Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:47 PM

83 posts, read 80,378 times

Advertisements

As part of our plan to move to the Phoenix area, my husband and I are looking possibly at Maricopa. This will be for our retirement, which means no commuting issues. We currently live about 35 miles outside Philadelphia in a lovely, quiet suburban/rural area, which we love. No need for nightlife for us, but we do have a need for things like Lowes, Target, Starbucks, and a variety of restaurants, plus veterinary services, the usual medical support, maybe a community pool if the house we buy doesn't have one.

If you live in Maricopa, I'd love to hear what you like/love/wish could be better about it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 01:50 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,571,454 times
I'll just say that I wouldn't consider Maricopa to be in "the Phoenix area". It may be a good fit though.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:02 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,325,518 times
Not sure what your time frame is - but while much of what you desire will eventually be part of Maricopa - SOME is not yet.

No Target - (closest one is in Chandler), They have a Walmart/Home Depot, but no Lowes I do not believe and no hospital.

Maricopa during the boom did almost exclusively houses - and they are just now catching up with infrastructure. Don't get me wrong - it is a fine retirement town and it will grow into having some of these things - just not there today.

Casa Grande may be an option - as it was more developed to start with during the boom - it has things like both lowes/HD, a hospital, a mall, more restaurant choices etc.. - On the other hand - CG is about to experience a pretty big boon also with the amusement park and other things forthcoming so.....

CG is also about 5 minutes longer drive into Phoenix than Maricopa - but it also puts you much closer to Tucson for those trips.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:31 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,944,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post

CG is also about 5 minutes longer drive into Phoenix than Maricopa - but it also puts you much closer to Tucson for those trips.
Ya, but for Casa Grande you get to use the 10.

The one road in and out of Maricopa is awful. I have heard of people taking 3 hours to get home from Phoenix on that route.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Ya, but for Casa Grande you get to use the 10.

The one road in and out of Maricopa is awful. I have heard of people taking 3 hours to get home from Phoenix on that route.
Yes - true - but in fairness I 10 has it's own issues also since it is only 2 lanes each way in that stretch.

AND - if I have my way (but I think it will be close) the road improvement sales tax issues will pass next week and a high priority project of those funds is 347 widening AND a parkway the other direction out of Maricopa down into Casa Grand and over to the 10 - so at least there would be a better escape route if 347 is backed up.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 4,967,066 times
Even if you're not commuting, I expect you'll be going to Chandler/Tempe a lot. It's been a few years since I visited Maricopa, but as others have mentioned it is isolated and when there are traffic problems on 347... well, ouch.

I'd look in the East Valley for options... Gilbert, Queen Creek, etc. I think you'll find all the services you are looking for to be more convenient.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM

45 posts, read 47,287 times
Default Philly born

Maybe try San Tan or Queen Creek. I grew up and Philly and we lived in Az until recently but we lived in San Tan for a year and it was great. The desert farms with the goats and cows, the mountains and open spaces plus you can get to all those destinations via Queen Creek being a whole lot closer. Maricopa is cool and cheap but I would try San Tan you are still closer to Phoenix and you can get to Casa Grande and Tuscon with no issues when you want.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherPhilly View Post
Maybe try San Tan or Queen Creek. I grew up and Philly and we lived in Az until recently but we lived in San Tan for a year and it was great. The desert farms with the goats and cows, the mountains and open spaces plus you can get to all those destinations via Queen Creek being a whole lot closer. Maricopa is cool and cheap but I would try San Tan you are still closer to Phoenix and you can get to Casa Grande and Tuscon with no issues when you want.
Yes - we don't have a budget for the OP - and that would factor in - Santan is on par price wise with Maricopa and Casa Grande. You are correct - from SanTan or QC they are closer to some of the suburban amenities they desire. But just for reference those places are not closer to Phoenix itself.

SanTan to Phoenix - 57 mins

Maricopa to Phoenix - 42 mins

Casa Grande to Phoenix - 51 mins

Subtract 15 mins or so from CG and Maricopa from those times to get to Chandler - which has everything.

All a matter of the neighborhood they want, price, views, etc.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,751,875 times
If you just want basic suburban amenities, I'd look at Queen Creek, Casa Grande, or San Tan Valley. I imagine San Tan may be more scenic also, but I haven't been out there in a minute.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:07 PM

83 posts, read 80,378 times
Thanks for all the info. so far. As many of you have pointed out, Chandler is likely to be our go-to place for services not available in Maricopa. I will say the lack of a hospital in Maricopa concerns me somewhat, as does the one route in and out.

With regard to SanTan and QC, I have two impressions: one, that there is a problem with the private well and septic service in the former, and two, they each may be a little higher priced than Maricopa. Our budget is $300k tops, which appears to purchase more in Maricopa.

Casa Grande intrigues me for sure. My husband will be there in a month scouting, so we will keep all this in mind when he gets there. We return in January for more scouting and possibly buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area