U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:30 AM

597 posts, read 423,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Hi Forum,

I'm a suburban dweller and somewhat risk-averse, but what parts of town are worth considering for renewal and gentrification in the near future? I'm new at this real estate gamble, but it's interesting to hear others opinions of up and coming neighborhoods
Hi Doug, are you looking to fix and flip - or hold and rent for cash flow?? 85032 is good for rental income IMO - eg, a nice 2 bedr townhome near PVCC will always rent well because of its central location. Would I buy a fix and flip in that zip code -?? probably not because I wouldn't get my money out- again this is IMO- a lot of people don't like to be landlords either so must consider the pros/cons for either option ...

The best place to go for information is the Cromford Report - big predictors of the real estate market - great analytical reports and trends - since it's a subscription type report I can't publicize here but in short - for phoenix - top zip codes for appreciation in 3q2017 were 85007, 85009, 85015, 85017, 85033, 85035, 85040, 85041, 85043, 85054 fyi.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 14,258 times
Areas I see improving currently/soon: South Phoenix continues its upward swing, the areas going further East of Central from Glendale Ave to McDowell, the area surrounding North Mountain/Sunnyslope, various historic neighborhoods dotting the landscape, and the uptown area.

With that being said, with every gentrification comes with it a relocation of the bad stuff. I see neighborhoods falling on a daily basis. For instance, since the expanse of the light rail, the police have moved the transients, homeless, druggie population further west from the I17. Now, neighborhoods from Dunlap to Thunderbird, 28th ave to 35th ave are suffering. I expect Maryvale to further erode. The area around the I17 and 27th ave/ Indian School will continue to be the highest crime area in the state. Little is keeping they neighborhoods in the northwest valley together. With development further west and north, this part of town seems to be yesterday's new in continuous decline.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM

5,064 posts, read 4,387,657 times
I'm not sure if Sunnyslope will gentrify in the near future. The area is hid in it's own enclave, kinda difficult to access from the direct East (Scottsdale or so) and a pain coming in from Downtown from stop and go surface street. Southeast it isn't so bad to take the 51 up and get off at Glendale or Northern from the 202. Even easier access from the West with a Dunlap exit. It got passed up on the light rail, unless we are including 19th and Dunlap as part of Sunny but even then it's out of the way for most of Sunnyslope. ADOT is proposing a light rail extension to run up the 51 to PV mall (connecting with the main line around Indian School and Central), bypassing Sunny entirely, unless they change it to Cave Creek but for some reason I don't think they'll do that.

Sunnyslope does have the blight, affordability, and the views and mountain access, that make it a prime area for gentrification. Sunnyslope also has a decent high school which helps it, but the elementary and middle schools are subpar. Though I wouldn't agree that it's at an easily accessible location. I live in Moon Valley and I work in Downtown and in rush hour it's a pain for me to drive on Greenway. The 51 is a rather pleasant freeway during rush hour, one of the better ones here in the metro for commuting I've noticed. But Greenway is almost half my commute time (I'm near 7th street).

In comparison, there is a lot of flipping and new construction going on in Moon Valley I have noticed. Makes me wonder if the lower income area around 32nd Street and Bell/Union Hills will gentrify.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:42 PM

2,852 posts, read 3,904,437 times
Some of the old neighborhoods near downtown and parts of south Phoenix are ripe for gentrification.

I hope the Metrocenter area becomes gentrified too, it's disappointing to see what was once a nice area become run-down.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 PM

22 posts, read 14,258 times
The problem with the valley is the lack of reinvestment into existing areas. When built, these shopping plazas had a shelf life, and when expired they simply built further out. It's been happening since the 1960s. Metrocenter was once part of that up and coming further out expansion, but sadly the wave has passed it by, and now we have Arrowhead. In a decade, Arrowhead will be ghetto and we'll have a new mecca further out still.

Scottsdale has solved their problem. The entire city is nice.

South Phoenix and downtown have come a long way.

Another problem with Phoenix is that they like to put the homeless/drug addict/criminal/gang element into pockets rather than spread it out evenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or