U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM

338 posts, read 941,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
Scorpions generally limit themselves to newer homes built on desert areas
From my personal experience, you don't have to live in a newer home to have a scorpion infestation, you just need to live where they live. For example, my home is 11 years old and we definitely have a scorpion problem in our area. We we live right in town but we are surrounded by their natural habitat. However, it is very common to see scorpions in brand new developments because of the ground being freshly dug up and they have been uprooted since some scorpions burrow underground. In all reality, we live in a big desert, so we always have to watch out for the little critters because they can and will show up amost anywhere in this great state of ours. Along with black widows, ants, roaches, crickets, bees, wasps, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:19 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,430,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
Along with black widows, ants, roaches, crickets, bees, wasps, etc.
Dont forget the tarantula hawks. If there is a single bug that creeps me out (yes, its possible), its those. Ugh. I had one buzz my head last June while hiking in the PMP. Im getting the chills just thinking about it.

Mommy!!!!!

lol

Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM

338 posts, read 941,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont forget the tarantula hawks. If there is a single bug that creeps me out (yes, its possible), its those. Ugh. I had one buzz my head last June while hiking in the PMP. Im getting the chills just thinking about it.

Mommy!!!!!

lol
WOW! I did not even know they existed until now. I just googled them! My goodness.... Imagine if one buzzed your head with a tarantula in tow. Creeeeepy!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 10,548,746 times
Quote:

Mommy!!!!!

lol
Really not sure I want to ask, but, do you have a picture of one?

Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
ROFLMAO that was a classic. Do you know if they are natives or illegals.
hahaha, I'm sure they are natives with their life span, however, they are illegal in MY house!

Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Really not sure I want to ask, but, do you have a picture of one?
I wasnt really sure I wanted to look at one myself, but here you go! Knock yourself out!

http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

*shivers*

Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM

642 posts, read 1,430,649 times
Ewww. Been here many many years never seen one of them. If I do I think I will call UNCLE,lol

Ama

Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
Ewww. Been here many many years never seen one of them. If I do I think I will call UNCLE,lol

Ama
Theyre brutally freaky! I love bugs and all, but those? "Uncle" is right!

My first experience was back in 1996 up in Winslow. We were staying at a campground and I went into the johns to take a whiz. While standing there I heard a big ol smack/thud/whack sound over and over. I looked up and there was a tarantula hawk repeatedly smacking against the light fixture. I froze. At one point it kinda fell outta the air about 1/2 way down to the floor and regained its flight and shot back up to the light. Ive never zipped my pants and run so fast in my life. Dangit, if I get a nightmare about them tonight, Im gonna have to blame myself for it!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 PM

264 posts, read 694,837 times
Oh man, those things are huge.. I hate flying bugs more than anything.. Yellow jackets are the worst.. Little bastards that will chase and sting you for kicks.

I'd almost prefer a Tarantula hawk so I can see what i'm running from, lol.

Big bugs>Little Bugs

Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I wasnt really sure I wanted to look at one myself, but here you go! Knock yourself out!

http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

*shivers*
Not terribly gross to look at, but I certainly don't want to run into one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area