Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:01 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times

Advertisements

Browsing through listings, I see lots and lots of electric, but don't think I've seen any gas. Is that a thing? Are all the dryers electric, too? We'll really want gas, and will be willing to pay to put it in if we have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Not all areas have gas service, so in some cases it’s not an option at all. I have gas service (furnace, dryer, fireplace) but the geniuses that built the house didn’t run it to the kitchen. It would have been a huge job to run it for the range so I opted for a higher end induction range and it’s been a pretty good compromise. You can certainly find gas ranges in certain areas though.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Not all areas have gas service, so in some cases it’s not an option at all. I have gas service (furnace, dryer, fireplace) but the geniuses that built the house didn’t run it to the kitchen. It would have been a huge job to run it for the range so I opted for a higher end induction range and it’s been a pretty good compromise. You can certainly find gas ranges in certain areas though.
Wow, that's a bit of a bummer. Is there any resource that will help me figure out which areas have gas service? If I were to tell a realtor that I only want to look at homes with gas, how much would that limit us?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:20 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Honestly, you should go for induction ranges anyway. There is a growing consensus that it is better technology than either gas or traditional electric.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Honestly, you should go for induction ranges anyway. There is a growing consensus that it is better technology than either gas or traditional electric.
But for the cooktop, we really want gas.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Wow, that's a bit of a bummer. Is there any resource that will help me figure out which areas have gas service? If I were to tell a realtor that I only want to look at homes with gas, how much would that limit us?
It’s hit or miss. As far as I know, Southwest Gas is the only provider, so you may want to contact them. After working with induction, it’s almost preferable to gas, so I can think of many other criteria that would take priority over a gas range, but that’s just my opinion.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
This is typical in the SW. Basically where areas developed initially as low density scattered housing they did not get gas. The gas companies simply do not run gas mains to service low density housing areas. And in the SW it is of lesser import. There is not the drive for heating the homes that exists in colder climates.

You can of course achieve gas usage by installing LPG. It is however generally as expensive as electric.

Where we live in suburban Las Vegas there is now gas in the street. But the cost of bringing it in is very big...over $10,000 before we get to the on property cost. So it is done only for new construction.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
we have gas cook top/hot water heater/dryer; electric heat pump though

and, as others have said, for cooktops, induction is a ton better than gas, just takes some time to adjust

contact SW gas when you find a house you like, and they can tell you if there is gas in that house

Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
It will limit you tremendously. Unless you (and your realtor) enjoy experiencing utter frustration, drop this as a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It’s hit or miss. As far as I know, Southwest Gas is the only provider, so you may want to contact them. After working with induction, it’s almost preferable to gas, so I can think of many other criteria that would take priority over a gas range, but that’s just my opinion.
But that doesn't mean the homes in areas serviced by SW Gas actually HAVE gas. We live in far eat Mesa, in a community that offered gas when the home were built. The homes were roughly 5-7 years old, all had been offered gas when built by the tract builder. Very few opted for it which surprised me. Reasons included "it cost more when the house was built" and more frequently "I'm used to electric." Our home was one of those with electric stove top, but had gas running in the backyard for the gas grill. The gas line was right along the wall where the stove was located, so we got a couple of estimates to run it to the stove. That idea was dropped when the estimates were over $3,000 PLUS the cost of the new stove.

That said, we did put gas in the kitchen when we built our current home in Raleigh. I don't think the builder charged more for it. And I admit, I love the thing and would be unhappy to go back to electric. And would quickly switch it out for induction.

If we wanted gas for our dryer, there was an additional cost. Obviously, we have an electric dryer.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-01-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 12:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
But for the cooktop, we really want gas.
Just tell your realtor that's one of your requirements. For some reason it really became popular here in the early 2000's, so many newer built homes have gas service. In my experience the only that I've seen built since 2005 which do not have gas are some lower end housing product (starter type homes). If you're looking in an area with 90's and prior built homes, it may be only electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area