Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Phoenix a better place to live or vacation to?
Live 24 60.00%
Vacation 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 614,315 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, is Phoenix a better place to live or just take a vacation to?

*Living there in the winter and somewhere else in the summer doesn't count. If you vote for live it counts for living there year-round.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
I voted for "vacation." I used to come to the Phoenix area every year with my family for about 8 years before I moved here in '04 for college. If you're from a cold-climate place, coming to Phoenix during the fall, winter, or spring months feels great! There are some really nice resorts in Phoenix, Paradise Valley, and Scottsdale. If going to Phoenix is incorporated in or includes a road trip to sights in northern Arizona (Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Meter Crater, etc) or Tucson/ southern Arizona as well, you can make it into a fun-filled vacation. Even visiting Phoenix in the summer, the heat isn't so bad when you're on vacation. It's when you have to put up with it day after day after day when it gets on my nerves. In fact, I'm willing to bet that I'll actually enjoy Phoenix MORE when I move away and come back to visit every so often (I have some family in the area and some friends I've made here in the last few years), do some desert hiking, go swimming, get some good Mexican food, maybe catch a Sun Devils football game, etc. It's just that, for me, personally, I think there are better choices for year-round living.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,112,160 times
I can't answer this one as I have lived here my whole life so I don't know if it's a better vacation spot. I don't know if I'd even think about vacationing here if I lived somewhere else. I would be going to CA than AZ.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
It's a great place to live and it's also a great place to vacation. Look at all the visitors during the Fall, Winter and Spring months who come to the area.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 PM

306 posts, read 1,243,814 times
Post It's both ... depends on time of the year.

When I first moved to Phoenix, I was part time resident living there October to May ... It was spectacutar and I loved it.
I traveled - on business - during the summer months and only occassionally popped in to change out clothing. it was hot but fine.

However, I met my husband in Scottsdale ... we got married ... had a child and then after 8 years of living there only in the late fall, the winter and early spring ... I suddenly found my self there year round. yikes that was a very rude awakening. Personally, I felt trapped by the heat in the summer. Indoor activities were not my thing. Parks are very empty mid-day ... it's too hot. We finally reloacted to more seasonal climate so our kids could enjoy and outdoor summer more.

I love Phoenix ... however, that love is only there in the pleasant months of late fall, winter and spring ... come summer ... I loath the place ... there is too much traffic, smog and heat.

My 2 cents /based on 9 years of living there full time.
and 7 years living there part time - 16 years total time in central Arizona.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 PM

132 posts, read 590,840 times
we moved here 2 yrs ago and love it. miss our family & friends in Chicago but don't miss the winter season. actually when our friends & family come visit, they also love it. they've been here during the summer... so they know the heat!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM

307 posts, read 950,774 times
Default Fair Weather friend

To many folks, the Phoenix area is like a fair weather friend....

As evidenced by the many snowbirds that flock here from January to May, and sometimes as early as September-October.

But come June, July, and August...

Then Phoenix becomes the friend that is forgotton until about the end of the year....

The flock heads North!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,905,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
In your opinion, is Phoenix a better place to live or just take a vacation to?

*Living there in the winter and somewhere else in the summer doesn't count. If you vote for live it counts for living there year-round.*
I say live I would never think to take a vacation here.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM

8,017 posts, read 12,161,891 times
The Phoenix area is good for both residents and vacationers. As it has been stated many times, however, the summer months are not very pleasant for anybody to be here. June, July, August, and September are simply too damn hot for humanity ... except on the occasion when we get a good thundershower (which doesn't happen too often).

But the rest of the year is pretty pleasant as far as weather is concerned. Contrary to what some malcontents have said, the Phoenix metro area has a lot to offer as far as things to do. Plenty of professional sports to choose from year round (Suns NBA basketball, Diamondbacks NL baseball, Coyotes NHL hockey, and Cardinals NFL football). An active nightlife can be found in Tempe, Scottsdale, and some parts of Phoenix. Plenty of sights to see in and outside of the Valley as well.

Vacationers generally like it here ... but some of them really need to learn how to drive, and realize that the left lanes are NOT slowpoke lanes!
()

Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 AM

96 posts, read 614,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Phoenix area is good for both residents and vacationers. As it has been stated many times, however, the summer months are not very pleasant for anybody to be here. June, July, August, and September are simply too damn hot for humanity ... except on the occasion when we get a good thundershower (which doesn't happen too often).

But the rest of the year is pretty pleasant as far as weather is concerned. Contrary to what some malcontents have said, the Phoenix metro area has a lot to offer as far as things to do. Plenty of professional sports to choose from year round (Suns NBA basketball, Diamondbacks NL baseball, Coyotes NHL hockey, and Cardinals NFL football). An active nightlife can be found in Tempe, Scottsdale, and some parts of Phoenix. Plenty of sights to see in and outside of the Valley as well.

Vacationers generally like it here ... but some of them really need to learn how to drive, and realize that the left lanes are NOT slowpoke lanes!
()
Are pro sports really popular in Phoenix? I know it's a great NBA town and the Suns have been huge there since they have been around since the 70s but what about baseball, are the D-Backs pretty popular there? I guess the Cardinals are becoming more popular with their nice new stadium and the team is slowly but surely starting to improve and at least they care about trying to build a good team since they are re-signing Larry Fitzgerald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area