartment for $700/m will be a little difficult. You might need to consider upwards of $850/m.

If you do go with Chandler, you might want to avoid the areas around Arizona Ave. & Chandler Blvd.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 12,286 times
Default Relocation

Well being married is a little different, but let me just lay this out being I live in Casa grande and work in Chandler.
Casa Grande, much cheaper to live overall! Gas, food, housing, utilities. Things to do, Chandler. However Casa Grande is growing very very fast. They have just opened the Promenade (Outdoor Mall), Target, Pennys, Best Buy, Dillards, Marshall's, and much more. A new LA Fitness is in the works. Costco is coming in by 09. Many new resturants coming in. Many new small business's and much less people to deal with then Chandler. The drive from Chandler to Maricopa is about the same from Casa Grande, however the road from Maricopa to Chandler is outlined with a major train track, 60-80 trains a day, so you are bound to catch one coming or going. Casa Grande back road is not affected. A large Theme Park in the works and will be located 5 mins down the I10 from Casa Grande in Arizona City, means more jobs and more people. For a few hundred more a month then you want to spend on rent you can buy a home, a real home not a trailer. $700 a month in Chandler will get yo a 1 bedroom very very small apartment. So I guess it depends on you? Fast paced life style (Chandler) or medium paced life style, (Casa Grande).

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike64 View Post
Well being married is a little different, but let me just lay this out being I live in Casa grande and work in Chandler.
Casa Grande, much cheaper to live overall! Gas, food, housing, utilities. Things to do, Chandler. However Casa Grande is growing very very fast. They have just opened the Promenade (Outdoor Mall), Target, Pennys, Best Buy, Dillards, Marshall's, and much more. A new LA Fitness is in the works. Costco is coming in by 09. Many new resturants coming in. Many new small business's and much less people to deal with then Chandler. The drive from Chandler to Maricopa is about the same from Casa Grande, however the road from Maricopa to Chandler is outlined with a major train track, 60-80 trains a day, so you are bound to catch one coming or going. Casa Grande back road is not affected. A large Theme Park in the works and will be located 5 mins down the I10 from Casa Grande in Arizona City, means more jobs and more people. For a few hundred more a month then you want to spend on rent you can buy a home, a real home not a trailer. $700 a month in Chandler will get yo a 1 bedroom very very small apartment. So I guess it depends on you? Fast paced life style (Chandler) or medium paced life style, (Casa Grande).
Thanks Madmike64!
I have made the decision to move to Casa Grande. Hearing your post just makes me even more sure that is where I should be. I know the night life and social scene will be better in Chandler, but I am not the clubbing and partying type of person anyway. I enjoy the medium paced life style you were talking about.

I do have a couple questions for anyone reading this; is there an Aldi grocerie store there? It's a small store that we have here in Illinois which has very cheap prices.
Also, does anyone have any pictures of Casa Grade? I have seen a couple that where in other posts, but if anyone has anymore I would love to see any kind of pictures of the area.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I do have a couple questions for anyone reading this; is there an Aldi grocerie store there? It's a small store that we have here in Illinois which has very cheap prices.
Also, does anyone have any pictures of Casa Grade? I have seen a couple that where in other posts, but if anyone has anymore I would love to see any kind of pictures of the area.
My preferred way of looking at pictures of other cities is through Google Earth (free download). Search for Casa Grande, AZ, zoom in and click on the blue dots.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,491 times
yep. and zillow.com you can sometimes see a street better than google earth.

Ama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area