Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

Photo radar is nothing more than a revenue generator for government agencies. I'm just thankful that there are some intelligent members of the Arizona Legislature who agree that these cameras are just cash cows, and are wanting to put the brakes on widespread camera usage on the highways. Napolitano admitted (in so many words) that these radar cams are a good source of revenue to help the state's budget deficit.

As far as promoting safety, photo radar does no such thing. Human officers are the only ones who can pull you over, give you a lecture on traffic laws & safety, and cite you (or even arrest you) for breaking the law. Can radar cameras do any of this? Absolutely not! Someone please provide some factual information that photo radar actually makes the roads safer. I'm waiting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Are they a cash machine? Sure...but who is making them "work"?

I'm not saying they are a good idea and I myself have been caught once or twice, but I don't blame the government for having the cameras there, I blame myself for speeding past them.

That's what I don't get...people are so upset that they don't promote safety and all they do is generate cash for the government...but who are the ones that are keeping the speed camera companies in business?

Seems like a lot of people have the concept that it's alright to break the law unless you get caught...sounds like back in high school when most kids hate the cops...and the only reason they hate them is because they can't drink, act out, etc.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As far as promoting safety, photo radar does no such thing. Human officers are the only ones who can pull you over, give you a lecture on traffic laws & safety, and cite you (or even arrest you) for breaking the law. Can radar cameras do any of this? Absolutely not! Someone please provide some factual information that photo radar actually makes the roads safer. I'm waiting!
If you can't see how they help people slow down and stop running through red lights, then I don't know what to tell you. I am very happy to have photo radar.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
If you can't see how they help people slow down and stop running through red lights, then I don't know what to tell you. I am very happy to have photo radar.
I'm not talking so much about red light cameras. I'm generally in favor of those because there are too many people who run red lights and put other people's lives in danger. There is factual evidence to prove that running red lights causes accidents ... very serious (and fatal) ones.

However, speed is not the cause of accidents. Inattentiveness and being impaired behind the wheel are the primary causes. I may be a fast driver for the most part, but I have a spotless driving record (no accidents) because of the fact that I'm always attentive. Quite frankly, the near misses I've encountered have been by SLOWPOKES who cut across the solid white exit lane at the last second and have almost side swiped me because they weren't paying attention. Slow driving on freeways (especially in the left lanes) can be dangerous because it impedes the flow of traffic, and causes impatience/road rage among other drivers. So how does getting people to slow down make the roads safer???

I guess I could say that I'm happy to have photo radar too ... if I wanted Arizona to be a robotic police state! But if I'm going to be cited for a traffic violation (which I never have been, BTW), I'd much rather deal with a human cop than a stupid camera!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 AM

611 posts, read 1,991,431 times
I can't believe how many people are so complacent with the continuing loss of Liberty. We are now being convicted by machines. Wake up! If you drive slow stay to the right and let the more adept drivers pass. The founding fathers would be mortified at how the government has become so punative and our daily lives so regulated. Our prisons are full of non-violent drug offenders. We pay people billions to work year round to come up with new laws. How many laws do we need? Perhaps we should all have GPS inserted into a bodily orafice so that the government knows how fast we are going where no cameras are currently set up. Maybe cameras in restrooms to arrest non hand washing disease spreaders. That's a huge public safety issue. Where does it end?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:09 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
This country is based upon rules and laws. If you can't follow/obey them then you pay the consequences.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This country is based upon rules and laws. If you can't follow/obey them then you pay the consequences.
But only as the law requires or provides...

Minor immorality can be vigorously defended to the extent the law allows...It is the American way..

Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,586 times
Default Photo Radar Scottsdale Questions

Hello,

Does anyone know for sure if Scottsdale City Court sends out process servers to out of state drivers in Northern California. I recieved two photo radar tickets 4 minutes apart on the 101 loop, and wondering for sure what will happen if I ignore these tickets.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
More than likely you won't hear from them until you come back here again and get stopped by the police, they run a warrant check, then the hammer will drop big time.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams1210 View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know for sure if Scottsdale City Court sends out process servers to out of state drivers in Northern California. I recieved two photo radar tickets 4 minutes apart on the 101 loop, and wondering for sure what will happen if I ignore these tickets.

Thanks
Well - let me tell you a little "story" -

Seems there was this guy who, like you, got two photo radar tickets right in a row - guess he liked having his picture taken

Now, I don't know how fast you were going but, this guy had the "pedal to the metal" as the saying goes -

Scottsdale tracked him down, through several states, and arrested him - at his office -

Food for thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area