Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM

33 posts, read 31,669 times

Advertisements

I spent last week in downtown Phoenix; the purpose of my trip was to run the Arizona Marathon (which was a great time!). The more I walked around, spent time around Roosevelt Row and the Garfield neighbourhood, felt the warm sun, even met some nice people. I could see myself living there. There are things happening in Phoenix, new housing construction, new ideas and new businesses opening. Where I've lived most of my life seems to be the home of big dreams that just never happen. I didn't realize how isolated I felt here and how much time I spent looking for one job/one apartment/one thing that would change the reality of bad luck here.
Then I went out to Phoenix and realized there's so much more out there. I would love to be somewhere affordable (it's just me so a studio apartment suits me just fine - I don't need a car either; I love the outdoors hiking or walking/running and the Y downtown in Phoenix is awesome.

However, this is January - when I left to go to Phoenix it was -25 wind-chill in Niagara Falls and it'd been that way for nearly two weeks. Landing in Phoenix felt like paradise in comparison. My question is...and I already know the partial answer - what's it like there between, say, May and October? I'm well aware of the heat but is it something where you can go walking or jogging at 6am and be fine? Can you get out and walk during the day despite the heat or is it truly unbearable? If you're new to Phoenix, is there anything you learned after moving there that made you think 'if I had known this before moving out there, I would have reconsidered'?

This is my second post on here so I'm hoping to engage in some good discussion with everyone. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM

640 posts, read 956,637 times
You will get responses from 2 groups of people: Those that don’t mind the heat and will tell you no problem to go walking/jogging in the morning and evening; and those that tell you that it is so miserable you will not want to leave your apartment for 4 months straight.

So really the only for you to know how you feel about it is to come out for a week or two in July. See for yourself if you like it and can handle it. That is the only way for you to know.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,958,672 times
Oh, here come the "I visited and love it" New Yorkers. Come here in late June when its 118 out and walk around. All week.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,633,311 times
Thanks for sharing your positive experience! I think you're right. There's a lot going on and it's a pretty cool place to be. It's definitely hot in the spring and summer, but not nearly as miserable as the cold, snow and gloom IMO and life certainly goes on despite the heat. Come for a return visit in the summer and see for yourself. That's really the only way to know how you'll feel about it. Everyone has different tolerances to weather.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
I visited Niagara Falls in the summer a couple years back. Aside from the pot holes in the roads, it was paradise compared to Phoenix in summer as well as most of spring and fall. Those summer days will make a shut in out of you and even if you go out, you will fight the crowds and the traffic. There are far too many people here already for the resources available such as roads and recreation and everyday is a struggle to find personal space.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:51 PM

90 posts, read 113,035 times
It's hot as hell but your body will acclimate (hopefully).

Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitshipp View Post
It's hot as hell but your body will acclimate (hopefully).
Somewhat. But then you sit around in December and January cold and shivering and bundled up in layers until 11 am because you are "acclimated". Then it's back to bundling after 4. The weather is only really nice for a couple weeks in March and again in October and lately we have had record heat even then.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM

50 posts, read 52,876 times
I don't know what the agenda is for these replies, but during the summer it is in the 80s at 6AM and plenty of people go out then for hiking, walking, bike riding. Do you want to do those things at noon? No.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM

656 posts, read 812,690 times
The positives of summer are guaranteed wonderful mornings to go out at 430am-830am, and much less traffic. Summers are also when you take your trips, to the Mogollon Rim, White Mountains, Flagstaff, or even Summerhaven.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:17 PM

90 posts, read 113,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
The positives of summer are guaranteed wonderful mornings to go out at 430am-830am, and much less traffic. Summers are also when you take your trips, to the Mogollon Rim, White Mountains, Flagstaff, or even Summerhaven.

Yes, that's another plus. While there are negatives to the heat, the drop in traffic is noticeable and very much welcomed. And it's just a quick 2 hour trip to cooler weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area