Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:10 PM

179 posts, read 322,878 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from out of state next week, and will be driving a 16' rental truck. Can anyone tell me if I need to stop at the weigh stations on I-10? I'm finding conflicting information online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM

370 posts, read 1,558,141 times
Requirements for stopping at weigh stations are posted. I moved and don't recall stopping at any weigh stations. I think the requirements are for COMMERCIAL vehicles..There is a weight limitation posted for your vehicle If a police officer wants to pull you over for a weight violation they will. Additionally, if you are moving you should have a truck weighed empty and full for tax purposes or for reimbursement (from an employer, if authorized). Other than that, I have no idea.....

Old 03-15-2018, 06:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,433,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
I'm moving from out of state next week, and will be driving a 16' rental truck. Can anyone tell me if I need to stop at the weigh stations on I-10? I'm finding conflicting information online.
Check the GVWR on the truck, if it is over 10,000lbs you have to pull into a weigh station. They aren't just for big rigs (I'm a truck driver so I know the rules)

Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,560,823 times
Every time I've moved with a commercial rental truck (Hertz, Uhaul, Budget), I've had to pull into the weigh stations. It's a formality usually and I was always waived thru, but I still had to, in every state I went thru.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:50 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,591,133 times
I've skipped them in AZ, NM, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana & Michigan like six different trips, pulling cars on trailers every time as well.. The only state that kinda-sorta looks like they'd actually want you to stop is Texas (based on the wording of the signs in Texas).. The others were worded such that there wasn't a clear need to stop.

To each his own, but if you're moving your own personal goods, I see no reason to stop & I've never been hassled. Rental trucks are usually driven by inexperienced drivers, so I doubt you would get "Rodney King-Ed" for bypassing them..

Especially in a 16 foot truck, he odds of you being overweight are pretty slim unless you're carrying *lots* of ammo

Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I've skipped them in AZ, NM, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana & Michigan like six different trips, pulling cars on trailers every time as well.. The only state that kinda-sorta looks like they'd actually want you to stop is Texas (based on the wording of the signs in Texas).. The others were worded such that there wasn't a clear need to stop.

To each his own, but if you're moving your own personal goods, I see no reason to stop & I've never been hassled. Rental trucks are usually driven by inexperienced drivers, so I doubt you would get "Rodney King-Ed" for bypassing them..

Especially in a 16 foot truck, he odds of you being overweight are pretty slim unless you're carrying *lots* of ammo
The reason that rental trucks have to pull into open scales is so DOT can do a inspection on them if they look unsafe. And any truck with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs (which includes Class 4-Class 6 box trucks) is subject to Federal Motor Carrier rules. You are generally required to have a DOT medical card (which you obtain by going to an urgent care or doctor and getting a "DOT Physical") to drive any truck with air brakes, even if the truck doesn't require a CDL (this varies by state, in some states, any truck with air brakes requires a Class B CDL; while others, only Class 7 or Class 8 trucks require a Class B if single unit or Class A if combination).

Like I say, I'm a Class A truck driver, so all these rules have been drilled into my head over the years

Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,591,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The reason that rental trucks have to pull into open scales is so DOT can do a inspection on them if they look unsafe. And any truck with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs (which includes Class 4-Class 6 box trucks) is subject to Federal Motor Carrier rules. You are generally required to have a DOT medical card (which you obtain by going to an urgent care or doctor and getting a "DOT Physical") to drive any truck with air brakes, even if the truck doesn't require a CDL (this varies by state, in some states, any truck with air brakes requires a Class B CDL; while others, only Class 7 or Class 8 trucks require a Class B if single unit or Class A if combination).

Like I say, I'm a Class A truck driver, so all these rules have been drilled into my head over the years
You're doing it for money - you need a "commercial" driver's license to drive anything (for money). The OP is driving a small box-truck (with hydraulic brakes) to carry personal goods. Big difference.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You're doing it for money - you need a "commercial" driver's license to drive anything (for money). The OP is driving a small box-truck (with hydraulic brakes) to carry personal goods. Big difference.
But again, if the truck has a GVWR over 10,000lbs, it has to pull into open weigh stations; that rule is blanket, and I explained why, so DOT can inspect it if they want. Doesn't matter if it's a moving rental truck or not

Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Check the GVWR on the truck, if it is over 10,000lbs you have to pull into a weigh station. They aren't just for big rigs (I'm a truck driver so I know the rules)
Not well enough I guess. No, rental trucks like you're speaking of (Penske,UHaul) do not have to pull through scales under any Federal law. Some states can vary what they require but for most it's a heavy weight, average 26,000 pounds + except of course CA which LOVES to generate revenue whenever and from whomever they can.

As has been said before, as long as you're driving something for personal use, not "for hire" scales can be bypassed which is why you don't see 5th wheels or RV's in scales in most states...

Quote:
IN WHAT STATES DO I NEED TO STOP AT A WEIGH STATION?

If you'd like to know more about the individual states that you will be passing through you had better be prepared for a lot of work. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of confusion surrounding this topic because there is rarely an official answer. If you call an individual state's Department of Transportation you may get varying answers from different people. We've published a summary and links for the state's which have officially published information on this topic.
https://www.movinglabor.com/blog/do-...a-rental-truck

Last edited by jimj; 03-17-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,861,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Every time I've moved with a commercial rental truck (Hertz, Uhaul, Budget), I've had to pull into the weigh stations. It's a formality usually and I was always waived thru, but I still had to, in every state I went thru.
No, depending on the state you CHOSE to which is why you were waved through.

Last edited by jimj; 03-17-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area