Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 PM

94 posts, read 394,965 times

Advertisements

In the several months I've been reading this forum, this is the first conversation that has truly freaked me out. I do not handle bugs well, especially flying types. I turned down a job in Houston for various reasons, one being that I absolutely don't want to live in palmetto bug country.

Most of the people I've talked to have been in the "bugs? what bugs?" category, but now I'm nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plin View Post
In the several months I've been reading this forum, this is the first conversation that has truly freaked me out. I do not handle bugs well, especially flying types. I turned down a job in Houston for various reasons, one being that I absolutely don't want to live in palmetto bug country.

Most of the people I've talked to have been in the "bugs? what bugs?" category, but now I'm nervous.
There is a mind-boggling diversity of insect life in the desert. Actually seeing more than a handful of the many species is uncommon unless you make an effort. Rather than be frightened at the prospect of encountering these things, you should realize that the vast, vast majority of these insect species are entirely harmless to you and be in awe of the amazing adaption of life to a harsh environment that they represent.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:

Palmetto bugs are a local name for the American cockroach. This roach is found throughout the southern tier of states including Arizona. It is the bug posters are calling a "sewer roach" in this thread. Welcome to ???

Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 PM

94 posts, read 394,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Palmetto bugs are a local name for the American cockroach. This roach is found throughout the southern tier of states including Arizona. It is the bug posters are calling a "sewer roach" in this thread. Welcome to ???
Ugh. I thought I would be avoiding them by choosing a dry area. This is going to be interesting, I guess.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 AM

31 posts, read 162,905 times
Exclamation How did this thread explode with creppy-crawlees???

Didn't realize the pandora's box that opened here!

I am definitely not a fan of flying Palmetto bugs/roaches/whatever you want to call these freaky things, Tarantula hawks, etc. I have PTSD from when I was kid living in the tropics with huge creepy/crawly insects that always end up in my pockets, and from watching a moview several years ago about an explorer who went to Africa (played by a well-known actor- I just can't recall the name of the movie), and ended up destroying one of his ears because some giant insect decided to go in...

Let be take a breath here

I am counting on using my common sense to try to avoid situations where I am running into these things on a day to day basis (though I am concerned about being swarmed by flying insects).

BTW- I do find it fascinating, in some morbid way, about how the Tarantula hawk paralyses its prey and lays its eggs in the abdomen....

Quote:
Ugh. I thought I would be avoiding them by choosing a dry area. This is going to be interesting, I guess.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:55 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
Really I would not worry. I have lived here since the age of nine. Sure there are some freaky looking bugs, but they are not in your face every day. If you really worry, just hire a bug guy to come spray. I hate bugs, they freak me out, but I sill live here and do not stress about it. When I see them, for example a spider, I just get out a shoe or call my husband to go get it,lol You will be fine. I will take this over the mile long mosquitoes back East that like to hunt you down.

Ama

Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
I will take this over the mile long mosquitoes back East
What the?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
LOL, exaggerating a bit, but man they sure are big back there!

Ama

Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
LOL, exaggerating a bit, but man they sure are big back there!

Ama
If you think those are big, what do you think of the tarantula hawks down there then?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 PM

31 posts, read 162,905 times
Default Giant crab spiders....

Quote:
Really I would not worry. I have lived here since the age of nine. Sure there are some freaky looking bugs, but they are not in your face every day. If you really worry, just hire a bug guy to come spray. I hate bugs, they freak me out, but I sill live here and do not stress about it. When I see them, for example a spider, I just get out a shoe or call my husband to go get it,lol You will be fine. I will take this over the mile long mosquitoes back East that like to hunt you down.

Ama
Have you seen a giant crab spider while in Arizona? I was talking to a guy here at work about the thread, and decided to freak me out some more just because he's jealous about my move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area