U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 PM

2,851 posts, read 1,760,025 times

Advertisements

Earlier this month, I visited Phoenix. My friend lives off of 19th and Northern, which I guess it's central Phoenix. The reason for my visit is due to a possible relocation. Phoenix, along with two other cities, made my list of a possible relocation. I would like to rent for a few months before purchasing a house.

Food: DAMN, you guys had an amazing food scene. I went to a nearby Mexican restaurant and it was really good. However, the spot that stole the show was Bobby Q's. Where I live, there's no place that can match up to Bobby Q's cuisine. Their food was so good. While I was only in Phoenix for a few days and my exposure to Phoenix's food scene was limited, I was impressed from what I have tasted.

amenities: LOTS AND LOTS of shopping and I love it. There's malls everywhere and there's big named stores everywhere. It doesn't seem that I would have to drive too far to go to a favorite store of mine. A HUGE BONUS is that I am a avid wrestling fan and sports fan. I know wrestling events come to Phoenix all the time and I know that my favorite sports teams play in Phoenix AT LEAST once a year. If I did move, that would be a HUUUGE plus.

traffic: I purposely avoided rush hour because I didn't have the energy to fight through it. The only time I ran into traffic is when it was 3pm, on a friday, in Glendale, on I 10, heading East. And I do have to admit, some of you guys drive like *******s. Sorry to say, but some of you guys do. The driving style really mimics Los Angeles' driving style--aggressive and unreasonable....which I'll get to my next point.

vibe: It definitely has a California vibe, specifically Los Angeles. That vibe felt the strongest in Scottsdale. When I was doing some shopping on North Scottsdale Blvd, I would say that 3/4 of the cars I saw were brand new cars or luxury high-end cars. I don't fit in with that crowd but it was cool to see, I guess.

Tempe: It definitely felt like a college town. It was the same feeling that I got when I visit Davis or Berkeley. And there's some pretty women in Tempe too!!! I enjoyed my time in Tempe the most.

Chandler: It reminds me of the city I live in now. Newer, bigger suburb, lots of amenities, but it's 1/2 of the price and the property taxes are 1/3 of mine.

Weather: It was absolutely perfect. I was able to wear a sweater during the morning time, wear shorts in the afternoon and evening, and wear another sweater at night. I couldn't ask for better weather.

concerns:

traffic: Phoenix metro is about 5 million. And even though the area itself is really huge, it still gets congested. And I also noticed that most of the freeways that I've been on were only 3 lanes. That's a huge issue for a city that is expected to grow exponentially. I hope they widen the freeway lanes.

weather: Yea....I don't know if I could handle the 110-120 degree heat. Where I live, it gets to 106-108, but those days are far few and between. And when it does get that hot, we have the delta breeze to cool us down during the night. But on average, our summers sit in the 90's and our night times are perfect. I often wear wind breaker during summer nights. From what I heard, there's no relief in Phoenix. It's just constant 110-115 degree of relentless heat. While I am quite comfortable with 105 degree heat, adding 10 degrees of constant heat is a different story. FWIW, i like to be out when it's 105. It doesn't bother me at all.

I am visiting Phoenix, and two other cities in July, to see what Phoenix's summers are all about. I should make a final decision later on this year. While it's possible that I will stay in California, the more likely outcome is for me to move out of California.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM

319 posts, read 709,563 times
The traffic is no big deal compared to most other major cities. The heat is no big deal as AC works great in cars, shops, home, and work. Plus, you get to enjoy the pool a lot more in the summer.

One way I fight the heat is to use the pool a lot more in the summer, drink lots of ice cold water, and take the occasional trip to higher elevations or the beach for a break. It's a lot better than being in -8 degrees weather that you can't escape easily.

No place is perfect. If Phoenix didn't have the high heat, this place would be over-run by even more people for the great weather, cheap cost of living, and relative close access to Vegas / So Cal. Cost of living here would be astronomical without the summer heat.

Phoenix is also a major hub for Southwest and American (formerly US Air), so getting to most places is a simple direct flight, which is amazing.

Overall given the cheap cost of living and amenities, Phoenix is great. I do love to spend summers in Portland, Seattle, or Southern California, and the rest of the time in Phoenix, if life was perfect.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:16 AM

4,378 posts, read 9,149,711 times
Worst traffic is 6:30-7:00 a.m to 9:00 a.m., it drops off significantly after 9:00 a.m. The afternoon traffic starts around 2:45-3:00 p.m and runs to about 6:00 pm. I usually work 10-6, or 11-7, and rarely have issues with traffic. IMO, traffic is much lighter on weekends and holidays. Only crappy drivers I've encountered seem to be on I-17 (which I avoid whenever possible TBH) and I-10 north (well west) of the I-10/143/202 curve/split. From that part south/east on I10 it's much better. PHX traffic is much better than Dallas, Atlanta or Houston.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 AM

110 posts, read 76,732 times
First of all I am glad that you visited the Valley of the Sun. I am happy to hear you enjoyed it! Central Phoenix is great because often times you can be close to your work and there are lots of terrific restaurants. The down side of Phoenix is that in my opinion the neighborhoods aren't as great and home price can be hellacious and property tax gets pretty high for nicer areas. I would imagine that apartments can be pretty costly as well. The freeways in Phoenix and Eastern Glendale were some of the first to be built in valley. No one could have foreseen how fast the valley would grow, so the freeways around Phoenix are pretty small for how big we are. Unfortunately, because of Phoenix being built in so much there probably won't be much expansion. However the freeways of the East Valley (East Valley being: Scottsdale, Mesa, South Tempe, Gilbert, and Chandler) are pretty large overall (The U.S 60 that runs through South Mesa is 6 lanes in one direction) However, the challenge that many Phoenix commuters face is getting to the bigger and newer freeways through the old ones that like you said are only 3 lanes in one direction. Commute time to the suburbs is on average 30 minutes to an hour. Depending were you work and live of course. There are three parts of Scottsdale, South Scottsdale, Central Scottsdale, and North Scottsdale. It sounds like the area of Scottsdale you were at was North Scottsdale, which I totally agree it does feel kinda like SoCal. South Scottsdale is pretty mixed, parts of it have been declining over the past 20 years, but, now Scottsdale seems to be really focused on building up apartments and the empty lots and vacated stores are getting torn down and apartments are going up. The western part of South Scottsdale has the Fashion Square Mall (one of the top malls in the country) and Old Town Scottsdale, which has a lot of tourist shops and bars. Housing in South Scottsdale can be pretty expensive, especially with investors now coming in and "flipping" homes. Many homes in this area were built in the 50's to 70's. Central Scottsdale is nicer than South Scottsdale and has some pretty terrific views of the mountain ranges. The down side is that housing starts to get pricy and property tax starts to get pretty high. Granted there are some pockets in the area that are much more reasonable on price and taxes, but overall it's not cheap. I would take a look at McCormick Ranch. A lot of people really like that area. North Scottsdale is pretty much all expensive and high on property taxes. You also get what I call the "North Scottsdale snob" feel. People in this area are pretty stuck up. However it does have some really amazing neighborhoods, but, like I said watch out for property tax. In both Central and North Scottsdale there is a lot of HOA, so be on the look out for some pretty high HOA costs. South Scottsdale is by far the cheapest and property tax is pretty low by-in-large. There also is not a lot of HOA. Hope this helps. I am pretty familiar with real estate and neighborhoods in the valley. If there is anything else you would like to know please ask!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:37 AM

2,851 posts, read 1,760,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Worst traffic is 6:30-7:00 a.m to 9:00 a.m., it drops off significantly after 9:00 a.m. The afternoon traffic starts around 2:45-3:00 p.m and runs to about 6:00 pm. I usually work 10-6, or 11-7, and rarely have issues with traffic. IMO, traffic is much lighter on weekends and holidays. Only crappy drivers I've encountered seem to be on I-17 (which I avoid whenever possible TBH) and I-10 north (well west) of the I-10/143/202 curve/split. From that part south/east on I10 it's much better. PHX traffic is much better than Dallas, Atlanta or Houston.
Yea, I was on I-17 when these people were tailgating me in the slow lane, cutting people off, etc...And by no means I am a pushover driver. I wasn't familiar with the area so I had to drive slower to take my time. I was going 65-70 in the slowest lane possible, yet, these idiots acted like I stole their car.

Oh yea, I love your guys' property tax structure. It's alot "better" than ours. And Phoenix looks like it's on the come up.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 AM

3,022 posts, read 1,771,030 times
I sold my 700 sf townhouse condo in 2013 for 42,000..about 400 yards from 19th Ave. Light Rail. It is actually North Central. Your assessment is fair, but Davis more than Berkeley as far as Tempe. Likely some of the same "dirty people" in all three. 916? Suckramento? I would take Phoenix any day of the week, and close all accounts in CA, and not do business with any bank headquartered in CA, ever. You can check out, but you can never leave. There are horror stories about bank levies for car registration fees..even after people mailed in their plates and registered in Texas. They will let penalties build up, then try after your assets.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,119,352 times
PSA: when referring to plurals, it’s ‘there are’. It should be, “there are malls everywhere”, not “there’s malls everywhere”. There is malls? No. Sorry, I see that misuse all over the place and it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Now that I’m off my soapbox, I’m glad you liked it here and concur with your impressions. Next time, hit up Little Miss BBQ. It’s really popular and usually (always?) has a line, but it lives up to the hype.

What freeways were only three lanes in one direction? I can’t picture one. Most that I travel on have four lanes plus the HOV lane. Our freeways seem to have room for growth as long as correct lane usage gets enforced.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 AM

3,248 posts, read 3,033,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Yea, I was on I-17 when these people were tailgating me in the slow lane, cutting people off, etc...And by no means I am a pushover driver. I wasn't familiar with the area so I had to drive slower to take my time. I was going 65-70 in the slowest lane possible, yet, these idiots acted like I stole their car.

Oh yea, I love your guys' property tax structure. It's alot "better" than ours. And Phoenix looks like it's on the come up.
My suggestion would be to get out of the merge lane. People are trying to come on or get off the freeway in that land. Use the middle or passing lanes...and remember that our HOV lane is only an HOV lane during certain times of the day. You can use that as well outside the posted hours.

Glad you liked our city, yes it gets hot and that usually weeds out the people that really don't want to be here. If we had constant highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s, EVERYONE would want to live here.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,427,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Sorry, I see that misuse all over the place and it’s like nails on a chalkboard.
There just trying to be nice about what they saw their on they're visit. Be nice.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:40 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,138,131 times
You have to go to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa. Even if you hate organ music, which I don't, it was great. Pizza was really good too. Get there early to get a floor seat, it fills up quickly.
Organ Stop Pizza

1149 E Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85204
(480) 813-5700

https://g.co/kgs/xGMHSE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area