Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 24,982 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Diamond Bar, Ca and my boyfriend and I are seriously considering moving to Phx/Tucson.

I grew up in Tucson and have always loved Az, so moving back is a great idea...however, my boyfriend has had Kaiser for 30 years or so and loves it, but they don't appear to be in Arizona anywhere.

Any suggestions on an Arizona equivalent? My bf had some fairly recent past health issues and wants the same level of available outstanding care should the need arise in the future. In other words, Kaiser really showed its value when it counted.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
We have BCBS, good coverage and available almost any where.
Has problems in the past with several companies, none with BCBS.
We had Kaiser for years also in N. CA where I think it started during WWII.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:58 PM

24,446 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
We have BCBS, good coverage and available almost any where.
Has problems in the past with several companies, none with BCBS.
We had Kaiser for years also in N. CA where I think it started during WWII.
Interesting read Ken.

History of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program | Kaiser Permanente Thrive Exposed

The history of Kaiser Permanente dates to 1933 in Eagle Mountain / Desert Center, California. There, Garfield opened the Contractors General Hospital, with twelve beds, to treat construction workers building the Los Angeles Aqueduct in the Mojave Desert. The hospital was in a precarious financial state, fueled by Garfield’s desire to treat all patients regardless of their ability to pay. Harold Hatch, an insurance agent, proposed that the insurance companies pay the hospital a total amount, in advance, for each worker covered. The financial relationship between the insurance companies and the hospital was efficient, and allowed Garfield to focus on a new idea: preventative health care.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Interesting, but not the story I heard.
I heard that Kaiser himself opened the original clinic for his workers at the shipyards he ran due to lack of adequate medical care.
Just what i heard years ago.
In checking I see it was founded in the 30s but went public in 1945, done by Henry Kaiser of shipyard fame.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:30 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Hmmm...I would have to say we do NOT have a system like Kaiser in AZ. Closest would be Cigna I guess?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM

We had Kaiser for almost 45 years in CA. It was not the best and far from the worst.
The contract doctors quality could vary like anywhere else.
But if you filed a complaint with Kaiser they took care of the matter too.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Can't answer the Kaiser question, but be prepared for sticker shock on the insurance premium cost here. My plan, 1 adult, 60 YO, is $998/mo with Ambetter. A client tax return I worked on today, him and his wife - he's 60, she's 57 - coverage for the two of them with BCBS is $3200/mo.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 24,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Can't answer the Kaiser question, but be prepared for sticker shock on the insurance premium cost here. My plan, 1 adult, 60 YO, is $998/mo with Ambetter. A client tax return I worked on today, him and his wife - he's 60, she's 57 - coverage for the two of them with BCBS is $3200/mo.

Good Lord that is outrageous and hmmm, I thought it was high when he told me he was paying $650/month for Kaiser as a single guy for all these years.

I will look BCBS up and Ambetter too, interested to see what they are all about.

Thank you kindly for your responses.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Wow, I am sure glad that in retirement we have good medical coverage.
In our plan we pay 40% of the premium but coverage is excellent.
I simply don't understand how low earner incomes can afford insurance today without help from an employer.
Our kids have coverage at some expense and it's not nearly as good as our plan.
I have spent a lot of time with medical care on my back and heart the last 6 years. My copays have been upwards of $11 per year but the bills paid by BCBS have totaled some $750 or close.
Without coverage I guess you file bankruptcy?

Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 PM

310 posts, read 446,553 times
Default Health Insurance Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Wow! Are they paying for the best of the best coverage? What are the prices of Health insurance if one retires before age of Medicare and living on savings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area