Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

So coming this Winter I will be moving to Mesa and have found quite a few apartments near the Superstition Springs Shopping Center that are in my price range and offer amenities I am interested in.

I was wondering how the area itself is, as I have never lived close to a shopping mall and, seeing as malls are slowly declining in America, I wanted to know if the area is becoming run down or not. Are there any specific areas that get sketchy or dirty or is it a generally clean area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 AM

202 posts, read 220,086 times
The Superstition Center is still alive. It's never been the best mall in the area, but it hasn't sunken to the depths of Fiesta Mall or the area around that mall. If I had to bet money on the next mall to decline in the Phoenix area, it would probably be Superstition Springs, but for now it's chugging along. The area around there isn't bad, from what I remember.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Depends on what side of the mall. North of the mall is a little sketchy, south of the mall is actually a really great area.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
The Superstition Center is still alive. It's never been the best mall in the area, but it hasn't sunken to the depths of Fiesta Mall or the area around that mall. If I had to bet money on the next mall to decline in the Phoenix area, it would probably be Superstition Springs, but for now it's chugging along. The area around there isn't bad, from what I remember.
I'd actually say the next mall to decline would be PV Mall. Macerich has listed the mall as being "in redevelopment" for several years now, with no end in sight, and hasn't released the mall's sales per square foot figures in years. This isn't a good sign for PV Mall. Much of the upscale shoppers in the area are instead shopping at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Biltmore Fashion Park, Scottsdale Quarter, or Kierland Commons.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'd actually say the next mall to decline would be PV Mall. Macerich has listed the mall as being "in redevelopment" for several years now, with no end in sight, and hasn't released the mall's sales per square foot figures in years. This isn't a good sign for PV Mall. Much of the upscale shoppers in the area are instead shopping at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Biltmore Fashion Park, Scottsdale Quarter, or Kierland Commons.
Oh yeah, PV Mall! I almost forgot about that place!

Old 11-02-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Depends on what side of the mall. North of the mall is a little sketchy, south of the mall is actually a really great area.
How north of the mall would you say is sketchy? I have a relative who lives near recker and brown and I kind of like that area personally. Is it just the immediate north, like broadway and main?

Also, one of the places I am looking at is on East southern road and south greenfield, close to the superstition freeway. Does it get sketchy over there?

Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
Wasn't Fiesta's decline brought on by Superstition? Only reason I ask is because I thought Superstition was considered the newest and best mall in Mesa. Which malls are better?

Also, another poster said South is a nicer area than North, in your experience would you say North is sketchy? I have no experience with Mesa whatsoever and just want to get my knowpedge right before I actually move there (last time I lived in Phoenix was about 8 years ago in Paradise Valley)

Last edited by Kingwzrd; 11-03-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,647 times
Our office was close to baseline/power for 3 years, until June 2016. I agree that south seemed better than north of the mall. Also it never felt like this mall was in decline to me. Lots of restaurants etc in the area, always seemed busy, at least for lunches.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:23 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwzrd View Post
Wasn't Fiesta's decline brought on by Superstition? Only reason I ask is because I thought due to this Superstition was considered the newest and best mall in Mesa. Which malls are better?

Also, another poster said South is a nicer area than North, in your experience would you say North is sketchy? I have no experience with Mesa whatsoever and just want to get my knowpedge right before I actually move there (last time I lived in Phoenix was about 8 years ago in Paradise Valley)
Somewhat, although Arizona Mills, Tempe Marketplace, and Chandler Fashion Center put the nail in the coffin for Fiesta Mall.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwzrd View Post
Wasn't Fiesta's decline brought on by Superstition? Only reason I ask is because I thought Superstition was considered the newest and best mall in Mesa. Which malls are better?

It was brought on by the opening of Chandler Fashion Center and Tempe Marketplace. Fiesta Mall got stuck between these two larger, more upscale malls. Fiesta's actually pretty small and had no chance of competing with the other malls even if you could make the argument that a nicer neighborhood could've saved it. I realized this after visiting the mall a year ago.

Most people who lived in Tempe and Chandler went to Mesa to go shopping, particularly Fiesta Mall. Once the new shopping centers were built, there was no reason for people to go to Fiesta. The nearby neighborhood was never wealthy enough to sustain a mall on its own.

It's really sad driving through that area. Just 20-25 years ago, it was the place to be and hang out with friends and family. I know a new mall isn't going to be built there, but I hope that the area becomes more lively. I hate seeing it so dead now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area