Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times

Advertisements

Here's the issue. Black and white rules are less risky to enforce. Garage door open... get a notice. Very simple. Deciding what's messy is subjective, and it opens up things like discrimination lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSvenska View Post
Guess that I'm happy that I live in a neighborhood with some carports attached to homes. When the garage doors up, you really can't tell them from the carports. Btw, seeing an open garage door does not really constitute an "eyesore", imho.
Well it does if it is used as an unkempt storage unit instead of parking your cars. Have encountered quite a few of these garages that it makes me wonder what their houses look like. Type in messy garage in google images and you will get my point. Try looking at that from across the street every day.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
I don't like HOAs or their rules so we live in a single family home. We chose to keep our garage door closed for privacy, security, and to keep out any uninvited critters. There are many reasons to do it but HOAs do need to codify what they expect for your benefit and that of your neighbors. Before I made that a habit, I opened the back door to the garage one day to find a stranger in my garage!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Here's the issue. Black and white rules are less risky to enforce. Garage door open... get a notice. Very simple. Deciding what's messy is subjective, and it opens up things like discrimination lawsuits.
Correct. The reasons for the rules are messy garages not for those that just have cars but they can't say one person can't have their garage door open while another can though sometimes they can if they say front facing garages can't and side facing can.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
the HOA writes a general rule and will write the messy ones and overlook the well kept garages.
And open themselves up to lawsuits under AZ law.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
And open themselves up to lawsuits under AZ law.
Subjective targeting is done ALL the time. The key is you don't want to make it obvious (putting it in writing, talk about it at meetings or in public etc). Maybe the person looking at violations for open doors didn't get to the other blocks or simply forgot to tag the person with the beautiful garage. For that matter, if you talk with the person who sent out the notice, you can find out if it was a random observation or a neighbor that complained. That's in the law as well. A lot of people don't know that.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Subjective targeting is done ALL the time. The key is you don't want to make it obvious (putting it in writing, talk about it at meetings or in public etc). Maybe the person looking at violations for open doors didn't get to the other blocks or simply forgot to tag the person with the beautiful garage. For that matter, if you talk with the person who sent out the notice, you can find out if it was a random observation or a neighbor that complained. That's in the law as well. A lot of people don't know that.
The community managers I deal with now and have dealt with in the past, aren't smart enough to hide targeting activity. I've called out my current manager a couple of times just for the appearance of targeting because the courts are not friendly to HOAs and a harassment suit would be a huge PITA.

I do agree with you though that if more people who got written up understood their rights and demanded specifics of how the violation came to be (as required under law), there would be few shenanigans and mostly equal treatment. But hey, I also believe in unicorns.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Well it does if it is used as an unkempt storage unit instead of parking your cars. Have encountered quite a few of these garages that it makes me wonder what their houses look like. Type in messy garage in google images and you will get my point. Try looking at that from across the street every day.
I can't imagine a neighbor's messy garage bothering me. That seems pretty petty, but that is just me apparently. My subd does not have a closed garage rule as of yet. Most people close their garages regardless as garage item theft is rampant in Phoenix - it accounts for most property crime in nicer areas - and as protection against home invasion.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:31 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Is it really theft, Ponderosa . . .

. . . when you "dangle a carrot" in temptation?

Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Is it really theft, Ponderosa . . .

. . . when you "dangle a carrot" in temptation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area