Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,330 times

Advertisements

There may or may not be malfunctioning cameras but I haven't read one person yet who was claiming that. Everyone I have seen has owned up to the fact they were speeding and just want to get out of the fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
There is no "there may not be"

It's a verified fact - they've admitted to around 2,000 known tickets sent in error ....... those are just the ones that they've been brought to task on

also, on many of these threads you'll hear people not knowing why they received one, having it be the back of their car and the front of someone elses and numerous other errors

not to mention that whole attitude is insane ..... don't like it don't do it dismissed the heart of the majority of the issue

i've never received a speeding ticket in my life and have never been sent one by one of these things (although I have been flashed at times when I was well within legal - never received tickets though) so you could say that I don't do it and still hate the concept

Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
My feeling on all these threads is, if you don't comply with the speed laws, don't be surprised when you get caught, even by the cameras. Slow down, pay up, and move on.
So people getting ticketed for allegedly going 1mph over the speed limit is just A-Okay with you? Have you ever had your speedometer calibrated to ensure that it's not 1 or 2mph difference from actual speed? No, of course you haven't.

And you know what? The police also rarely bother to do any more than a half-assed calibration job on their equipment.

So your speedometer is off, their measuring equipment is off. You set the cruise control for the posted speed limit; you still get a big fat ticket.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
So people getting ticketed for allegedly going 1mph over the speed limit is just A-Okay with you? Have you ever had your speedometer calibrated to ensure that it's not 1 or 2mph difference from actual speed? No, of course you haven't.

And you know what? The police also rarely bother to do any more than a half-assed calibration job on their equipment.

So your speedometer is off, their measuring equipment is off. You set the cruise control for the posted speed limit; you still get a big fat ticket.

I dont have the link for it, but theres an official Redflex brochure (pdf) online that says it always gets within -/+ 1 mph. Also, says it has just a 2% error over 60 mph.

I was clocked at 66mph, supposedly. 2% of 66mph = 1.2mph.

Do the math, maybe I was only going 64.8mph.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
There may or may not be malfunctioning cameras but I haven't read one person yet who was claiming that.
Some of the posts in this topic or perhaps it was one of the other radar topics described that the picture of the front of the vehicle was a different vehicle than the photograph of the rear with the license plate. That pretty much sounds like a malfunction to me.

If the cameras can't get the pictures right it throws doubt on whether it got the speed right or wrong, or whether it photographed entirely the wrong vehicle.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,586 times
Just received my first ticket! $181.50, Signed by a RF not a traffic cop, or is RF a traffic cop....? Well anyway it says I was going 68 in a 55 mph, I looked at my speed it was 63...going down into a dip on I-17 South, I am unemployed am basically homeless except w/ my child and her boyfriend letting me stay w/ them... Wow talk about a deep hole. No Job, No future job, no money to live anyplace, bad credit, and now being ticketed by something at night that I dont even know had a posted restriction and going down hill........can anyone help

Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Angry Need Help With A.R.S.

I recently discovered that I had 4 photo radar tickets in Scottsdale only minutes apart and on the same day dating back to feb 2006. I contacted a lawyer and was told to obtain an affidavit of service from the court. After doing so i discovered that the citations were supposed served to a 40 yr old caucasion male at a home that I sold over a year prior. I am an african american male so i found this ridiculous to say the least. A hearing was set to argue proper service, at which I presented the bill of sale of my previous address as well as the deed of purchase of my next address to show that there was no way that I was served properly. As is the norm, i ahve since learned, Judge Marie Martinez of the Scottsdale City Court found that I was indeed served properly. Her explaination was that the state "attempted" to serve me at the address they had on file so that constituted proper service. Her use of the word attempted in of itself proves that proper service was not achieved. I am currently appealing these citations and have been unsuccessful in locating the Arizona Revised Statute that sets forth the rules governing legal process of service. I am preparing my memorandum and desperately need that statute. Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,419 times
posted speed limits are rebuttable in Arizona as well as in many other states. If it were against the law to drive over the speed limit, then the law would state that and it doesn't. The law says that a driver shall not drive at a speed that is not reasonable and prudent. The law (at least in AZ) also states that the speed limits are set at certain speeds for certain locations and any deviation from that should be due to a traffic study. Traffic studies are public record and can be obtained by a freedom of information request.

You cannot ignore the ticket even if you were improperly served. The process server informed the courts that you were properly served. If you were improperly served, you need to show up for your court date and provide evidence as to why you were not served properly. From what I've been able to find out, that may not be good enough for the justice courts and you may need to appeal to the superior courts.

There is a lot of information available in Susan Kayler's book and I have found a lot of info on [URL="http://www.camerafraud.com"]www.camerafraud.com[/URL] and the camera fraud group on meetup.com. Not only is there a lot of info about how to fight your case, it also has a lot of activities to participate in to get the word out there for people to fight the tickets and get petitions signed so we can get rid of the photo radar.

I'm sure we can all agree that the photo radar is not for safety, it is for revenue. Otherwise, the cameras would have the ability to remove dangerous drivers from the road before they can hurt someone....like a live police officer. What the cameras do is track our every move and raise money for the state.

If you think I'm crazy, download the Redflex manual and see how many of these cameras are continuous running video...

Old 11-26-2009, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,419 times
Default To Mone356

I'm not sure service is in the Arizona Revised Statues. I believe service is part of the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure, which gives the court rules.

ARS Title 12 discusses courts
try this for civil procedure: [url=http://www.served.com/az.asp]ARIZONA RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE[/url]

good luck!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Here is a thought.. slow the heck down and pay your fine and enjoy the higher insurance rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area