Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 17,069 times

Advertisements

Is it worth an extra $300- $500/month to live in a nicer apartment? Any Opinions?

When I made the decision to relocate to Phoenix I was convinced I wanted to start out here cheaper. But it's nice having granite and stainless steel. And it's also nice having neighbors with higher levels of education, more palm tree lined avenues, more upscale shopping/restaurants, etc. But $500/month adds up to $6,000/yr. That is a substantial amount of money (at least for me.) But dam, it's nice to come home to luxury.

I was wondering if anyone else has been down this road, and what their thoughts are on it.

I've been apartment shopping and have pretty much decided on the E. Side -- out Tempe way. But I'm dragging my feet on cheap counter tops, vertical blinds, white appliances, streets outside the property lacking landscaping. The property was luxury 10 yrs. ago and the initial construction was good. And it is professionally managed and maintained and has had some updating done. But it's hard to go backwards once you get used to certain life style.

When I think about I could do with an extra $3,600 - $6,000 a year? I get excited about that.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Only you can decide what’s important to YOU and what you find value in. /thread

Old 11-12-2017, 03:36 PM

202 posts, read 220,154 times
When I think luxury I think modern, that’s it. Luxury is used to frivolously when it comes to apartments, it’s a joke. The main concern with cheaper apartments isn’t if the amenities are good, it’s whether or not you’re ok being around questionable people. Cheaper rent usually means more shady neighbors.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim_ View Post
Is it worth an extra $300- $500/month to live in a nicer apartment? Any Opinions?

When I made the decision to relocate to Phoenix I was convinced I wanted to start out here cheaper. But it's nice having granite and stainless steel. And it's also nice having neighbors with higher levels of education, more palm tree lined avenues, more upscale shopping/restaurants, etc. But $500/month adds up to $6,000/yr. That is a substantial amount of money (at least for me.) But dam, it's nice to come home to luxury.

I was wondering if anyone else has been down this road, and what their thoughts are on it.

I've been apartment shopping and have pretty much decided on the E. Side -- out Tempe way. But I'm dragging my feet on cheap counter tops, vertical blinds, white appliances, streets outside the property lacking landscaping. The property was luxury 10 yrs. ago and the initial construction was good. And it is professionally managed and maintained and has had some updating done. But it's hard to go backwards once you get used to certain life style.

When I think about I could do with an extra $3,600 - $6,000 a year? I get excited about that.

Any thoughts?
I just rented an apartment downtown that's $300/month more than the apartment I was renting uptown, but am selling my car, which will save me $550/month ($400/month car payment, $150/month insurance), and am already using public transportation. I'd rather live somewhere nice

Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
It depends on a lot of factors IMO.

If you are the type to spend quite a lot of your leisure time around your immediate surroundings and will be getting a lot of use out of the amenities, then probably yes. If you tend to go elsewhere or travel a lot, then no. If you are like me and work all of the flippin' time, then save your money and live where ever as long as it is safe

What other plans do you have for the $3600-$6000? You don't have to answer me on that, but it's something to think about. If you plan to eventually save up for a house to buy, take the extra expense of the luxury apartment into account because saving might be a bit more of a challenge I use my money to travel when I can and yeah, saving for a house.

You are right about the cheap-looking countertops, vertical blinds, and the white appliances, lol. I think that those are universal in most rentals country-wide. Even though it is an apartment you can improve the look of it by adding nice decor which is what we have done with the townhouse.

Alternatively, you can also look into renting a house in a nice area. We went that route before and rented a condo in the state we were living in at the time and it worked out very well for us. We had the freedom to landscape it the way we wanted and the streets in the area were all landscaped nicely. We also had great neighbors.

I did go w/ a luxury townhome when my company transferred me to the Louisville, KY area some years back. It was $1120 a month and had real marble counters, etc. I liked it okay but I personally didn't think it was worth the money I was paying. I am probably different though because I grew up blue collar and love gritty neighborhoods/cities that have a mix of people. The luxury townhouse had nearby shopping and even shuttle service to shopping. The thing I do miss is the two-car garage...I could sure use that up here in NW Pennsylvania.

Good luck w/ your apartment decision and hopefully some of this has helped.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
When renting, I go with the cheapest place I can tolerate living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
When I think luxury I think modern, that’s it. Luxury is used to frivolously when it comes to apartments, it’s a joke. The main concern with cheaper apartments isn’t if the amenities are good, it’s whether or not you’re ok being around questionable people. Cheaper rent usually means more shady neighbors.
Absolutely. It's usually the shady neighbors that are the biggest problem for me. Of course if you have sewage backing up into your apartment, or there are other sources of disturbance, that's a problem too. Other things that are a no-go for me are moldy showers, nappy worn out carpeting, pet smells, cigarette smells, and not enough windows. As far as granite countertops, wood floors, high end cabinets and stainless steel appliances go, I'd rather save my money and get those things when I can afford to buy.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Personally, what I've found is newer apartments built within the last decade are termed "luxury" apartments. But what's great about newer apartments is energy efficiency. An older apartment might rent for less, but once you factor in the cost of electricity especially in the summer time, it's kind of a no brainer at that point.

I say this with personal experience, I ditched my "luxury" apartment that rented a 1 bedroom for $970/mo for a 1 bedroom that rents out for $825/mo. Sounds good on paper, but the power bill for the more expensive apartment in the summer tops out at $100 while the one I'm in right now tops out at $350! No joke. It was the worst decision I've ever made so I'm moving soon.
But in terms of your extra $300-500 a month, it depends on what "luxury" you're talking about. There are some apartments termed luxury that is only $100-200 more than an older apartment. So just look for some nice, but cheaper options and you should be fine.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Frankly the luxury apartments are ridiculous. But my standards aren't that high.

I pretty much could not care less about what the inside of the apartment looks like or the amenities the complex offers me, what I care about is if it's in a good location in town. Does the area have high crime? Is the area close to night life? Will I have an obscene commute? Are there good grocery stores near by? Am I close to a gym, good places to eat? Do I get good phone and internet service in this part of town?

It seems you cannot have a good location and also not have a ""luxury"" apartment these days. If I could have a crap apartment but less than a mile from the north part of Mill Avenue (where all the bars and light rail is) I'd take it in a heartbeat. Give me an apartment with stained carpet if it means getting into a nice area.

I was recently apartment hunting in north Phoenix and I was looking at either ~$900/month for a two bedroom apartment or a minimum of $1100/month for a two bedroom apartment. And the differences between those were drastic. I'm talking the ones under a 1000 or less were ghetto apartments in higher crime zip codes while the ones for a minimum of approximately 1150 or so were in average, middle class areas (not areas I would consider ""luxury"" mind you). At that point 200-300 more a month is worth it.

So normally I would say that much more a month is NOT worth it but given my recent experiences, I might be inclined to say it is, if you get to be in a better location. However if the location is pretty much the exact same, in the sense that you don't get to be closer to good amenities or less crime or something, then it is not worth it. But most of the time those seem to go hand in hand, which is why I am saying do the luxury apartment if you can afford it but also provides better access to those amenities. Obviously a luxury apartment with no location advantage is not worth it.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
In Phoenix it's cheaper to buy. I saw this first hand myself. An apartment in Midtown would've been ~$300/month cheaper (again, same exact apartment, and including the HOA fee here) if you bought instead of rented. Downside? You have to have the down payment. If you qualify for a really good FHA you might be able to get away with a low down payment but that still raises your mortgage rate.

Renting in general sucks. I can't wait until I'm able to buy my own place one day.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
You answered your own question. You like coming home to luxury and being around professional people. Can't have champagne taste on a beer budget - HOWEVER,

If you're planning on staying in town for a couple+ years I would highly recommend you find a condo in a nice area with amenities that needs work and buy it! Put your money towards your equity and building your own wealth! but that's just me- I'm too cheap to pay high rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area