Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:39 PM

83 posts, read 62,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
we didnt want to buy in one of these 55+ communities for a variety of reasons, but, we have friends in Trilogy at Vistancia, and when we go there, I dont notice anything like you have stated here; always very busy, and active, and if we wanted that type of "golf course/country club" living, we would have definitely given that strong consideration.

In the end, we decided we wanted to live with all ages, and not in a uniform, cookie cutter type of community, and wanted to be around and interact within a "regular" neighbor hood.
If you want that type of lifestyle for the rest of your life, then it will work out for you; be aware that the HOA and fees in those communities can be pretty high; I think my friend pays almost 300 per month HOA in Vistancia, and I couldnt see paying that much in any HOA, even with all the close by amenities..
Lol, well, I'm a San Francisco girl right now, from NYC, so the highest HOAs among these communities are still less than my cell phone bill. Not really an issue. They're all lower than what I currently pay by way more than 50%.

All ages communities are okay, but most couples are both working all day these days, so they can be ghost towns if you're retired.

We want a community of people our age because they're mostly all home during the day -- plus, if anything happens to one of us, there will be a network and community available for the other one. We've both witnessed our parents aging/dying alone and isolated because they remained in their original neighborhoods while young people moved in all around them. That was a strong driver for our choice.

Also, we travel to visit our kids, they come to see us, we travel to visit siblings and nephews/nieces, and so on, and we also do a bit of adventure traveling as well. We interact regularly with all kinds of people all around the world, so we're not concerned that our lives will be limited to a "uniform, cookie cutter type of community".

I often find it amusing that people think if you choose to make a 55+ community your primary residence, people assume you're either trapped in it, or don't want to do other things, or will ignore the greater community -- ignore the rest of the world, even. Of course we won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Do they all allow smelly, outdoor burning? Is wood-burning allowed?

I don't live in an HOA, but I would buy into one if it had strong restrictions against outdoor burning. We can hardly use our backyard here in the afternoons when we most want to be out because of the horrid, smoky air of various pits, BBQ's, etc.

The outdoor fireplaces, firepits and BBQs are gas-line fires only -- also, I believe, like California, the greater Phoenix area also has a "spare the air" program (of course, the worst days are the hottest days, so probably not a time when you want to be sitting next to an open fire or slaving over a hot grill!).

Old 02-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I see you are extroverts. Believe me when I tell you that living someplace where you are forced to interact with people every day is an introvert's worst nightmare. But glad you found some place you like.
Lol, I guess it would be! But you're not really "forced" to do anything. It's all up to you.

We're also looking at a very isolated cabin in Flagstaff to retreat to during the hot days -- you would probably prefer that!

Old 02-10-2018, 04:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRunner View Post
Lol, well, I'm a San Francisco girl right now, from NYC, so the highest HOAs among these communities are still less than my cell phone bill. Not really an issue. They're all lower than what I currently pay by way more than 50%.

All ages communities are okay, but most couples are both working all day these days, so they can be ghost towns if you're retired.

We want a community of people our age because they're mostly all home during the day -- plus, if anything happens to one of us, there will be a network and community available for the other one. We've both witnessed our parents aging/dying alone and isolated because they remained in their original neighborhoods while young people moved in all around them. That was a strong driver for our choice.

Also, we travel to visit our kids, they come to see us, we travel to visit siblings and nephews/nieces, and so on, and we also do a bit of adventure traveling as well. We interact regularly with all kinds of people all around the world, so we're not concerned that our lives will be limited to a "uniform, cookie cutter type of community".

I often find it amusing that people think if you choose to make a 55+ community your primary residence, people assume you're either trapped in it, or don't want to do other things, or will ignore the greater community -- ignore the rest of the world, even. Of course we won't.
Although many of the 55 plus communities are rather isolated from the greater Metro Area. At least in the Valley they seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area