Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that 78 is the typical average set point for our climate. Those who keep it at 72 are typically transplants from colder climates.
According to who? No one’s house that I visit is nearly 80 degrees in the summer. That’s crazy. I get that it’s expensive but I can’t imagine sitting around in that heat indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 PM

56 posts, read 40,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanavarrete1 View Post
ya, I feel bad for all the beautiful homes around the Heritage swim park, that is where all those new apartment houses are being built. If I had a nice home there, I would not be a happy camper... I wonder if those apartments are government housing??? I looked them up and the rent is like 1600 a month. So I was thinking that maybe there were renters in there that make descent money, but if it is government housing then that's not good at all!!!
No, it's not government housing. Just inappropriate for the community.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM

80 posts, read 98,610 times
Agree!!! I'm surprised that the Verrado HOA let that happen???

Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 AM

346 posts, read 549,414 times
Quote:
Agree!!! I'm surprised that the Verrado HOA let that happen???
Strictly speaking, Verrado doesn’t have an HOA; it has a Community Association (which tenants are welcome to join). That Community Association’s Board of Directors is still controlled by the developer, DMB, who appoints all the officers. So there was no chance the Community Association would oppose the architecture of those townhomes if DMB was on board.

From what I heard, the residents brought their concerns with the ugly architecture to the city but DMB’s sign off on the elevations saying they met the Design criteria was enough to get them passed. DMB created the design guidelines and theirs is the opinion that mattered in the end.

The rentals aren’t horrendous, they are just boxy and boring and don’t have the charm and character of the rest of Verrado.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:49 PM

80 posts, read 98,610 times
ahhh ok. So in your opinion, do you think it will be lower class or middle class living in those apts? What what do you think it will do to the school right there? I've heard allot on noise about them and I don't think folks like it..

Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM

56 posts, read 40,367 times
Quote:
ahhh ok. So in your opinion, do you think it will be lower class or middle class living in those apts? What what do you think it will do to the school right there? I've heard allot on noise about them and I don't think folks like it..

No, they're still relatively expensive. . .not that price matters because riff raff can be found at all income levels. The problem is the architecture and the high density. I have a second home in Verrado, but fortunately it's in the Main Street District overlooking Verrado way. I'd never purchase in Verrado's newer sections. It strays away from the original feel.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM

346 posts, read 549,414 times
Quote:
The rent charged ($1500-1850 a month) is high for the area so those townhomes will be rented to people willing and able to pay a premium to live in Verrado, not to those for whom money is an issue.

I’m not sure what you mean by “what will it do to the school?” Verrado Heritage Elementary, which opened in 2016 close to the swim center, is a beautiful school with the same traffic and chaos during drop off and pick up all schools have. In terms of enrollment, both the Verrado elementary schools are not at capacity and continue to take (and approve) open enrollment applications from families who are districted for other schools in the neighborhoods in which they live so an increase in school age residents in the townhomes shouldn’t be a problem.

The townhomes are located right by an outdoor swim /rec complex, so that area was always noisier than most of Verrado! However, the amenity key cards don’t work after 10 p.m. (which is when quiet hours start) and the facilities’ rental contracts stipulate music must be off after 10 p.m.

This sort of high density housing was always part of DMB’s plan for their communities, and the land was always zoned to accommodate it from day one. (So residents opposing the townhomes on the basis of the ruined view from the swim center or the fact that they are rentals didn’t have a leg to stand on, legally speaking.) It’s just unfortunate that the architecture of the final product doesn’t have more charm and character. THAT I lay at DMB’s door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area