Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree. This is the Phoenix forum. Who cares about what's going on in Illinois?
The Midwest seems to get compared to Phoenix constantly since so many people have left there and moved here but comparing vertical prominence of mountains, especially those within close proximity to large cities is like Shaq versus Kevin Hart in a dunk contest, this is going nowhere but has made for some good laughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
because he needs to feel correct.

Thread’s about mountains in Phoenix and somehow that morphed into a contest between the Phoenix Mountains and misc hills in the Midwest. Who cares?
Well, had you read the thread from start to finish, you'd see the mountains here in AZ were FIRST being compared to mountains in Canada and Colorado. I didn't see you bashing that. I guess you were ok with that for some reason? I dunno.

And if you understood the conversation at hand, I'm making a point that many hills in the Midwest are as tall as the hills here we call "mountains". Its absolutely on topic, sorry if you don't agree with it. But if people here are content with calling spots like A Mountain a "mountain", yet hills in Missouri that are taller (than A Mountain in Tempe) are "just hills", then we really are a special kind of stupid here in AZ.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
They’re pretty typical among the Southwest’s minor mountain ranges that are all over Arizona, some are bigger than others but PMP has a handful of >1,000 prominence mountains including Piestawa, Shaw Butte, and believe it or not Camelback is geologically connected to the Phoenix Mountains too.

Not sure why you’re so focused on just these, if they’re not big enough for you to do the Toms Thumb route I showed you or Siphon Draw.
I plan on hiking that route, actually. Thanks for showing me that, I didn't know it existed. As for Flat Iron/Siphon Draw, but not sure I'm quite in shape for that beast yet.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I agree. This is the Phoenix forum. Who cares about what's going on in Illinois?
Yet you didn't care about comparisons to the mountains in Canada, New Mexico, Colorado, East Coast, etc, that were being discussed? Your anti-Midwest bias is strong. Don't be mad that skyscrapers in the Midwest are taller than many of our "mountains".

Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yet you didn't care about comparisons to the mountains in Canada, New Mexico, Colorado, East Coast, etc, that were being discussed? Your anti-Midwest bias is strong. Don't be mad that skyscrapers in the Midwest are taller than many of our "mountains".
ALL OF IT is off topic, actually. But there is a running theme on this forum to always bring up Illinois. Dude, I am FROM the midwest, but I don't need to talk about it 24/7. I left for a reason.

This whole thread has gotten ridiculous. I am amazed that people have nothing better to do than argue about hills vs. mountains or whether "my mountain is taller than your building (apples to elephants)." I wish my life was so carefree!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 AM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, had you read the thread from start to finish, you'd see the mountains here in AZ were FIRST being compared to mountains in Canada and Colorado. I didn't see you bashing that. I guess you were ok with that for some reason? I dunno.

And if you understood the conversation at hand, I'm making a point that many hills in the Midwest are as tall as the hills here we call "mountains". Its absolutely on topic, sorry if you don't agree with it. But if people here are content with calling spots like A Mountain a "mountain", yet hills in Missouri that are taller (than A Mountain in Tempe) are "just hills", then we really are a special kind of stupid here in AZ.
If we're talking technical semantics, then "A" Mountain is not the actual name of that specific example you keep bringing up - it's just a popular nickname for it. It's technically referred to as Hayden or Tempe Butte. In fact, almost all of the technical names of the smaller "mountains" in town are referred to as "buttes". See Twin Buttes, Signal Butte, etc.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
ALL OF IT is off topic, actually. But there is a running theme on this forum to always bring up Illinois. Dude, I am FROM the midwest, but I don't need to talk about it 24/7. I left for a reason.

This whole thread has gotten ridiculous. I am amazed that people have nothing better to do than argue about hills vs. mountains or whether "my mountain is taller than your building (apples to elephants)." I wish my life was so carefree!
Make it carefree. You could start by moving there.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
This thread reminded me of my ex wife who was originally from Utah (I'm in Kentucky). One summer my parents took us for a week's vacation in the Great Smokie Mountains, in east Tennessee, a popular vacation in this part of the country. My ex, used to the Rockies and Wasatch Mountains, looked around and said, several times, "Well, these are nice, but in Utah..." . I think my parents were about tired of hearing those three words "but in Utah". lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area